Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Controller separation distance

Reaction score
Website
airtaccavs.com
This is edited to avoid confusion. underlined the platform...

Has anyone experimented with the max separation distance between the primary controller, secondary controller and inspire? Ex: Secondary controller is in the managers shack with HDMI connection to a monitor. The drone, primary controller and RPIC (VLOS) are on the aggregate site bout a mile away. How far can you go before loosing picture or gimbal control on the secondary controller?

Last edited:
You would be lucky to get more than 50 feet reliably between controllers and loosing signal. The video signal goes from the drone to the master controller and then the master controller relays the signal to the slave. A multi link will extend your range to maybe 100ft between controllers. Point being you need to output the signal from the Inspire remote at your aggregate site to a separate RF link to beam back to the managers shack. Depending on terrain and obstacles it could be an expensive endeavor because you need near line of sight between the transmitter and receiver on cheaper systems but it can absolutely be done.

This is edited to avoid confusion.

Has anyone experimented with the max separation distance between the primary controller, secondary controller and inspire? Ex: Secondary controller is in the managers shack with HDMI connection to a monitor. The drone, primary controller and RPIC (VLOS) are on the aggregate site bout a mile away. How far can you go before loosing picture or gimbal control on the secondary controller?

You do not say what platform/aircraft you are talking about.
Around 50-75 feet is the limit.

Video is relayed from the master via low power 5.8ghz link.

A Teradek Bolt will do what you are after but will cost more than an Inspire 2 !

I can only speak for the Inspire 1...

Though I have never experimented with this, it sounds reasonable that you can separate the controllers about 50 ft., as the Master relays information (like which video channel to use, gimbal commands, etc.) to the slave via 5.8 Ghz (which I believe is "BlueTooth" in nature), and the Slave relays gimbal commands to the Master. Relatively speaking, that's not a lot of information compared to video data (especially if you disable channel switching). That said...

There seems to be some mistake about the video feed, though. Both controllers receive video directly from the Tx on the bird. This can be proved by using range extenders, which are directional. Fly the bird far away to where range extenders are needed. Remove the range extender from either the Slave or Master (or point the controller away from the bird). Only that controller will suffer video feed issues. This can be done with either controller. Only cursory information is exchanged between the controllers. I'm pretty sure they receive telemetry data independently, too, but I haven't been able to prove that.

Video feed issues also becomes apparent with channel switching. Since the Master handles the video feed channel switching and then relays that data to the Slave, I have found it hugely advantageous to use manual or "Custom" channel mode. We find a clear channel on the Master, set it and forget it.

While there are ways to extend your video feed range, as far as I know, there's no way to extend the "BlueTooth" connection between the remotes. Because my pilot and I are in constant dialog, I've never wanted to be out of voice range anyway.

1583589094109.png

D

Last edited:
Reactions: hoverkat92

Though I have never experimented with this, it sounds reasonable that you can separate the controllers about 50 ft., as the Master relays information (like which video channel to use, gimbal commands, etc.) to the slave via 5.8 Ghz (which I believe is "BlueTooth" in nature), and the Slave relays gimbal commands to the Master. Relatively speaking, that's not a lot of information compared to video data (especially if you disable channel switching). That said...

There seems to be some mistake about the video feed, though. Both controllers receive video directly from the Tx on the bird. This can be proved by using range extenders, which are directional. Fly the bird far away to where range extenders are needed. Remove the range extender from either the Slave or Master (or point the controller away from the bird). Only that controller will suffer video feed issues. This can be done with either controller. Only cursory information is exchanged between the controllers. I'm pretty sure they receive telemetry data independently, too, but I haven't been able to prove that.

Video feed issues also becomes apparent with channel switching. Since the Master handles the video feed channel switching and then relays that data to the Slave, I have found it hugely advantageous to use manual or "Custom" channel mode. We find a clear channel on the Master, set it and forget it.

While there are ways to extend your video feed range, as far as I know, there's no way to extend the "BlueTooth" connection between the remotes. Because my pilot and I are in constant dialog, I've never wanted to be out of voice range anyway.

View attachment 28277

D

View attachment 28277

D
Thanks DF. BTW, Nice drum kit!!!!!

You would be lucky to get more than 50 feet reliably between controllers and loosing signal. The video signal goes from the drone to the master controller and then the master controller relays the signal to the slave. A multi link will extend your range to maybe 100ft between controllers. Point being you need to output the signal from the Inspire remote at your aggregate site to a separate RF link to beam back to the managers shack. Depending on terrain and obstacles it could be an expensive endeavor because you need near line of sight between the transmitter and receiver on cheaper systems but it can absolutely be done.

Thanks Drone TechAerial.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonengo Brian