Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Will an aircraft's airflow prevent a drone from striking it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
No, I'm not endorsing this.
It will push the drone out of the way. Similar to a warp field and shields surrounding the Starship Enterprise. Or will it?

Last edited:
Birds fly into planes all the time! If you don't believe me Google "Sully Sullenberger".

I really hope this is a joke thread!

Brian

Not at all. Yes, birds can get sucked into the engines and I suppose drones can too, but birds don't try to ram the fuselage of a big jet either. If they did, the air surrounding the plane would push it away quickly, much in the same fashion a drone would.

Not at all. Yes, birds can get sucked into the engines and I suppose drones can too, but birds don't try to ram the fuselage of a big jet either. If they did, the air surrounding the plane would push it away quickly, much in the same fashion a drone would.

Once again ... NO!

One of the things all aircraft have to be certified for is bird strikes. They even have a chicken cannon they use to fire frozen chickens, simulant of things like Geese, at the windscreens of the plane.

We had an F4 come back to my base that had just struck a Seagull. How do we know it was a Seagull? Well the outline of the Seagull was evident in the radome and parts of the bird went through several bulkheads and a Seagull isn't any where near as big as birds get -- or drones!

You don't know what your'e taking about! I mean you are seriously misinformed!

Brian

A student T-38 pilot had to land from the back seat because the pilot in front was stuck through the chest by a bird. You're right that there's a buffer of airflow, but the inertia and closure rate will greatly out way the buffer and won't move out of the way in time. Troll maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: The Editor
Can you imagine a few LIPO's on an octa getting sucked into an engine? Heck, even one LIPO from an Inspire. YIKES! That would have to be 100 times worse than a few birds. No doubt a UAV can get sucked into an engine or hit the fuselage.

No, I'm not endorsing this but has anyone tried flying his UAV into a plane?

picard-facepalm_mkuu.1280.jpg

Reactions: james tulloch
Come on Guys, be fair, he's half right, it would be virtually impossible to rear-end a plane with a UAV....
Popcorn anyone..?

At least he didn't condone the efforts to prove or disprove his theory....

Yeah I've actually been hit by a bird while flying before. Its not fun at all and let me tell you, you want to get to the ground as fast as possible after that. I'm not sure where this guy is getting his information from but he's totally wrong. I fly small Cessna 172's and a bird / drone strike in the wrong pace or at the wrong time could be deadly!

No, I'm not endorsing this but has anyone tried flying his UAV into a plane?
You will find that it will be impossible because of the airflow around the plane.
It will push the drone out of the way. Similar to a warp field and shields surrounding the Starship Enterprise.
All this talk about flying into a plane is ridiculous. Just another scare tactic from anti drone people!
You're obviously not a pilot.

Whatever!
No need to be so nasty, all of you.
We are all in this together. We are all fighting drone laws to help us keep our birds in the air.
Perhaps I should have reworded it to read ," Does anyone know if an aircraft's airflow will stop a drone from striking it?".
Geez people, relax!

Reactions: Gary E
Whatever!
No need to be so nasty, all of you.
We are all in this together. We are all fighting drone laws to help us keep our birds in the air.
Perhaps I should have reworded it to read ," Does anyone know if an aircraft's airflow will stop a drone from striking it?".
Geez people, relax!

It isn't really about the issue of "can it happen," it's a touchy subject right now for those of us who are pilots and are having to watch out for people who fly UAVs and don't think it's a big deal. Just like people who don't think it's a big deal to shine a laser in pilots' eyes. Not saying you would at all but it sounds like you don't care about people flying manned aircraft basically.

It isn't really about the issue of "can it happen," it's a touchy subject right now for those of us who are pilots and are having to watch out for people who fly UAVs and don't think it's a big deal. Just like people who don't think it's a big deal to shine a laser in pilots' eyes. Not saying you would at all but it sounds like you don't care about people flying manned aircraft basically.

Still a nasty reply to a fellow poster.
Of course I care about people flying manned aircraft. What a stupid comment!
I'm hoping this thread gets shut down or removed to keep people with nasty remarks off it!
If you don't have constructive things to say then don't post!
Good day!

Reactions: Gary E
A student T-38 pilot had to land from the back seat because the pilot in front was stuck through the chest by a bird. You're right that there's a buffer of airflow, but the inertia and closure rate will greatly out way the buffer and won't move out of the way in time. Troll maybe?

A troll? Really? Next time you post a thread I will say the same about you!

And you are?

I am and if your assumption was true I would have never had to clean bugs off the leading edge of any of the aircraft I have flown or worked on :)

"No, I'm not endorsing this but has anyone tried flying his UAV into a plane?
You will find that it will be impossible because of the airflow around the plane.
It will push the drone out of the way. Similar to a warp field and shields surrounding the Starship Enterprise.
All this talk about flying into a plane is ridiculous. Just another scare tactic from anti drone people!"

Do you compare a 5g bug with an 5kg drone? Do the math and compare the impact weight of both, i bet an inspire 1 would not even drift an inch before impact.

Chris

And you are?
Yes, I also work for an aerospace research and development company. I work with STC's, perform DO160 and H.A.L.T. tests. We also use the wind tunnel at N.A.S.A.

I suppose you didn't think about drones crashing into helicopters either did you?

Attachments

• 100_2314.JPG
    100_2314.JPG
    849.9 KB · Views: 22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop