Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5s and Inspire 1 Compatibility?

Reaction score
Has anyone seen if the X5s will be backward compatible with the Inspire 1 V2? I haven't found any info on this yet.

X4S and X5S will not work on Inspire 1, because the port of its gimbal is not the same as that of Inspire 1

Nope a large part of the processing is done in drone, so you need an inspire 2.

If they can stick 100MBPS on a phantom 4 pro they should deliver something for the inspire 1 though, it makes the x5 look second rate.

Reactions: Scoobywrx05
Well crap, I was thinking there was more to it than just the camera, thanks for your input guys.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Nope a large part of the processing is done in drone, so you need an inspire 2.

If they can stick 100MBPS on a phantom 4 pro they should deliver something for the inspire 1 though, it makes the x5 look second rate.

Why? the Inspire 1 is a platform that was just surpassed in a big way today

Why? the Inspire 1 is a platform that was just surpassed in a big way today
Yeah but you need to spend at least 5k to get there.

They should have released a new budget camera for the inspire 1 with the power of the new phantom 4 pro camera. Just listen to how that sounds. The phantom is the bottom of the DJI range, and its now more powerful than an inspire 1 X5 pro which I paid £3700 for last year.

Phantom should NEVER be able to produce better video than the inspire, but unless you get he X5R, it wipes the floor with it now for £1500 maybe less in other countries.

I'm seriously thinking of scrapping the inspire and getting a phantom 4 pro now.
With the app, its now possible to get the majority of shots you can get on the inspire, most videos shots you get are fairly simply and do not need to be overly complex.

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelS
THe x5 and x5r are still great cameras. Youll never get interchangable DOF from a phantom which you can get for from the inspire 1 x5 / x5r

What would be interesting to see is if DJI does:

1) Release an inspire 2 body with mounts for x5 / x5r
2) Release an update (physical) to the x3 / x5 / x5r to make them equally as good x4s / x5s
3) Discontinues the whole inspire 1 line

you honestly didnt think they would make it work with something else..
dam they wont even let the m100 battery work with the m600, its a very bad move to make it non compatible with the m600 though as they have that pumped as there new flagship multi purpose drone, and sell it in a cinema compacity as well.
it does really p you off though...

THe x5 and x5r are still great cameras. Youll never get interchangable DOF from a phantom which you can get for from the inspire 1 x5 / x5r

What would be interesting to see is if DJI does:

1) Release an inspire 2 body with mounts for x5 / x5r
2) Release an update (physical) to the x3 / x5 / x5r to make them equally as good x4s / x5s
3) Discontinues the whole inspire 1 line

1) No
2) No
3) No. it's still a good product for smaller shoots that don't need a ProRes/CinemaDNG camera

1) No
2) No
3) No. it's still a good product for smaller shoots that don't need a ProRes/CinemaDNG camera

There is nothing wrong with using the X3. A friend of mine was using his original X3 for aerial shots on a popular US TV show where aerials are required for a set up shot. Every week has his shot featured. Why waste money on the other cameras uniess you need low light capabilities.

I just placed and pixel peeps images from an x5 15mm, phantom 4 and phantom 4 pro all side by side in Photoshop. They are available for download on the dji site. What I can say is the gap has closed considerably. The p4pro is noticeably cleaner and crisper with better image quality. The lens appears to be the same, and it even says so in the exif as a 3.xxmm lens but the file has more latitude with less noise and the sample shot is f8 which obviously helps the quality rise on a landscape photo. The X5 has much cleaner noise, and is a few notches better in overall quality, however it is not so drastic anymore compared to the original phantom 4, which is clearly the worst of all by a strong noticable margin.

So are you saying the X5 photo image looks better than P4P?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes,

The images that are available for download on dji site under the phantom 4 pro section downloads.

The images are labeled however I am unsure if the phantom 4 image is a phantom 4 or a phantom 3 as it does not say, it is clear that the X5 is a 15mm 1.7 lens and he phantom 4 pro is such because the exif said it was shot at f8.

The quality is such to my eyes;

1- x5, best, cleanest noise control, best overall rendition and image quality, superior color fidelity.

2- phantom 4 pro, pretty good, plenty sharp, nice and decent dynamic range, pretty good overall image quality.

3- phantom 4- noticabley the worst, noise, soft, image quality is muddy.

My vote would be to unleash the bit-rate of the x5 to make it competitive. maybe 200mbps+ all Intra would make it competitive to the x4s. hopefully the hardware is up to it because I agree the inspire 1, at this point, shouldn't be out done by the phantom line. Or they could open it up and let the panasonic GH2/ magic lantern guys at it (never going to happen).

Either way I'm still planing to upgrade to x5 over p4p as the way I see it the ability to alter focal length affects the footage far more drastically and climatically then pixel peeping comparing 60mbs to 150 h.265. either way its all 8bit.

My vote would be to unleash the bit-rate of the x5 to make it competitive. maybe 200mbps+ all Intra would make it competitive to the x4s. hopefully the hardware is up to it because I agree the inspire 1, at this point, shouldn't be out done by the phantom line. Or they could open it up and let the panasonic GH2/ magic lantern guys at it (never going to happen).

Either way I'm still planing to upgrade to x5 over p4p as the way I see it the ability to alter focal length affects the footage far more drastically and climatically then pixel peeping comparing 60mbs to 150 h.265. either way its all 8bit.
The X5 is incapable of being upgraded to 200mbps or even 100mbps due to its SOC architecture and dual stream video being utilised.
It will never happen because it can't happen.

@The Editor, are you talking about the steam to the card and the live feed? I don't how much different the hardware of the X5r is but that seems capable of a 3rd signal: Raw, SDcard, and live feed. Just trying to better understand your knowledge.

The limit with the Panasonic GH cams in the past has been the card write speed as a larger bitrate stressed that pipeline. The processor on the GH2 that came stock with 28mbps had the overhead to push 170mbps+ I-frame. I hoped that there might be a similar overhead in the x5

Reactions: ChrisG333
@The Editor, are you talking about the steam to the card and the live feed? I don't how much different the hardware of the X5r is but that seems capable of a 3rd signal: Raw, SDcard, and live feed. Just trying to better understand your knowledge.

The limit with the Panasonic GH cams in the past has been the card write speed as a larger bitrate stressed that pipeline. The processor on the GH2 that came stock with 28mbps had the overhead to push 170mbps+ I-frame. I hoped that there might be a similar overhead in the x5
Not a chance - The X5 is already maxed out. Push it any harder and it will glow!

The other thing to consider is why would DJI do it? They would then be potentially loosing sales on the I2 platform and associated cameras.

DJI will not be enhancing the X5 Series any further. Additionally, as we have all seen, their knowledge of codecs is not that great and believe that horsepower alone makes a good camera - we all know it doesn't.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan