Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

White Balance w/ X5S

Reaction score
Hi guys,

How are you managing White Balance on the X5S? I am not finding an option to shoot a card. I would love to hear what is working for you.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

How are you managing White balance on the X5S? I am not finding an option to shoot a card. I would love to here what is working for you.
Just shoot fixed value - then adjust in post if necessary.
Experiment with around 5700k (if shooting daylight).
Some ND's will throw an off-set but once you get used to your filters you will know what to add or subtract.

Is Auto White Balance continually adjusting on record or is it locked at a Kelvin value while shooting?

Is Auto White Balance continually adjusting on record or is it locked at a Kelvin value while shooting?
It will continuously adjust which is why it is useless.
DJI do not make 'real' cameras so there are no professional adjustments to enable you to set up WB off set or tracking speed and a multitude of other adjustments.
Don't use auto WB it will come back and bite you with adjustment mid shot which is a nightmare to key frame out in post.

Thanks EdMod,

Yup. Once we get to RAW it will matter less as long as everything is locked down. For now, messing with 264 and 265 files, getting it as close as possible in camera is the goal. It is at least nice that the system will hold/show the last auto setting when you switch to manual (Kelvin). I appreciate your advice!

Thanks EdMod,

Yup. Once we get to RAW it will matter less as long as everything is locked down. For now, messing with 264 and 265 files, getting it as close as possible in camera is the goal. It is at least nice that the system will hold/show the last auto setting when you switch to manual (Kelvin). I appreciate your advice!
Unfortunatelly when switching from Auto WB to Custom only K value is transfered but not the Tint M/G value. The Auto WB does have Tint available to achieve the best WB but the Tint value is hidden from view and it can not be adjusted in Custom WB. I was told that DJI is working on this and the Tint Magenta -Green slider will become reality in next version of GO4. Apparently coming sooon, whatever that means in DJI language..
To me the best color for daylight sunshine is with WB set to around 5200K in Custom WB.

Last edited:
Reactions: slim.slamma
Getting easier by the day
I am aware of zone metering but it applies more to exposure than WB. TBH I am not sure how chart like that could be helping with WB. WB is not really that complicated and "correct" WB is very subjective in most situations anyway. Unless you are shooting paintings for archival purposes it does not need to be 100% accurate.
If we can get Manual WB in GO4 with Temperature slider for K and Tint slider for Magenta/Green, that should satisfy even the most color conscious operators.

Last edited:
Reactions: slim.slamma
This is what I do for wb. When I have my camera pointed in the area I am shooting, I'll have wb in auto. Then I will switch to the Kelvin adjustment before I start recording. It will carry over the setting from auto.

You can also do this with a gray card while on the ground. Keep wb in auto, put the gray card in front of the camera and then switch to manual. It will lock that Kelvin temperature.

This is what I do for wb. When I have my camera pointed in the area I am shooting, I'll have wb in auto. Then I will switch to the Kelvin adjustment before I start recording. It will carry over the setting from auto.

You can also do this with a gray card while on the ground. Keep wb in auto, put the gray card in front of the camera and then switch to manual. It will lock that Kelvin temperature.
This is a common misconception many fall for. WB consists of color temperature expressed in Kelvin degree (K) and Magenta/Green tint generally known as Tint. When you do what do, only the K information gets transfered over to Custom WB but without the Tint information. That is the major problem with DJI implementation of WB in GO4. They are now aware of it and promissed to fix it in next GO4 version. No time given though....

Last edited:
Reactions: AerialPerceptions

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84