Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Yuneec Tornado H290 + CGO4 Review

Direct competitor to the Inspire Pro + X5 + OSMO. Similar pricing.

In the interest of knowing what's out there (or coming in Jan anyway), here's a lengthy review of the Yuneec Tornado H290, CGO4 camera gimbal and handheld.

Thx for sharing, saw one at drone show UK and have got to say, I was impressed, really impressed. A hex, can take 3 batteries, GH4 and a hand held. Want to see some tests first though. But unless the Inspire 2 is a hex, this could be where my money goes or a S900, bye bye I1.
Also yuneec may be launching a phantom sized quad as well in the first part of 2016.

Cheers Mark

Yuneec also do very good customer service.......
Phoned Uk number and it was picked up within 5 rings. I actually had a conversation with a knowledgeable human being!!
DJI take note.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
I must admit the platform do see appealing out, compared to aging S800/900 platform. I do like the light weight and that it has a "clean look" with no visible wires.

But analog low res video stream is a no go for me. 5.8 GHz analog video streams are so last year ore for FPV racers and not for serious videoographer.

I am completely happy with the Inspire 1, and its performance and if I need better video I can upgrade to the pro platform.

Good flight time and nice camera but the slow speed (11 m/s) and wifi control range of 500m are impediments to serious use.

Reactions: Kilrah
Good flight time and nice camera but the slow speed (11 m/s) and wifi control range of 500m are impediments to serious use.

Says 2km. Where did you see 500m?

Also, the I1 only does about 35mph in GPS mode. This does 25mph. For videography it's probably not a showstopper.

Reactions: Rainbowers
I think it's great that DJI is finally getting some serious competition. This will be good for all of us.

I agree that competition is good for the consumer. But I don't think a product like Yuneec Tornado H290 will be able to take market share from DJI - not in away they care about.

Before I got my Inspire 1 nearly a year ago I flew Phantom 2 with 5.8 GHz video feed. Even with best antenna and 600 mw transmitter the picture often was unstable. The range was shorter, and the feed was not HD quality as we get on a Inspire 1 with lightbridge system.

Video transmission range (optimum conditions) FCC up to 700m CE up to 300m - that is not a lot under optimum conditions.

Also, the I1 only does about 35mph in GPS mode. This does 25mph.
It is about 50% faster - the Inspire 1 does about 40 mph in GPS mode and 49 Mph in ATTI mode.

For videography it's probably not a showstopper.
If you only shoot video in calm wether then your right. But if you fly ind lets say 10-15 mph headwind it gets pretty slow.

From the manufacturers website: Product Specifications | Yuneec - Electric Aviation
But it says 700 metres there - I can't remember if 500 was a typo or I was adjusting from optimum to realistic?
Searching, I see some sites say 2km. Which is correct?
After being spoiled with Lightbridge, it would be tough to go back to flaky wifi control.

Ah, I see the discrepancy now. Radio control range is 2km. Video transmission range is 700m.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451527406.960518.jpg

Agree, love the I1 and the light bridge system, just getting tired of the I1 getting dumbed down. And I'm sure you could boost the video transmission range just like on the P2's etc.

Agree, love the I1 and the light bridge system, just getting tired of the I1 getting dumbed down. And I'm sure you could boost the video transmission range just like on the P2's etc.

I EU were the Video transmission range under optimum conditions is up to 300m, there is not much you can do, if you want to comply to local law. You kan change the antenna to a directional antenna but then you pretty much has to point the controller in the way of the craft all the time. A thing you can´t optimize is the video quality.

A couple of other things that is negativ in my opinion is:

- The way you have to mount props on the motor - 12 screws every time, you take it out of the box.

- The sunshade system is a joke.

- The tablet is not very big, and i doubt the it is a premium tablet they have placed in the controller. With the lightbridge system it is your choice what tablet you use, and you can use it for other purpose.

- The camera, is with out a doubt one of the best you can get, for now. But I am not supporter of a purpose built system that is difficult to use in other ways. You kan use the CGO4 camera in the gimbal on the Tornado H290 ore the handheld system, and it looks at it works fine, but if you buy a Panasonic GH4 you will have so much more possibility.

But for sure there is also many good things about this system. I think it is not a "fair" comparison with a Inspire pro and a Osmo.

Last edited:
I EU were the Video transmission range under optimum conditions is up to 300m, there is not much you can do, if you want to comply to local law. You kan change the antenna directional antenna but then you pretty much has to point the controller in the way of the craft all the time. A thing you can´t optimize is the video quality.

A couple of other things that is negativ in my opinion is:

- The way you have to mount props on the motor - 12 screws every time, you take it out of the box.

- The sunshade system is a joke.

- The tablet is not very big, and i doubt the it is a premium tablet they have placed in the controller. With the lightbridge system it is your choice what tablet you use, and you can use it for other purpose.

- The camera, is with out a doubt one of the best you can get, for now. But I am not supporter of a purpose built system that is difficult to use in other ways. You kan use the CGO4 camera in the gimbal on the Tornado H290 ore the handheld system, and it looks at it works fine, but if you buy a Panasonic GH4 you will have so much more possibility.

But for sure there is also many good things about this system. I think it is not a "fair" comparison with a Inspire pro and a Osmo.

You can also use a plain GH4

The way you have to mount props on the motor - 12 screws every time, you take it out of the box.
FYI; there's a quick release set soon and agree the screen compared to my ipad air2 isn't good.
Agree about being a fair comparision, also if EASA get their way, UK will have the same 5.5kg limit, and not 7kg as it is at present, another reason I'll be looking at this over a S900.

Reactions: Rainbowers
You can also use a plain GH4

But are you then abel to control all camera function as with the CGO4 camera ?

Agree about being a fair comparison, also if EASA get their way, UK will have the same 5.5kg limit, and not 7kg as it is at present, another reason I'll be looking at this over a S900.

We ind Denmark have the same problems. But for all I have read and hear abut EASA and they UAS proposals it is at least 2-3 maybe 4 years out in the future.

I'm excited to see footage from the camera and flight times.

Though when the X5R comes out its going to be a show stopper.

In all situation: X5R has too short flight times and too big Raw-files for video. X5r is a very good solution for photographers, but the Tornado with the GH4 has RAW photo too and you have no stress to get your picture with right focus (seems to be a serious problem with the X5), exposure, etc. Even it will be possible to mount a A7r2 on the gimbal with the highest resolution possible at the moment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pavitrakher1