Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5R short film "Ethereal City"

Reaction score
There's numerous examples of how the X5R shows scenes in nature, I wanted to see how it holds up showcasing city scenes. What started out as a series of test clips turned into a nostalgic short film showing city life in my town. Description of my workflow/process can be found in my youtube description. Be sure to watch in 4k on HQ speakers. Enjoy!

Very impressive...

How long did it take to film?

And, how long did it take to edit/produce the final product?

Thanks...

Thank you! I filmed for about 3-4 weeks and the editing took about 2 months just because I was experimenting with different ways of implementing an effective workflow, especially with the heavy grading and effects. I switched to proxies about half way through because the size of these clips made any compositing or non-GPU accelerated effects move at a snails pace when editing.

Just skimmed through it and looked for non aerial clips but didn't see any. I'm a part of a local film makers group and the one thing that continues to come up at almost every meeting is, drone footage actually get boring when it's not broken up or used in conjunction with non aerial footage. From the clips I did see it looks good but on your next production, maybe add some other elements besides just aerial footage, you might be even more amazed at your final product.

This is awesome! I really appreciate how well put together it is! Did you film this dual or single remote? If single remote do you fly and do the gimbal movement or do you use a software to assist? I loved the movement!

There's numerous examples of how the X5R shows scenes in nature, I wanted to see how it holds up showcasing city scenes. What started out as a series of test clips turned into a nostalgic short film showing city life in my town. Description of my workflow/process can be found in my youtube description. Be sure to watch in 4k on HQ speakers. Enjoy!

Awesome edit buddy!! That's unreal!

Reactions: xzoticskillz
Great work sir, Did you add the seagull when flying over the stadium? Really beautiful thank you for sharing.

J

Reactions: Ingus
This is awesome! I really appreciate how well put together it is! Did you film this dual or single remote? If single remote do you fly and do the gimbal movement or do you use a software to assist? I loved the movement!

Thank you! I was a single operator, I used AutoFlight Logic to help me get those shots and track certain focus targets.

Amazing!
Did you stabilize all of the shots?

I believe I probably only stabilized 1 or 2 shots actually. The X5R actually does better during post stabilization since there's no compression in the scene that could potentially interfere with tracking data

Reactions: Ingus
Excellent job. Nice transitions, especially the two kids running to the top of the hill. My only complaint is I couldn't make out the Voice Over near the end of the film with the music over so loudly. Who did the VO? He sounds familiar but I'm having trouble placing him?

Reactions: xzoticskillz
Thats Alan Watts, a world philosopher. I wrote and performed half the soundtrack (middle to end) and I purposely wanted to overshadow his voice during the ending parts for effect, it was intentional and placed there to add to the composition.

Great film!
You are showing great creativity and some of the shots are really, really good.
A couple of observations, which are rather subjective. Please do not take it as negative criticisms.
I could not follow a story through the edit. There may be one but I could not see it. It seemed to jump from different subjects (locations) and back to the same ones.
There is in the middle a really good cascade of transitions with the dam. This one is a very strong edit. I love it but I am having a hard time understanding what it means in the context of the film. Some of the other transitions are overkill (I love the situated tilt-shitf effect of the people on the bridge though.)
Again don't see it as a negative criticism. Your film is very good. As a poster on this thread said, it is very difficult to make a pure drone film and keep it interesting.
I hope you'll critic my film when posted later this year (summer is not a good time to run around in Phoenix AZ)

Thank you! I filmed for about 3-4 weeks and the editing took about 2 months just because I was experimenting with different ways of implementing an effective workflow, especially with the heavy grading and effects. I switched to proxies about half way through because the size of these clips made any compositing or non-GPU accelerated effects move at a snails pace when editing.
NICE one!!

What do you use for grading? I use Adobe RAW in After effects usually and I use Colorista III and many of the tools in MAGIC BULLET SUITE 12.1. Im going to to share some of my settings on Skypixel soon for usage with Adobe RAW. Be awesome if you would share yours to as I think many is suffering from getting good starting points when using the X5R. Some might say you should not get the R if you cant do grading but in my mind the more the use it and we keep pushing the boundaries technology will grow, community will grow and price will also go down. On the other side I have no problem with those who feel its something that they spent so much time on learning they see it as their work advantage.

How long have you had the X5R and how much space have you with RAW files by now? :) I have just less then 30TB so far and I use Lightbridge where I take out frames depending on how long the sequence is so I can look and remember the takes as time goes.

Again NICE work!!

Rune

What did you find as the optimal settings on the x5r for night filming?

Reactions: DrMrdalj

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin