Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Will licenses for I2/ X5S work with (new) Osmo too?

Reaction score
Hi

I cant find anything about it. For me the I2 only makes sense if I can use the X5s on a future Osmo (with built in CineCore) - and NOT pay a second license. Does anyone know anything? Also when they plan the Osmo to work with X5s?

Thanks a lot!

It's a great question that we've been asked about a dozen times now and unfortunately we have not been able to receive a definite answer on this just yet. The licenses are tied to the Inspire 2 unit itself and not the camera so therefore something will be required in order to have the licenses work on an expected Osmo unit that is compatible with the X5S. As mentioned, that new Osmo is going to require the CineCore processing built into the handle as they have moved that processing from the cameras into the Inspire 2.

Unfortunately all we can do at this time is wait for an official word from DJI as they do not yet seem to have answer on this. Hopefully an Osmo compatible with the X5S (as well as the X4S) will be made available soon and by that time they'll be an answer on this.

If we hear anything in the meantime we'll try and drop a note here on the forum.

Thanks for your reply! Stupid situation although I dont think they will charge license owners twice! But who knows...

I hate to say this BUT, the licence is for the processing within the I2 is not about the camera fitted as in future new cameras will come along. Therefore if you make use of the camera on the Osmo its all new processing so you need to pay. The simple fact is i could buy an X5S and the new OSMO so i will need to buy the licence. The licence is tied to the device when you authorise so i dont see how it can be used multiple times.

Licensing should be per user,
I can just see many people getting angry if you have to buy a license per device.

If you License the camera it would be better, but what if it needs to in for repair? are you going
to have to transfer the license to a spare "rented" camera.

One might have 2 X I2 and 2 X Osmo's on set, as backups, So I will need 4 Licenses!!!
Crazy!!!

If User has license and its tied to his DJI account in the Go.app that way if something happens he
can use borrowed I2 and still get the job done.

Last edited:
When you buy a license for the I2 its locked to the "processor" which is the I2 itself there is no processing in the camera. !!!

The processing on the OSMO would be in the handset not the camera so... you need more Licences

When you buy a license for the I2 its locked to the "processor" which is the I2 itself there is no processing in the camera. !!!

The processing on the OSMO would be in the handset not the camera so... you need more Licences

Thats why I am saying it should be "held" by the user as one user may have many I2's or Osmo's
and having to purchase a license for each is crazy!!

I personally think there will be two OSMO handles; one RAW/prores and one for h.264/h.265.

There is a lot more processing and cooling needed to record RAW and Prores to SSDs, and I don't think DJI can incorporate that into a handle and sell it for $400, which is the price point people want to pay for the normal OSMO. The regular OSMO handle will look similiar to the current version. The RAW one will be beefier for the room for the processing, cooling and a SSDs slot.

They put the RAW/Prores processing capability into every Inspire 2 because the cost could be recouped by the $3000 price tag. For non-raw Inspire 2 owners, makes you think about how much less the Inspire 2 could have cost had they skipped the SSDs slot and SSD/Prores processor.

As someone who bought the license, I actually know that I paid less because some of that R&D to do RAW recording is spread out over everyone who bought Inspire 2's, rather than just those who wanted RAW. There was a reason the X5r cost so frickin much when it first came out.

I personally hope rather than an OSMO raw for the X5s, they have a little mini Ronin type thing. Two handles, a spot for your phone/monitor, but at 1/3rd the size of the Ronin-M.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattbeardsley
"I personally hope rather than an OSMO raw for the X5s, they have a little mini Ronin type thing. Two handles, a spot for your phone/monitor, but at 1/3rd the size of the Ronin-M."

I like that idea! Called a Rosmo ;)

I was doing some research on cameras with CinmaDNG and Apple ProRes. These cameras like Blackmagic, Axion, Alexa, Canon EOS 5D and Digital Bolex all include the licences and come at a very steep price of between 3,550 GBP to over 8,000 GBP for each camera, there is no sharing licence costs between devices you own (sort of the same price range as an I2.)

I did then look to see how much a Apple ProRes Licence would cost me. After lots of digging around I find a single one off licence per device is $230 (DJI is $500), I noted that apple expected the licence to be registered against the device not the user. So if you bought a camera you could then resell without a new licence. I wasn't able to find out how CineDNG handle licences as you need to join the "forum" to get any details.

It was interesting to note that applications such as Final Cut Pro and Davinci have included the licence fee within the cost of the software (decoding existing footage). So both Compressors get two hits from your very shallow pockets. One to film and one to do the after effects in the studio.

I also noticed in one thread that the CineSSD was being used in a handheld movie camera and looked very similar to the DJI SSD cards. Will follow this later when i have some idle time to kill.

Any wild guesses on when the X5s osmo handle could drop? By this Summer? I'd like to have an Osmo by then for some business projects but know if I should get the osmo pro or wait it out. Read from a poster on the DJi forum to expect an announcement soon...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44