Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

While decending fast the inspire 2 dips to one side

Reaction score
Any clue why this happens? If I am coming down fast the drone tips about 3 inches to one side only and straightens up quickly several times. What would cause this? Only happens when coming down fast. Other than that it flies perfectly.

Any clue why this happens? If I am coming down fast the drone tips about 3 inches to one side only and straightens up quickly several times. What would cause this? Only happens when coming down fast. Other than that it flies perfectly.

Station-keeping? Adjusting for winds aloft?

This is covered previously on the forum...

It is because you are descending into your own prop wash which is turbulent air.
Although there have been very few cases of VRS (Vortex Ring State) with the Inspire (which is why it's descent speed is limited) it can happen so be aware.

You will never get completely smooth decent coming straight down because of the 'dirty' air from the props.

Reactions: DDJJR74
Not much to worry about, it's quite normal. Any quadcopter will wobble a bit while descending fast straight vertically. This is caused by air turbulences produced by propellers, which a drone is constantly passing thru. IMU will compensate, but to avoid this annoyance descending in zig-zag fashion will eliminate such effect. You may decrease default descend speed from within DJI Go 4 app settings as well, if this makes you nervous ...

Last edited:
During the return to the base, usually activated for convenience and necessity with the Home button on the Remote Controller, returning from great altitudes and distances, at about 22-19% of battery, I pilot it to descend quickly, even at the maximum descend speed, at 10m/s, along a more or less diagonal trajectory.
It is certainly not a turbulence-free descent, but after hundreds of flights like this, I don't worry, it's just normal.
Of course to do this need some modings.

During the return to the base, usually activated for convenience and necessity with the Home button on the Remote Controller, returning from great altitudes and distances, at about 22-19% of battery, I pilot it to descend quickly, even at the maximum descend speed, at 10m/s, along a more or less diagonal trajectory.
It is certainly not a turbulence-free descent, but after hundreds of flights like this, I don't worry, it's just normal.
Of course to do this need some modings.
"Of course to do this need some modings."

Can you elaborate on this, please?

"Of course to do this need some modings."

Can you elaborate on this, please?
Software/Firmware modings, and customized setting in Assistant 2.
Hardware modings to install CF T-Motor 1555 props [or Eolo by Sunnysky, or Supreme by Foxtech] and two splitted 3S Li-HV batteries added on the arms.

Software/Firmware modings, and customized setting in Assistant 2.
Hardware modings to install CF T-Motor 1555 props [or Eolo by Sunnysky, or Supreme by Foxtech] and two splitted 3S Li-HV batteries added on the arms.
Still confused ... What all these mods has to do with Inspire 2 descending behaviour :) ?

Still confused ... What all these mods has to do with Inspire 2 descending behaviour :) ?
I quickly wrote you all the types of mods I made, just because you asked me, extending the description.
Anyway, the first mod that changes the behavior is the addition of weight on the arms, then there are the CF propellers, removing the DJI quick couplings [badly made], and without software-firmware mods you cannot descend at 10m/s, cannot change the accelerations, the automatic return speed, cancel the precautionary return to home and forced landing, imposed by the DJI software which considers the batteries too low to stay in the air, even if is not true.
Each modification can produce small or big differences during the flight.

I have reported my experience to reassure DDJJR74 perplexed by the behaviour of his Inspire during the fast coming down... that I think, maybe is not so fast, not 10m/s.

Still confused?

I quickly wrote you all the types of mods I made, just because you asked me, extending the description.
Anyway, the first mod that changes the behavior is the addition of weight on the arms, then there are the CF propellers, removing the DJI quick couplings [badly made], and without software-firmware mods you cannot descend at 10m/s, cannot change the accelerations, the automatic return speed, cancel the precautionary return to home and forced landing, imposed by the DJI software which considers the batteries too low to stay in the air, even if is not true.
Each modification can produce small or big differences during the flight.

I have reported my experience to reassure DDJJR74 perplexed by the behaviour of his Inspire during the fast coming down... that I think, maybe is not so fast, not 10m/s.

Still confused?
Your kind and detailed response eliminated my confusion, thank you :). It doesn't matter if your mods are actually improving the stability of Inspire's quick straight down descend or not. As long as you're happy with your bird's performance, everything is OK ...

Last edited:
Any clue why this happens? If I am coming dow9n fast the drone tips about 3 inches to one side only and straightens up quickly several times. What would cause this? Only happens when coming down fast. Other than that it flies perfectly.
If you are descending fast straight down, the drone is descending into its own downwash and it can get into vortex ring state. I gues DJI might have built in an automatic recovery system by tilting the drone and thus escaping the vortex ring state. I would suggest to always fly forward or side to side when descending, instead of straight down.

If you are descending fast straight down, the drone is descending into its own downwash and it can get into vortex ring state. I gues DJI might have built in an automatic recovery system by tilting the drone and thus escaping the vortex ring state. I would suggest to always fly forward or side to side when descending, instead of straight down.

I know it's difficult to read upside down, but this phenomenon was explained several replies earlier ... Just kidding, my friend :D!

I know it's difficult to read upside down, but this phenomenon was explained several replies earlier ... Just kidding, my friend :D!
Sorry. I did not read the entire thread. As soon as you are aware of the VRS phenomenon and adjust the way you fly during descend, you should be fine. As for tilting to one side it is purely my speculation?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickolas74