Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Which i1 Pro/x5 firmware is everyone using?

Reaction score
Website
www.jackypoon.org
Hi guys, just a quick post to see which firmware is everyone using for the x5 and why that specific one? I mean we all know how good DJI is and with all those firmware they've provided us really fixing all the issues we ever had...
Anyway on a serious note, I am looking for a firmware with the best balance of IQ/noise/sharpness without crying about the occasional flicking problem etc... I feel like I'm just asking too much here but don't hurt to put the question out there :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Latest firmware for myself.
Pros:
-d-log and d-cinelike are sharp now on 0 setting
-1080p60 setting is usable now and doesn't look vastly different from the other settings as it did before
-gimbal characteristics supposedly improved. I see no difference
-More options available for Osmo settings without crashing the app
-Flickering in dark areas reduced, it is still there by my eye but much better

Cons:
-extreme noise in certain low-lighting situations or at iso400 and above (others have experienced noise in different circumstances)

I haven't done any shoots at iso400 or above, just quick tests, and yes the noise is bad. You will have to download and install to see if it is right for you. Personally I was used to using the old firmware and working around the issues, so this is a 3 steps forward 2 steps back release for me with the introduction of the iso noise.

Reactions: Jacky Poon
I am shooting a lot of low light these days so I am on 0.60 as the noise is tolerable up to ISO 400. Not using D-Log or D-Cine as they are totally broken on 0.60. It's less than ideal.

It sure would be nice if DJI got around to fixing this. It's only been 6 months! :eek:

I am shooting a lot of low light these days so I am on 0.60 as the noise is tolerable up to ISO 400. Not using D-Log or D-Cine as they are totally broken on 0.60. It's less than ideal.

It sure would be nice if DJI got around to fixing this. It's only been 6 months! :eek:

It is almost laughable. When I first got the X5 I had a job filming in very low light. The footage was superb, I was shooting at ISO800 and ISO1600 with surprisingly clean results Then the next firmware was an absolute disaster for low light. I haven't tried the most recent firmware yet, but it seems that they are all over the place still. Its very difficult because you get all your settings just right and then the new firmware comes out and you have to spend ages tweaking every setting again, and adapt to the next screw up they do with the firmware.

Rushing to bring out new products all the time and never spending time fixing what they have. I guess we just have to accept it but its incredibly frustrating.

After a company like this takes your money. They don't care about happy customers. It's more about the profit and the bottom line.

Reactions: gruvpix
Latest firmware for myself.
Pros:
-d-log and d-cinelike are sharp now on 0 setting
-1080p60 setting is usable now and doesn't look vastly different from the other settings as it did before
-gimbal characteristics supposedly improved. I see no difference
-More options available for Osmo settings without crashing the app
-Flickering in dark areas reduced, it is still there by my eye but much better

Cons:
-extreme noise in certain low-lighting situations or at iso400 and above (others have experienced noise in different circumstances)

I haven't done any shoots at iso400 or above, just quick tests, and yes the noise is bad. You will have to download and install to see if it is right for you. Personally I was used to using the old firmware and working around the issues, so this is a 3 steps forward 2 steps back release for me with the introduction of the iso noise.
Thanks buddy. Yes i've heard good things about the newest FW but not taken the leap yet... the noise issue is what bother me the most tbh. Do you happen to have a 4K screen grab either from D or cineD? Thanks.

Hmm I don't know how much they can fix... with such high compression rate and all that detail the Logs are trying to retain its just don't feel quite possible to fix everything completely? I reckon they can 'fix' one end of the scale and the other end is likely to tip...

You mean v1.3.0.60? I am using that right now and the noise level makes me cry a lot inside... :(

It is almost laughable. When I first got the X5 I had a job filming in very low light. The footage was superb, I was shooting at ISO800 and ISO1600 with surprisingly clean results Then the next firmware was an absolute disaster for low light. I haven't tried the most recent firmware yet, but it seems that they are all over the place still. Its very difficult because you get all your settings just right and then the new firmware comes out and you have to spend ages tweaking every setting again, and adapt to the next screw up they do with the firmware.

Rushing to bring out new products all the time and never spending time fixing what they have. I guess we just have to accept it but its incredibly frustrating.
I am on the same boat mate... honest don't know how they managed to make things so much worse in such short time. I mean I am simply trying to match the same picture from a shoot in Dec for the same production so they can simplify the post process, but all seems impossible at the moment...

As for now I am still on v1.3.0.60 with profile none @ 0 -1 -1, or the occasional CineD on +1 0 0 , both with ETTR
Result is acceptable but by all means not good. Any other suggestions on that? Cheers.

