Battery Charging - Performance Tips

When I fly and want to setup the battery for storage, I fly until 23.3v and land at 23.1v. That puts the 6 cells at 3.85 volts. Perfect for storage.

BlueSkies
Yes - although watch this because the cell voltage will be lower under load, so if you fly to that voltage and land, the pack voltage can actually recover to around 0.5 - 0.6v after rest putting your storage charge at 3.95v per cell.

According to DJI, they don't give a minimum to fly the battery down to that I have found but I fly it down to around 15 to 20% every flight. I then recharge it to 50% after the flight and fully charge it to 100% when I fly it again. After 20 flight's I fly it down to 5% or 3% and recharge it to 100%. You should be notified to do this in the software after 20 flights.

When I am in the field I use a Honda 2K generator to recharge, in order to lower my turnaround time as soon as I land I place the batteries in front of a fan, do you think this "quick cooling" is detrimental to battery life sir?

When I am in the field I use a Honda 2K generator to recharge, in order to lower my turnaround time as soon as I land I place the batteries in front of a fan, do you think this "quick cooling" is detrimental to battery life sir?
I would think that should be fine. You are simply moving the air away from the packs as they cool back to ambient. I wouldn't put them in front of an A/C air vent but a fan on them should do no harm.

I would think that should be fine. You are simply moving the air away from the packs as they cool back to ambient. I wouldn't put them in from of an A/C air vent but a fan on them should do no harm.
I truly appreciate you sir!
In fact as I'm discovering at this moment charging them under the cooling fan significantly reduced charging time also.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Editor
I find flying it down to 5% doesn't work for me. Doesn't calibrate the battery. Flying it down to 3.3v and land when 3.3v appears. Once landed, I allow the batt to cool and wait for it to shut off completely. Once that is done, I allow the battery to cool some more, and charge it to 100%. After that, all is well and it's calibrated. I hear it hurts the batt doing this method, but at least it's calibrated and it's done every 20 charges. I wait for the app to tell me to do it though. In case I forget when I last did it and what cycle it was performed.

Who told you it 'hurts' the battery? It doesn't.
The packs have an LVC built into them to prevent damage.

Reactions: Kevin Cabral
Who told you it 'hurts' the battery? It doesn't.
The packs have an LVC built into them to prevent damage.
I did notice that in the history for the battery. 'Low voltage protection'. Just been reading around and some people I know said it's never good to drain a battery completely. My 1 battery told me to deep cycle 2 days ago. So I drained it to 3.3v and landed. I believe it landed at 3.28v :S. So I had it grounded and the volts jumped to 3.4v. Allowed it to sit there till the battery turned off. Charged it to 100% and all seems fine so far. The total capacity went up a bit. It was at 5400 mah. After calibration it jumped to 5570 mah I think. Not bad... Just worried I hurt the battery. The way I'm deep cycling it, is that fine to do?