Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Best zoom lens do for the X5?

question about the 14-42. If you balance it at 14mm (the lens fully retracted) and then zoom out (fully extending) the lens. Doesn't that radically change the center of gravity of the lens and play hell on the gimbal?

question about the 14-42. If you balance it at 14mm (the lens fully retracted) and then zoom out (fully extending) the lens. Doesn't that radically change the center of gravity of the lens and play hell on the gimbal?
Hmmm yes good question. Does it digitally zoom or physically zoom out like a telephoto lens?

Just read the description on B&H and it says "Electronic Zoom Mechanism". Also, do you know if the zoom can be operated in the air or do you need to choose the focal length before take off? Here is the image I saw, that looks like it extends on an inspire 1 x5.
Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 9.21.53 AM.png

Also here is a youtube link that actually shows it extending?

Reactions: DStealth
I just bought a 14-42 for my Inspire 1 X5. Clarity seems great so far but I'm finding a "fisheye" type bending of straight lines (i.e. roof lines, etc) when zoomed all the way in. I did a quick search but haven't yet found a fix or correction. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or settings I may be off on?

The 14-42 does have a certain amount of barrel and pin distortion. You just need to correct it as part of your post processing workflow. It's not a great lens to be honest but it's very useful in the air to have the ability to zoom.

Thank you rilot. All I have had time to try so far is the lens correction selection in Lightroom but it appears to only be generic for the inspire 1 and not this particular lens. I'm still figuring that end of things out.

Hi guys I'm wondering which Olympus 14-42 lens should I get? The older one or the newer pancake one? Thank you!

I'd have the stock 15mm and the 45mm and stay clear of the zoom imho. Maybe get the 25mm too.
Having the 15mm and the 45mm covered you for nearly everything and their prime lenses so nothing extra to go wrong.

I bought one and it went straight back The next day.
I now know mainly due to a DJI firmware issue..
It made horrible grinding sounds all the time and was a pain the the rear end to balance too.
Dave

I'd have the stock 15mm and the 45mm and stay clear of the zoom imho. Maybe get the 25mm too.
Having the 15mm and the 45mm covered you for nearly everything and their prime lenses so nothing extra to go wrong.

I bought one and it went straight back The next day.
I now know mainly due to a DJI firmware issue..
It made horrible grinding sounds all the time and was a pain the the rear end to balance too.
Dave

Thank you for the advice Dave. I was recently gifted an Olympus MFT camera that comes with the 14-42mm pancake lens that happens to be compatible with the X5.

You are absolutely correct on the balancing issue. Thus I have decided to exchange the zoom lense with a 25mm, and getting an additional 45mm as well. That should cover the need for both the Inspire and the Olympus.

for changing lens, you should have the gimbal balanced so it doesn't move from the position you set it in when the camera is off/disconnected.

if it rolls or moves at all when its not powered, its not balanced right and your gimbal will start making all kinds of funny noises when you turn on your drone. a very simple way of balancing these is with bluetack and small coins. low tech for sure, but it works.

for what its worth, id suggest using a prime lens (eg the 15mm stock lens) over a zoom lens (the 14-42mm) every day of the week. theyre far sharper. plus when your flying it on a drone it gets rid of the traditional disadvantage of you having to move closer or farther away from your subject to get the photo. with the drone its dead easy as its doing all the moving.

the 45mm is a beautiful lens btw, just don't fly too far away with it on as the narrower field of view it gives can make it more difficult to spot your landing position if your only flying by the picture on your phone/table screen. its great for doing cool flybys of stuff on video too, its advisable to have a second operator with you when flying with that lens, with the narrower field of view its tough to keep the camera steady on your subject as your flying past.

Hi Dave – Best lens option for zoom would be the Olympus 14-42mm as @AlanP mentioned. If zoom is not a necessity and you're looking for a longer lens then I'd recommend taking a look at the Olympus 45mm. Safe flying!
Can I ask please, could you provide the full title of the Olympus lens mentioned here, the 14-42. I would like to be able to order the correct one. And if possible, the full title of the balancing ring if that is also required to fit the mount that comes with the Inspire 2 and x5s setup, thank you very much

I'll post, but not sure anyone will reply:

I'm new to this...I'm sorry if I'm asking questions that have been asked and answered before...

I just got an Inspire Pro with the X5, but it didn't come with a lens. I ordered the Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ. I understand that I need to balance it as shown in the video (in Dutch)...so, I need to know how he balanced it. I would like an ND filter and I found a set on Amazon (B01K9O1OJC). Will these be enough to balance or do I still need a balance ring (B01D409Q2A)? Does all of this stuff, "just work" together. One thing just screws into the other? Do I need other items to properly balance like a hood (B0062F1K3S). I'm listing these things in particular as I've seen them listed together with this particular lens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84