Thanks buddy. Yes i've heard good things about the newest FW but not taken the leap yet... the noise issue is what bother me the most tbh. Do you happen to have a 4K screen grab either from D or cineD? Thanks.
I posted screen shots in the original firmware thread for the latest release, shouldn't be too hard to find

I posted screen shots in the original firmware thread for the latest release, shouldn't be too hard to find
Oh yes oh yes I saw them back then actually and was impressed by the CineD shot outdoor. That said, do you notice any dancing noise under the shadow of the trees on the left side of the frame? I shoot everything outdoor and most likely at dawn and dusk... just wondering how badly the noise present themselves over in the shadows and the blacks. Cheers.

It is quite a confusing matter for those that have an Inspire V1 and then added the X5 to it, I say this because effectively you have 3 latest firmwares out there:

Inspire 1 Firmware V1.7.0.90 updated 17th March 2016

Inspire Pro V1.4.0.70 updated 7th March 2016

Zenmuse X5 V1.3.0.60 updated 22nd December 2015

On the release notes for the Inspire 1 firmware released yesterday it states the following "Camera version v1.7.0.90 and aircraft version v1.6.0.40 should be displayed on DJI GO as this update is only for the gimbal and camera system. The version will only display correctly in DJI GO after connecting to the Internet when upgrade is complete."

So are they talking about the X3 or when you add the X5?

Bottom line I'm trying to get to is if you had an original Inspire V1 and then added the X5 camera what firmware should you actually be loading:

1. The inspire V1 firmware
2. The Inspire Pro firmware
3. The Zenmuse X5 firmware
4. A combination of the inspire V1 and then the Zenmuse X5

No one seems to have a real definite answer to it!

Reactions: Droneando
It is quite a confusing matter for those that have an Inspire V1 and then added the X5 to it, I say this because effectively you have 3 latest firmwares out there:

Inspire 1 Firmware V1.7.0.90 updated 17th March 2016

Inspire Pro V1.4.0.70 updated 7th March 2016

Zenmuse X5 V1.3.0.60 updated 22nd December 2015

On the release notes for the Inspire 1 firmware released yesterday it states the following "Camera version v1.7.0.90 and aircraft version v1.6.0.40 should be displayed on DJI GO as this update is only for the gimbal and camera system. The version will only display correctly in DJI GO after connecting to the Internet when upgrade is complete."

So are they talking about the X3 or when you add the X5?

Bottom line I'm trying to get to is if you had an original Inspire V1 and then added the X5 camera what firmware should you actually be loading:

1. The inspire V1 firmware
2. The Inspire Pro firmware
3. The Zenmuse X5 firmware
4. A combination of the inspire V1 and then the Zenmuse X5

No one seems to have a real definite answer to it!

I have the same doubt...

I've been told on here that I should have the Inspire Pro firmware for my upgraded I1. That is what I have installed and everything seem to work just fine.

Reactions: gruvpix
Oh yes oh yes I saw them back then actually and was impressed by the CineD shot outdoor. That said, do you notice any dancing noise under the shadow of the trees on the left side of the frame? I shoot everything outdoor and most likely at dawn and dusk... just wondering how badly the noise present themselves over in the shadows and the blacks. Cheers.
Outdoor shots are pretty good, or no worse than they were before if I am really analyzing them. There is still that dancing noise in areas that are darker and also finer in terms of sharp edges (for example grass or tracked out dirt). There is still a small amount of flicker present in the dark areas as well, but seemingly only on static shots. Overall though anything shot outside in good lighting has looked about the best it has since the original firmware (on d-cinelike), also inside stuff looks pretty good on iso200 or below. Afraid to try iso400 on paid shoots so don't have much besides that original test I did in the other thread.

Reactions: Jacky Poon
Outdoor shots are pretty good, or no worse than they were before if I am really analyzing them. There is still that dancing noise in areas that are darker and also finer in terms of sharp edges (for example grass or tracked out dirt). There is still a small amount of flicker present in the dark areas as well, but seemingly only on static shots. Overall though anything shot outside in good lighting has looked about the best it has since the original firmware (on d-cinelike), also inside stuff looks pretty good on iso200 or below. Afraid to try iso400 on paid shoots so don't have much besides that original test I did in the other thread.
Brilliant, thanks for the detailed info much appreciated!;)
Just been given a tech guide on the upcoming shoot and frankly they want me to shoot with 'none' @ 0, 0, 0 .... End of the day a much safer bet it all seems lol. Such a shame this is all the glory of the I1 Pro comes down to in the end...:(

Hi apsussex - couldn't agree with you more. I'd be happy if they left the firmware where it is up to now. Every time I go out to fly I'm half expecting to get a warning that I need to upgrade my firmware.

Incidentally I'm based up in Horsham and if you ever fancied getting together for a coffee let me know. I've seen some of your landscape material and think it is very well executed. Here is a photo I took recently at Chanctonbury Ring.Chantonbury 5.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207