Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Which iPad do you need?

Ok so I just answered my own question by reading the User Manual. You need a GPS enabled device for the Dynamic Home Point.

"2.7 Dynamic Home Point
Dynamic home point is useful in situations when you are in motion and require a Home point that is different from the
takeoff point. Dynamic home point is only available to the GPS-enabled mobile device. Turn on GPS and data service
to obtain higher accuracy of the mobile device position. The Home point will be reset to position of the mobile device at specific time intervals. Select Dynamic Home Point from the “Camera” page in DJI Pilot App. "

I bought ipad air2 without cellular, announced wifi, thought to use it inspire1

According to a DJI rep, the transmitter has its own GPS, eliminating the need for a GPS enabled tablet.

"There is a gps unit in the tx. That allows for dynamic home point that is device independent. Good for me as my iPad mini has no cellular service, only wifi."

This does seem to conflict with info in the manual.

I believe you need at least an A7 processor on the iOS device. I had an iPad 3 but that would not work. I now have an Air 2.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
So I guess that means that the GPS data from the transmitter is transmitted to the Inspire. What unit would receive the data on the bird? Is it the GPS unit in the bird or is it more likely the NAV unit?

So I guess that means that the GPS data from the transmitter is transmitted to the Inspire. What unit would receive the data on the bird? Is it the GPS unit in the bird or is it more likely the NAV unit?

The GPS data is transmitted from the transmitter to the flight controller in the Inspire 1. This tells the flight controller where the transmitter is, thereby giving the Inspire a new home point to to return to when the transmitter moves. This is called Dynamic Home Point.

Also note to everyone, if you are buying an iPad mini, the only difference from the mini 2 to the mini 3 is the new "Touch ID" finger print scanner, not sure if that is worth $100. Just FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The GPS data is transmitted from the transmitter to the flight controller in the Inspire 1. This tells the flight controller where the transmitter is, thereby giving the Inspire a new home point to to return to when the transmitter moves. This is called Dynamic Home Point.
Adam - do you know how frequently the flight controller is updated by the transmitter? Is it every few seconds? Is the power and range of that transmission similar to the signal? Is it embedded into the control signal?

Adam - do you know how frequently the flight controller is updated by the transmitter? Is it every few seconds? Is the power and range of that transmission similar to the signal? Is it embedded into the control signal?
Every two seconds and yes it is embedded from what i heard.
I am going from memory...and mine sucks tbough. Lol.

Everything goes over the same signal - it's like the Lightbridge - a 2.4Ghz connection that has data, control, and video all packaged together.

I could be wrong, but I believe you need cellular connection to obtain the map display?

You just need to cache the maps before you leave your house - you can download the maps from a particular area where you are going to fly at home over WiFi before you go out to fly.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Since i will likely have to get two controllers i was considering using my sony tablet for one and maybe using my i phone for now for the other or my sumsung..but it sucks in bright light.
i wish i could use my macbook pro..it has wifi..but i think they need to have the app installed..so i need an android etc.
I wonder if you could use a laptop for the second for camera control?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters