Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Working with proxy files.

Reaction score
I'm wondering if someone knows of a tutorial that touches on the subject of proxy files. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around editing and color grading a Log file, when the DNGs are likely to be totally different, I don't believe the DNGs cop the profile set for the Micro SD card files, so how will the color grading performed on the proxy match that on the DNGs. Yes I am a total idiot when it comes to editing video, thank you very much :confused:

The files recorded on the MicroSD card are not proxy files, and should never be used if you also recorded CinemaDNG files on the SSD.

If you use Premiere, do a Google search for "premiere ingest proxy". You want to ingest, not import, the CinemaDNG sequence, and you want create proxy footage when you do.

You can then edit with this proxynfiitagp, which will allow for fast playback and accurate grading. Then when you export, the CinemaDNG files will be used for best finalnimage quality.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
The files recorded on the MicroSD card are not proxy files, and should never be used if you also recorded CinemaDNG files on the SSD.

If you use Premiere, do a Google search for "premiere ingest proxy". You want to ingest, not import, the CinemaDNG sequence, and you want create proxy footage when you do.

You can then edit with this proxynfiitagp, which will allow for fast playback and accurate grading. Then when you export, the CinemaDNG files will be used for best finalnimage quality.

Thank you InterMurph for your kind and prompt reply. Now it makes more sense how to use the proxies. However I do not use Premiere I use FCPX and/or DaVinci Resolve. Now considering the way the DJI Cinelight works, in order to not take a year transferring DNGs from the SSD importing them is simplest way, can the DNG then be "ingested" into the editor or must they be "ingested" directly from the SSD?

The CinemaDNG files have to be copied from the SSD to your computer. Whether you do that manually or via FCPX shouldn't matter. And since I'm not familiar with FCPX or Resolve, I can't be of any help on work flow there.

But the one thing I can tell you is that you should never use the H.264 files on the MicroSD card for anything, ever. You have a raw image sequence, and you need to figure out a work flow for those files that works for you. In Premiere, it is "ingest and create proxy files". In FCPX and Resolve, it is something else. Hopefully someone with more experience there can chime in with some help.

But please, do not use the MicroSD card files. Please!

The CinemaDNG files have to be copied from the SSD to your computer. Whether you do that manually or via FCPX shouldn't matter. And since I'm not familiar with FCPX or Resolve, I can't be of any help on work flow there.

But the one thing I can tell you is that you should never use the H.264 files on the MicroSD card for anything, ever. You have a raw image sequence, and you need to figure out a work flow for those files that works for you. In Premiere, it is "ingest and create proxy files". In FCPX and Resolve, it is something else. Hopefully someone with more experience there can chime in with some help.

But please, do not use the MicroSD card files. Please!

Thanks again for your prompt reply, no matter what editor I'm using your advise is invaluable to me as you are shedding light on my limited knowledge and showing me a path to better video. I have been using the MSD card files just for the sake of expediency, but keep in mind I am not a working pro at this by any means yet, I am just learning. I have posted on youtube a couple of videos from the SDs, nothing serious or important by any means.

In Resolve go to your medea pool, right klick the files your are working with and choose in the drop down menu " generate optimised media". In settings you`ll find "optimized media and render chash". There you`ll choose half or a quater resolution. Generating optimised media may take long time depending on the specs of your pc.

In Resolve go to your medea pool, right klick the files your are working with and choose in the drop down menu " generate optimised media". In settings you`ll find "optimized media and render chash". There you`ll choose half or a quater resolution. Generating optimised media may take long time depending on the specs of your pc.
Thank you for the advise Kornbert, I will try real soon.

ohh I forgot to explain another important thing. In order to work fluently with your files when editting you need to go to " playback" in the drop down menu "render cash" klick on " user".Then right klick clips " render cach fusion output" on. You`ll see then first a red line above the clips which becomes blue. This is a kind of pre render function, but sometimes makes problems in the beta version of resolve.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry