Concerns about the Geo fencing and updating the NO Fly database

rmb

Reaction score
Website
overexposures.net
I am reading horror stories about people that have updated and then suddenly can’t takeoff in certain areas that would not apply to me as a 107 pilot. For instance if I’m 5 miles from an airport and I am a hobbyist I can’t fly there, but if I’m a107 pilot and my sectional charts shows clearly show that even though I might be 4 miles from the airport their airspace might no start until 1200 ft meaning I can fly below 400 feet without entering their airspace. My question is; am I at risk of not being able to fly there bcuase of some vague automated feature or can I override the geo fencing if I know that it is both safe and legal to fly?

Reactions: Phil DeVore
That’s exactly why I hit the IGNORE button every time DJI asks!! No thanks

Reactions: rmb
I’m on an Inspire 1 and the latest firmware. Don’t know if it’s different with i2, but the lastt time I was in a NFZ (about 3 months ago), Inspire wouldn’t launch, but I got a pop up that asked me if I wanted to unlock. I clicked yes, it sent me a text and asked me to confirm that I take full responsibility in the event of an incident..... then I was able to launch.

Reactions: 2DREAM
Last Friday - I had to go through some hoops to fly at a working airport. We were filming semis coming down an empty runway. The FAA was the first hurdle. Waiver process went great went through the drone zone. Then I submitted the FAA waiverand flight plans to DJI fly safe and they unlocked it and even widened the geofencing unlocking after they reviewed the flight plan.

I made the flight plan in AirMap and screen captured it and attached it to flysafe application. I attached FAA waiver as well.

My mistake was waiting to wait to unlock the I2 until I got to set. DJI flysafe support communicated quite quickly through email support through the DJI flysafe email system.

I wasn’t able to take off without updating the DJI go 4 App and the database. Had to delete and reinstall GO4. This meant I had to leave from set to get wifi and not cellular coverage to upload it. The database also had to be up to dated.

Then it unlocked. And I was able to fly - took three hours to finally get it up in the air. I would unlock before arriving at location again.

The only way to override it seems you need to obtain an “unlock”.

After updating app, on the same iPad, I was able to fly the P4Pro and unlock a geofence in a no fly zone this week through the DJI flysafe and there was no issue and gave a 3 day window.

I’ve had luck with the AirMap app and getting approval for LAANC in previous areas where it was a no-go. Done it several times with success.

Just updated the I2 with the battery update and am testing this week.

Reactions: Slaw1211