Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5R Price...

$5,900 in the air on something that has no redundancy?
I don't think so!
This is redundant once you have brought it surely it's TECH!!? Just as the laptop or TV or phone, those share holders want the next profit product.

6k without a Platform is steep for a single use product though, at least with a 'mountable' camera you can use it for standard applications ie. photo work....

Please done mention the STICK!!.. :p

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
This is redundant once you have brought it surely it's TECH!!? Just as the laptop or TV or phone, those share holders want the next profit product.

6k without a Platform is steep for a single use product though, at least with a 'mountable' camera you can use it for standard applications ie. photo work....

Please done mention the STICK!!.. :p
I meant no redundancy in props/motors.
On a hex or octo if one fails it still still flies. On a quad it does a very good impression of a brick!

Psssst.....don't mention the stick.

I meant no redundancy in props/motors.
On a hex or octo if one fails it still still flies. On a quad it does a very good impression of a brick!

Psssst.....don't mention the stick.
I thought that after the reply sorry Salty.... ;)

I need to get me a HEX or OCTA.... Pissed with these expensive toys.... Time to get SERIOUS...o_O

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
$5,900 in the air on something that has no redundancy?
I don't think so!
Your redundancy is your faith in DJI equipement.
Otherwise you wouldn't by flying
You've never had a fly away! That you couldn't handle... Atti.
For 10 months your Ac. has performed flawlessly!
All the firmware issues have been addressed.
The i1 is rock solid!
Things I keep telling myself.
You balling or crawling?

Reactions: 8nSand
The i1 is rock solid!
You balling or crawling?
What I am saying is - I am not prepared to put nearly $6k payload in the air on a quad (even though I love the Inspire).
A hex will keep flying if it loses a prop, motor or esc - at least you will get your equipment back home.
Also, because I fly commercially, the premium for putting that much hardware in the air on a four rotor system will be cost prohibitive.
Hex (or more) for decent imaging equipment. Inspire for the golf ball X3.
I have four machines sitting here which I can fly so I do have a choice but I love flying the Inspire so I stick with it.

Reactions: slim.slamma
The i1 is rock solid!
You balling or crawling?

I was hovering at about 25 feet up at an event and some bored kid shot a rubber band at my Inspire and a motor stopped and it crashed immediately. Rubber band wasn't even tangled in the prop on the ground. X3 a complete loss and $900 total damage. A hex or octo would have probably survived the incident just fine.

Reactions: dopeytree
I was hovering at about 25 feet up at an event and some bored kid shot a rubber band at my Inspire and a motor stopped and it crashed immediately. Rubber band wasn't even tangled in the prop on the ground. X3 a complete loss and $900 total damage. A hex or octo would have probably survived the incident just fine.
I hope that child now has had his fingers removed forcibly by the remaining Inspire props and you have sent the ferile child's parents an Invoice.

Just (after 6 weeks) got my Inspire 1 back from the EU repair 'shed', the fact it took 6 weeks!!! to a business makes it obsolete X5R or NOT as far as a business option. You'd potentially loose thousands of business waiting this shambles support and repair service.

Fact they won't offer spares is a JOKE, you must have these for travelling to remote locations! I actually demanded they returned ALL the parts they swapped on my Inspire so I have all the wiring looms and spare motor controller boards.

Now add the small Car price of a X5R that is hanging out like a pair of bollox in an *** kicking contest should you crash... Man get a DIY kit from Hobby King seriously, bang on a good camera and you'll thank me.

What I am saying is - I am not prepared to put nearly $6k payload in the air on a quad (even though I love the Inspire).
A hex will keep flying if it loses a prop, motor or esc - at least you will get your equipment back home.
Also, because I fly commercially, the premium for putting that much hardware in the air on a four rotor system will be cost prohibitive.
Hex (or more) for decent imaging equipment. Inspire for the golf ball X3.
I have four machines sitting here which I can fly so I do have a choice but I love flying the Inspire so I stick with it.

What HEX do you recommend? I feel the same way. Too much $$ to have no redundancy.

Wow! That sux. I took an acorn the other day, it fell from the oak tree I was flying under. It hit the top of my i1 before the prop. Loud pop and the acorn flew out of there like a speeding bullet. Thankfully all motors kept running.

Anybody know if it will be possible to add the "R" to a previously owned X5?

Expensive yes, but going from 8-bit compressed video to 12-bit RAW is like night and day.

DJI knows they have the only market on small RAW aerial cameras until the Blackmagic Micro Camera comes out.

Reactions: Outta Control
Expensive yes, but going from 8-bit compressed video to 12-bit RAW is like night and day.

DJI knows they have the only market on small RAW aerial cameras until the Blackmagic Micro Camera comes out.

The 12 bit raw files will still be compressed the camera will not be recording uncompressed data. (RAW does NOT mean uncompressed as many think it does)
JPEG lossless uses Huffman encoding and prop!e are bellyaching now about trying to edit 4k footage.
Jpeg lossless can be a REAL pita to manipulate and users are going to really struggle unless they are set up properly for proxy post workflow.
The problem is, many will buy this camera but not really need it or be able to use it effectively or edit the results.
Indeed, many now are shooting 4k but don't really know why other than "oh its 4k, it has got more pixels so it MUST be better right?"

The 12 bit raw files will still be compressed the camera will not be recording uncompressed data. (RAW does NOT mean uncompressed as many think it does)
JPEG lossless uses Huffman encoding and prop!e are bellyaching now about trying to edit 4k footage.
Jpeg lossless can be a REAL pita to manipulate and users are going to really struggle unless they are set up properly for proxy post workflow.
The problem is, many will buy this camera but not really need it or be able to use it effectively or edit the results.
Indeed, many now are shooting 4k but don't really know why other than "oh its 4k, it has got more pixels so it MUST be better right?"

Oh yeah, no doubt RAW has some compression but no one near the amount of compression used in the current X5 video files.

X5 (8-bit 60mbs) vs X5R (12-bit 1700mbs) is a huge step up in video quality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool