Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

White Balancing Tip - Has Anyone Tried This?

Reaction score
I have been messing with the white balance settings and I think I've discovered a way to get a better wb instead of using presets.

What I've been doing is when I am in the air, I'll put wb in auto. I will then switch it to manual. Whatever the Kelvin temperature that auto determined will show up on manual and keep it locked.

Going to test this same idea using a white or 18% gray card and see if it works.

I have been messing with the white balance settings and I think I've discovered a way to get a better wb instead of using presets.

What I've been doing is when I am in the air, I'll put wb in auto. I will then switch it to manual. Whatever the Kelvin temperature that auto determined will show up on manual and keep it locked.

Going to test this same idea using a white or 18% gray card and see if it works.
I think I tried that. It's a great idea. I think that I was afraid that after switching back to manual that it would revert back to whatever I last had manual set at. Please keep us posted. Especially as it compares to the Gray card. If it does do a good job it would also be a great way to get a more accurate wb with a certain ND filter on. As a Davinci color grader correcting is never a big deal, but it would be nice to have what the camera choose as good reference.

This is a standard procedure for photographers working in a studio to ensure the WB is correct for all the light modifiers. This is a controlled environment so if u do a grey card setting outside, make sure the grey card is located in the same light that you will be filming, eg don’t make the setting in the shade then go film in sunshine, you’ll end up with very yellow footage.

Which aircraft and camera are you using for this procedure?

Yes. Slim.slamma had did the gray card test go?
I tried ArielPerception suggestion but in the heat of the moment...
confused myself. Hopefully I’ll get a shot to try again today.

As for Grey Card test, this is my first ever real camera so I’m not fully up to speed yet.
You the closest member to me & I just might have to pay you a visit to make sure I got my ducks in a row.

I tried ArielPerception suggestion but in the heat of the moment...
confused myself. Hopefully I’ll get a shot to try again today.

As for Grey Card test, this is my first ever real camera so I’m not fully up to speed yet.
You the closest member to me & I just might have to pay you a visit to make sure I got my ducks in a row.
Your always welcome. No pay necessary!

Reactions: slim.slamma
Just set the WB to sunny or cloudy for daytime video. it’s unlikely you’ll improve much on this. Far more important to select the right filter and nail the exposure manually. Setting WB using a 18% grey card is most used for indoor photography, unusual light scenarios, portaits, products, fine art reproduction, etc. If you’re trying to capture a sunset just settle for a nominal WB (depending whether u prefer warm image or deep blue skies) because color temperature changes quickly at sunset.

Last edited:
Reactions: slim.slamma
Ccuriious, what’s on your wish list of getting the ducks in a row?
Ahhh probably just some pointers on what I might be doing wrong.
Tutorial and MY Inspire Forum is awesome but sometimes live on the set it’s easier to communicate. I normally stick to myself but I do wish I had a live mentor!

I’ve been thinking of taking a class at Adorama at home in th city but I’m never home.

Far more important to select the right filter and nail the exposure manually. Setting WB using a 50% grey card is most used for indoor photography, unusual light scenarios, portaits, products, fine art reproduction, etc. If you’re trying to capture a sunset just settle for a nominal WB (depending whether u prefer warm image or deep blue skies) because color temperature changes quickly at sunset.

Yes Sir

Tutorial and MY Inspire Forum is awesome but sometimes live on the set it’s easier to communicate. I normally stick to myself but I do wish I had a live mentor!

I’ve been thinking of taking a class at Adorama at home in th city but I’m never home.

Yes Sir
hit youtube slim, a wealth of information

Yes Sir
So I have no idea if I can be any help to you at all. I have been flying for 5 years, 2 107 certified and still consider my self an intensely average pilot:rolleyes:
On the other hand, I am 56-year-old photographer and a career video producer-editor and DaVinci color grader. In my opinion, those are the skills (especially the photography and post skills) that have gotten me the best results as drone cinematographer. I say, cinematographer, as I rarely take still images (I have no idea why).

Anyway if you have the time and/or interest, please feel free to come out for a day and I will show you everything I know. What we will do after that 15 minutes is up I have no clue;)

Robert

Unless you don't care much about the quality of the final product, you're going to change the color balance when editing. So pick a number between 4500 and 5500, lock it in and adjust as needed when editing.

Yup - what Ian said. ^^^^^^

Auto WB total waste of time since it will dynamically change with scene change. Keyframing out WB tracking errors is a nightmare to do in post.

Set it, lock it. forget it. Adjust as desired once you are at the edit suite.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shipjoy