Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

worried about r/c aircraft regulations? read this then get off your ***.

Reaction score
lot of defeatist attitudes on here. you may feel like there is nothing you can do to stop the us government from imposing any laws they want against freely flying a r/c aircraft like we can now. your wrong, there is something you can do to help our hobby.

there is really only 1 organization. the AMA, American Model Academy. they are the only organization the FAA listens to when trying to pass new laws. You can thank the AMA for the 3000+ signatures they gathered that defeated the bill jerry brown tried to pass in California that said no drones under 300 feet over private property, yeah, the AMA stopped one, and one 3000+ of those signatures and letters was mine.

the ama is already involved in this new b.s. move the government is trying to put together requiring people to register r/c aircraft, they have already issued a statement they want a clear distinction between "toy" "commercial" "recreational" and "educational" aircraft and what categorizes their uses. obviously the size of the aircraft is their big arguing point but they are against pretty much every aspect of it.

They are the ONLY organization that is a part of the discussion with the government with a voice. Join their club. its around 70 bucks a year, you get insurance coverage of about a million bucks for property damage and fire, monthly magazine and you can fly at any ama sanctioned air field for free. Im personally a member just because they are fighting for our freedom to fly and doing a good job of it.

if your flying a DJI anything, you really don't have any excuses for not being a member of this club. your at the heart of this battle. it's a small donation considering the cost of the equipment your flying and i would think you want to keep flying it any where you want.

Join AMA Today

Reactions: Machoman
I've been a AMA member for 25 years. Fly everything up to and including turbine Jets. AMA needs to understand there is NO compromise with the Libtard bureocrats. They won't listen unless their petty jobs are on the line. AMA cannot compromise! The answer is NO registration period! We need to make it clear we will not support this mindless crap! Each of us needs to drive this home with our senators and representatives! We vote and if they don't listen, well we kicked out the dem from both houses didn't we? Too bad the republicans we elected are morons but the message was sent!
The answer is Geo-fencing around airports and other sensitive areas which DJI already employs. This needs to be added to all Drones sold to the general public which require almost zero skills to operate. Model aircraft should not even enter the discussion because they require a level of real skill to operate and after what 7 -8 decades of modeling have yet to cause any problems.
The problem is idiots with no brains being able to easily fly drones into restricted airspace ( assuming they actually can understand that there is such a thing) with no regard to the consequences. You can't fix stupid but in this case technology can limit the damage they can do. We and AMA need to push this rather than argue about stupid size and weight allowances which will fail! You don't ever compromise with politicians that's a recipe for disaster.

I went to the AMA website and read Dave Mathewson's Media Release. His statement, to me, sounded somewhat vague. o_O Then again, being a type of politician, I guess Mr. Mathewson had to use a modicum of talknophical assumnacy.

Will be watching to see how this all turns out.

My comment on the registration requirement is positive. I think its about time! The reason I have is I think the AMA stands for hobbyist type craft that fly mostly in regulated flight fields set aside by towns, counties, private people or possibly states. What some want to do is fly aerial photo rigs that can cause problems for people and aircraft. So why not require a registration or a 333 for commercial operation of an aircraft off of a designated field at elevations that most hobbyist fly? For some of us applying for and already involved in aerial imaging it protects our rights to continue to do this type of work without the idiot trying to ruin it for everyone! :) It will also weed out the problems that we are already having in this industry or it will try to make it better. All for it and kudos to DJI for working with the FAA and agencies to continue a positive route for us who wish to continue legally, respectfully, and safely work in this great arena of aerial imaging....Kevin and Dawn Cobello K & D Action Photo and Aerial Imaging.

I'm working on my private pilot certificate right now in part to be able to get a 333 exemption. I hope something like this proposed program gets adopted. The use of drones commercially is slowly becoming a legitimate industry and this will protect and enforce that legitimacy for people willing to invest the time and effort.

here is another one:

Los Angeles has a ordinance waiting to be signed that says no uav's within 5 miles of any airport and a hard limit of 400 feet max within the city limits and no flying at night with criminal charges for violating these rules. i dont even live in los angeles (san diego) and im sending an email, this is a horrible rule.

you dont even need to be a member of the ama to help out, here is the info to help.
send to:

[email protected]

copy and paste this letter.

Dear Mayor Garcetti,

As a member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) I ask that you not sign the ordinance adding section 56.31 to article 6 of Chapter V of the Los Angeles Municipal code. Members of the AMA are responsible modelers. We fly our model aircraft for recreation and educational purposes. We adhere to a national safety code that prohibits all of the problems that "drone" pilots are causing. This ordinance will affect the men, women and child modelers who enjoy our hobby in Los Angeles. It even, possibly unintentionally, criminalizes flying a model aircraft, at night indoors.

Instead I ask that the City Council work with the AMA to develop appropriate rules that will protect the public without destroying a hobby that has been enjoyed by modelers in Los Angeles and around the country for over 100 years.

Sincerely,
Your Name

Eric Garcetti and the LA city council are absolutely worthless. The progressive policies climate is so bad in LA we moved 40 miles east 5 years ago. I would not hold out any hope for concessionary measures with them considereding jokers are flying UAVs near LAPD helicopters.

here is another one:

Los Angeles has a ordinance waiting to be signed that says no uav's within 5 miles of any airport and a hard limit of 400 feet max within the city limits and no flying at night with criminal charges for violating these rules. i dont even live in los angeles (san diego) and im sending an email, this is a horrible rule.

you dont even need to be a member of the ama to help out, here is the info to help.
send to:

[email protected]

copy and paste this letter.

Dear Mayor Garcetti,

As a member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) I ask that you not sign the ordinance adding section 56.31 to article 6 of Chapter V of the Los Angeles Municipal code. Members of the AMA are responsible modelers. We fly our model aircraft for recreation and educational purposes. We adhere to a national safety code that prohibits all of the problems that "drone" pilots are causing. This ordinance will affect the men, women and child modelers who enjoy our hobby in Los Angeles. It even, possibly unintentionally, criminalizes flying a model aircraft, at night indoors.

Instead I ask that the City Council work with the AMA to develop appropriate rules that will protect the public without destroying a hobby that has been enjoyed by modelers in Los Angeles and around the country for over 100 years.

Sincerely,
Your Name

First you say you don't have to be a member...Then your version of the letter starts " As a member ".
The context of the letter is correct and we should all support it but why lie about membership?

First you say you don't have to be a member...Then your version of the letter starts " As a member ".
The context of the letter is correct and we should all support it but why lie about membership?

You can send that email without being a member, so what if you're lying, not like they are gonna do a background check on ya, probably won't even read it anyway, haha

You can send that email without being a member, so what if you're lying, not like they are gonna do a background check on ya, probably won't even read it anyway, haha
I'm not a part of AMA and the City of Los Angeles could care less the organization exist. Their view is the needs of the few do not outweigh the needs of the many when it comes to unsafe UAV operator's.

I'm working on my private pilot certificate right now in part to be able to get a 333 exemption. I hope something like this proposed program gets adopted. The use of drones commercially is slowly becoming a legitimate industry and this will protect and enforce that legitimacy for people willing to invest the time and effort.
Unless you really want a pilots license...I would wait.

I'm not a part of AMA and the City of Los Angeles could care less the organization exist. Their view is the needs of the few do not outweigh the needs of the many when it comes to unsafe UAV operator's.
They are clearly clueless as to what's safe and what's not, those proposed rules are ridiculous and should not be passed, lol

Reactions: turbodronepilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anastasiyakavitko6