Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Worm screw and motor not engaging

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got a problem with the worm screw not engaging with the motor. If I manually push the screw toward the motor housing whilst turning the screw (relative to lowering or raising) it will engage, however in normal operation it skips out of gearing and the motor runs on, also leaving the worm screw to move laterally.

Any ideas why this would be occurring?

Hi all,

Got a problem with the worm screw not engaging with the motor. If I manually push the screw toward the motor housing whilst turning the screw (relative to lowering or raising) it will engage, however in normal operation it skips out of gearing and the motor runs on, also leaving the worm screw to move laterally.

Any ideas why this would be occurring?
The worm screw is secured by a bearing and a plate which holds the bearing in place at the bottom of the worm screw.you need to remove the botom of the airframe to gain access.if these are secure i can only think that the servo motor has come loose because when both the servo and bearing are in place the worm screw cant move up and down.

If both are secure you may have a worn servo motor?

Its probably best starting at the servo on top as its easier to remove the top of the airframe than the bottom.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply.

I've noticed the the worm screw is moving freely at the bottom of the airframe. The nut at the lower end if the screw doesn't seem to stay in place like I suspect it should.

Here's a pic once the screw has become disengaged showing the nut at the end of the screw moved when gear is moved manually.

Studio_20160502_213240.jpg

The inspire just came back about a month ago from repairers and is a hybrid of parts from a waterlogged v2 and crashed v1. The central frame unit is from the v2.

The repairer is taking no reponsibility saying "that's the risk with 2nd hand parts".

Hello

It looks like your bearing retainer has come loose , have a look at the photos below

Pic 1 bearing and retainer plate as they should be installed

Pic 2 Bearing and retainer plate

Pic 3 Bottom of the airframe removed , bearing installed , this should keep the wormdrive shaft in place

Pic 4 bearing retainer installed , once this is installed the bearing and gear raise assembly should be solid , no up and down play in worm drive shaft.
20160503_161030.jpg 20160503_161040.jpg 20160503_161050.jpg 20160503_161101.jpg
Hope this helps

PwackInspire

Hello

It looks like your bearing retainer has come loose , have a look at the photos below

Pic 1 bearing and retainer plate as they should be installed

Pic 2 Bearing and retainer plate

Pic 3 Bottom of the airframe removed , bearing installed , this should keep the wormdrive shaft in place

Pic 4 bearing retainer installed , once this is installed the bearing and gear raise assembly should be solid , no up and down play in worm drive shaft.
View attachment 8254 View attachment 8255 View attachment 8256 View attachment 8257
Hope this helps

PwackInspire

My Inspire (as of yesterday), will not retract landing gear. I noticed mid flight that the black housing around the worm screw had torn itself completely off exposing on the worm screw spinning freely. I had to catch land my bird bc the landing gear wouldnt retract. Do you suspect that the whole Center Frame Assembly be replaced or just the black tubing and motor be replaced?

I apologize for my ignorance, Ive only had my Inspire 1 since late March.

My Inspire (as of yesterday), will not retract landing gear. I noticed mid flight that the black housing around the worm screw had torn itself completely off exposing on the worm screw spinning freely. I had to catch land my bird bc the landing gear wouldnt retract. Do you suspect that the whole Center Frame Assembly be replaced or just the black tubing and motor be replaced?

I apologize for my ignorance, Ive only had my Inspire 1 since late March.
Has it suffered any kind of crash or hard landing?
If not, since it is less than three months old I would send it straight back to the dealer.

If not, since it is less than three months old I would send it straight back to the dealer.

Yes. I had one crash from about 15ft. The bird hit every branch on the way down and landed in a bush of leaves. Nothing looked aesthetically damaged from my eyes. This could have certainly been harboring something on the inside. This crash was about 4 weeks ago and I have not had any calibration errors. I have never had an issue during flight either.

I should also note that when powered off, even when I manually retract the landing gear, the weight of the quad can't be supported by the Center Assembly. It slowly descends down until it crutches on the camera or I just put something under the battery for support.

Any guidance is appreciated.
Thanks.

Anyone know what we should use to grease the bearing? From what it looks like... it's not a sealed bearing. What I've been doing since last year is applying Tri Flow Synthetic grease on the worm screw and transforming the arms up and down. The grease finds it's way down the worm screw and pretty much sits on top of the bearing. Is that good enough? Or should we be dropping a oil into the bearing? Reason why I ask is because I had to use WD 40 to clean the top of the bearing and worm screw from bug guts. Then I just applied the grease on the worm screw and allowed it to sit on top of the bearing after transforming the arms up and down a few times.

Last edited:
Anyone know what we should use to grease the bearing? From what it looks like... it's not a sealed bearing. What I've been doing since last year is applying Tri Flow Synthetic grease on the worm screw and transforming the arms up and down. The grease finds it's way down the worm screw and pretty much sits on top of the bearing. Is that good enough? Or should we be dropping a oil into the grease? Reason why I ask is because I had to use WD 40 to clean the top of the bearing and worm screw from bug guts. Then I just applied the grease on the worm screw and allowed it to sit on top of the bearing after transforming the arms up and down a few times.
I just use a general purpose grease, clean it regularly depending on takeoff and landing environments and reapply. The action of the gear seems to be enough to keep it well lubricated.

Reactions: Kevin Cabral
I just use a general purpose grease, clean it regularly depending on takeoff and landing environments and reapply. The action of the gear seems to be enough to keep it well lubricated.
Ah I see. I figured it would be enough. I also smeared the blob it leaves on the bottom of the screw from transforming up and down across the bearing with my finger. In hopes for the grease to find it's way further into the bearing while I transform it up and down a few times again. Maybe what I did wasn't necessary... but ah well :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry