Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Zeiss VR one + Cloudlight FPV?

Reaction score
Hey

Just wondering if anyone was rocking one of these with the inspire? I can see loads of advantaged and loads of disadvantages. Obviously you would need a team of two to operate like this, but being able to move the camera with you head could give you more freedom.

I find it hard operating looking into a super reflective iPad, even with the sunshield up. But with this thing on your head you won't be able to use the app.

Might be good to use with super fast flying.

I recently picked up these zeiss goggles and a copy of cloudlight.

The software is a little buggy, it seems that every time I start it it's reporting it has crashed. BUT I've not had any problems actually using it.

And how is it in actual use? Awesome. The head tracking camera is a blast. It's amazingly fun to use. The down side is that you feel extremely vulnerable and don't have good situational awareness. You absolutely must have a partner to keep an eye on things from the ground.

Hey

Just wondering if anyone was rocking one of these with the inspire? I can see loads of advantaged and loads of disadvantages. Obviously you would need a team of two to operate like this, but being able to move the camera with you head could give you more freedom.

I find it hard operating looking into a super reflective iPad, even with the sunshield up. But with this thing on your head you won't be able to use the app.

Might be good to use with super fast flying.
IOS only no Android version yet

I just got this working, and it seems to be cheaper than Drone VR and has more on screen info that is important. I corresponded with the developer and he is very helpful.

This is a very early adopter setup, but it is way cheaper than the more "commercial" options. Basically on the Inspire 1 you are using your cell phone + VR goggles to display the screen; the head tracking feature of the cell phone to control the pan and pitch of the camera, and the standard controller to do the flying, take-off and landing, and camera shutter activation. Anything you can do with the controller works; anything you want to do with a touch screen is not possible (without taking the phone out of the headset). But you can start with DJI Go to set such things as RTH altitude, etc., then switch to Cloudlight. If you are using a short 1 ft. cord to your tablet you will want a longer standard cord to the iPhone in the headset.

Since you can't enter anything on the screen once you start, you will need to take-off under manual control using the two stick method to start the motors. You toggle to the straight through camera view (with one of the C buttons on the bottom of the controller) so you can watch the take-off from the controller view. Once you are airborne you can toggle back to the on-board camera view.

Theoretically any of the really cheap "cardboard" style goggles should work (e.g., the $25 kind), but the Zeiss VR One is nice because (1) it has better optics, and (2) it has a well thought out window to allow a "straight through" view from the phone's camera. In other words you can toggle between the aircraft's camera live feed, and the phone camera live feed. The cost is $10 for the app, under $100 for the Zeiss VR One, and it uses the iPhone you probably already have. That is less than a pair of Fatshark goggles.

This has great potential for two controller setups. The camera operator has no issues with the screen brightness and intuitive head tracking control of the camera. It is also advantageous for search, as the camera operator can keep eyes on the screen and spot things that would otherwise be missed.

I should add that you are on your own if a PIC uses this for commercial flying, since it is not line of sight for a pilot and therefore not FAA sanctioned under current Part 107. Whether you need a waiver from the FAA is up to you and your legal counsel. If you are using two person control, with the PIC using the master controller to fly line of sight, and the camera operator using the goggles to control the camera, then I judge it to be in compliance with Part 107. This does not address whether it is in compliance with FAA rules for recreational flying. If you have nothing better to do you can see my article (no login required, no cookies) on that here. http://www.rosepatents.com/dog--a-drone-blog/hobby_flying_10.pdf

Last edited:
Litchi offers this as well, with head tracking, using just a standard Android phone and cardbox type goggles. Separate cameraman with second controller is needed of course.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool