attempted Inspire 1 shoot down over neighbor's yard... need help synching flight data for police

It seems response to the OP are getting off track. From my understanding of the OP the operator was practicing flying the drone not taking photographs of neighbors and/or their homes. Based on that I don't see where it would be required to get approval to fly his drone in legal airspace. Just MHO

Reactions: Jeepguy1961

Actually I consider myself more of an RC airplane guy. The Sopwith I finished this year with my grandson, the super cub is a Hangar 9 with my yorkie
Thanks Mavic, and that's what the deputy thought as well. One thing I've learned in my 60 years is that everybody's got an opinion of the legality of any given situation but the only one that counts is the guy with a badge or my lawyer LOL. I sincerely appreciate everyone's opinion as it helps shape my response to the situation.. but the one thing I can say for sure in this experience is that even people in positions of authority all seem to have a different take on drones.

Special thanks to BudWalker for the detailed instructions on getting the flight details out of the bird!

I’ve always looked at the guy with the badge as the messenger.
(I’ve had several messages)
The one that counts is the one called “Your Honor”.

So if I’m doing a real estate shoot your proposition is that I canvas the neighborhood first and get everybody’s permission because they or their house might wind up in one of my shots?
Or if I’m in a shopping center doing a roof inspection and somebody should walk into the shot I should land run over and ask their permission?
Even from 150 feet you can’t make anybody out.
And I’ll tell you another thing it would just be something else for them to worry about when they really have no need to know.

And yet they seem to have no problem turning over their privacy to Mark Zuckerberg.
And I’ll tell you another thing it would just be something else for them to worry about when they really have no need to know.

I’ve always looked at the guy with the badge as the messenger.
(I’ve had several messages)
The one that counts is the one called “Your Honor”.
But the one important fact to take into consideration is how well the "messenger" delivers the message so the one called "Your Honor" can make the correct decision. In my 20+ years as a LEO I have seen some "messengers" inadequately prepare and present their case to the court. In those situations, “Your Honor’s” options are greatly limited, and the outcome of the case is not what was hoped for. Evidence speaks louder than words.

For sure... The LEO that made contact with me said that drones weren't considered aircraft. I'm an AMA member also and that statement was contrary to what I've always read in the AMA magazine which is why I called the local FAA office for clarification. They said most certainly they are considered aircraft and what the neighbor did was highly illegal.
So there you go, a glaring discrepancy between the authorities which we trust are giving us accurate info. Who do I believe lol.
So I'm just going to go through the motions, give the LEO what he says he needs, and not put any hope into it. At the bare minimum it will put him on notice that if he shoots it down he's going to create a whole new set of headaches for himself (the neighbor).

On a side note I still have the original phantom 3 and think next time I put one up I will keep the inspire out of harm's way haha

Thanks for the valuable input, I really do appreciate it and read your comment with close attention?

Reactions: InspireEagle
Your drone sounds alot like a Bell Jet Ranger

You're not shooting back !