Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Will these ND filters fit

8752E5C1-7A49-4ABA-8E84-79F596224E63.jpeg533B3CAF-D8C5-473B-8E61-D572F502A8CF.jpeg7F478CD8-B247-4198-A382-20D09562420D.jpeg
Laowa with firecrest 4 stop
Hopefully I’ll get a pretty clear day sometime before New Year to test the 10 Firecrest

Pretty sure you can order direct from formatt-hitech as the have a version of their website for USA Formatt Hitech USa

I bought my firecrest a couple of years back and they've released a newer version this year, so should be even better than mine are ;)..... and yes they fit on the Laowa without any problems (just don't bother with the petal hood!) - the screw ring edge is designed to be narrow, so it gets the filter closer to the lens and helps reduce any additional vignetting.

Well I checked their website and they are quite a bit more expensive than I expected. Are they that much better than the other companies like PolarPro or Freewell?

Reactions: slim.slamma
All I can say is (for me), they're worth it as they are quite neutral (not perfect, but near enough for me). From what I've seen of them, other brands have a tendency to warm up scenes/alter the colour balance, I'm not a fan of super saturated or super warm looks. I guess if you're willing to shoot raw, use grey cards and rework the footage with luts etc, then you'll probably not find much to warrant the additional pricing and polarpro etc will be more than good enough.

The firecrest filters are also quite slim and decently weighted too, so they do sit on the x5s' lenses without any need for balancing rings.

The newer firecrest ultra were introduced about a year ago and sadly are more expensive than their predecessors. So if you can find any suitable sizes/stops in the older firecrest range and someone with stock of them then you might manage to get them cheaper. I managed to pick mine up direct from firecrest when there was a significant discount on offer, and I'm thankful for that. I think they have a 20% offer on at present.

Thanks for answering my question about the Laowa! Always try to get some good information before I make larger purchases.
I checked their website and the 20% sale has ended unfortunately :( !! But I think they’re the way I wanna go with my next ND filter purchase.

Reactions: slim.slamma
I think the offer is still good - just got an e-mail from them this afternoon advertising their 20% winter sale, no end date specified. So you can always try the offer code at the checkout - XMAS20.

I think you'll find the Laowa has a slight different colour/contrast rendition to the Oly/DJI lenses, always seems a touch warmer and more contrasty - leastways I've always found it so. Always put it down to the slightly wider field of view gathering more light ;) - most likely different lens coatings and a different contrast.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell