Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Why Handwritten Flight Logs?

Reaction score
I have heard in many conversations the importance of keeping an actual handwritten flight log. I assume this is failsafe rather than depending on the DJI GO App Logs to stay around forever. I understand that completely, but why handwritten instead of using one of the many app out there or simply keeping in a digital file of some sorts?

What makes the handwritten logs the highly suggested method for logging your flights?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert, but I make handwritten notes about each flight to avoid taking attention from the aircraft and the Pilot / Go app. I have my camp table set up, with my checklists and flight plan printed out in a small 3-ring binder, and a pen ready. Before taking off, I note environmental data about the area (wind, power lines, highest obstacle for RTH failsafe height), note key items of interest in the area to film, etc. While flying, I can make quick notes about MOD values or other data, visibility problems or other control issues (e.g. bugs in my face, make a note to put on bug repellent!), suggestions to myself regarding better procedures or updates to my documents, etc., all real-time rather than trying to remember it later. When I get home, I take some time to review the handwritten notes, update my documents, etc.

Taking handwritten notes for later interpretation and review is quick and easy, and doesn't have me jumping between apps, messing with a touch-screen keyboard, etc. It does require some preparation and a writing surface, but I've got my methods down pretty well. Works for me, but as I said, I'm no expert.

mTp

Monroe, thanks for your response. I think handwritten logs seem more legit, I don't know why, they could be faked as easy as digital ones, but it seems less likely.

Do you think it is best to have a separate log book for each aircraft?

The Go-App keeps a good aircraft log that can be useful. Healtydrone.com can be used to convert the logs to meaningful information about each flight.

If you possibly could be moving into the commercial realm, a pilot logbook will be very valuable in either getting a job in the industry or proving your experience for another purpose such as qualifications for insurance.

Log books and checklists have always been important in the aviation industry and the more you use the best practices of a "real" aircraft, the more you will set yourself apart from the masses.

Reactions: Chrono72000
Thank you as well. I like the idea of staying along the line of best practices of "real" aircraft. They set those regulations for a reason, so why not follow them.

Once electronic logbooks became available; the commercial pilot boards would have non-stop discussions about airline interviews with 'printed' electronic logbooks. It was sickening...

Thanks IrishSights,

Does seem like keeping written records at the field, or on location and then logging them digitally would be the way to go. Handwritten in your log book, and duplicated in a digital space of some sort.

I'm curious as to if I should keep logs in separate books for separate aircraft. Any thoughts on that?

Us commercial guys have to keep a log by law as well as keep up flight hours. - else our permissions are revoked.

The editor,

Thanks for the response. Is the log required to be a handwritten log or can it be digital?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All seems overkill to me. I have always used handwritten logs and they have never crashed, got erased or corrupted!

In the 1970's during the Space Program NASA spent $2.5 million dollars researching, designing and manufacturing a pen that would work in zero gravity.
The Russians used a pencil..............:rolleyes:

I use paper check-lists and create online logs from those. I also use an old smartphone to voice record some hectic missions. I'm still looking for a solution that manages locations, permissions, battery performance and all that. Paper wins always and the digital logs can add rich detail and analysis... Paper and voice during flight. Digital in pre/post flight.

Since of 2016 I want to start logging all my flights in a handwritten book, but as I don't want to spend a lot of time writing the book, I started to design my logbook, the first 16 flights I made this year ware logged on some A4 papers, as the logbook wasn't finished :)

Here's what I cam e up so far :

1. Flight #
  2. Location
  3. Date and time
  4. Temperature / Wind (min/max) and checkboxes for the next informations: Sunny sky, Partially cloudy, Cloudy, Night, Snowing, Raining
  5. UAV information , Plane/multicopter number (as defined in the first pages of the logbook), Battery number, Camera, Lens, Tablet .. all those informations will be numbered in the first pages of the logbook where I will define my inventory if I may say :)
    1. DIY Tricopter
    2. DIY T Quad ... wooden frame
    3. DIY Hexacopter with Tigers motors
    4. DJI Inspire
    5. DIY Hexacopter with MK motors
  6. Battery information before and after
    1. volts
    2. percent
    3. mAh
    4. temperature
  7. Flight time
  8. Flight distance
What's missing in your opinion or what's not important? Next week I will print a 50 or 100 pages book and I'm not yet decided if it should be with 3 flights / page (the size of iPad mini 2 screen) or one flight / page with the size of a smartphone.
File_000 (6).jpeg
Flight logbook v2 by Ovidiu Sopa.jpg

Reactions: breathein
Since of 2016 I want to start logging all my flights in a handwritten book, but as I don't want to spend a lot of time writing the book, I started to design my logbook, the first 16 flights I made this year ware logged on some A4 papers, as the logbook wasn't finished :)

Here's what I cam e up so far :

1. Flight #
  2. Location
  3. Date and time
  4. Temperature / Wind (min/max) and checkboxes for the next informations: Sunny sky, Partially cloudy, Cloudy, Night, Snowing, Raining
  5. UAV information , Plane/multicopter number (as defined in the first pages of the logbook), Battery number, Camera, Lens, Tablet .. all those informations will be numbered in the first pages of the logbook where I will define my inventory if I may say :)
    1. DIY Tricopter
    2. DIY T Quad ... wooden frame
    3. DIY Hexacopter with Tigers motors
    4. DJI Inspire
    5. DIY Hexacopter with MK motors
  6. Battery information before and after
    1. volts
    2. percent
    3. mAh
    4. temperature
  7. Flight time
  8. Flight distance
What's missing in your opinion or what's not important? Next week I will print a 50 or 100 pages book and I'm not yet decided if it should be with 3 flights / page (the size of iPad mini 2 screen) or one flight / page with the size of a smartphone.
View attachment 5549
View attachment 5550
You could probably do with the number of the battery against each flight together with the number of charge cycles.
Also I would add the pilot name (you) together with your cumulative flight time for each month. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide