Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Defeating airport lock out

Yeah, keep telling yourself that Gris...
It sure would be fun to debate, but I don't have really have the time.

I'm sure "aeriographer" the author of the "blog"you posted has a deep legal understanding of FAA regulations.

But for those that are interested, the FAA doc I posted above (with just a few minutes of critical reading) can clear up any remaining questions you may have about the current legality of commercial drone use, not what some blogger wrote way back in March 2014.
There is nothing to debate, it's a simple fact. They haven't yet released any uav regulations. Go ask a lawyer, there is no law regulating uav flight and the full size aircraft regulations they are using for "recommendations" in the meantime do not apply and will not hold up in court. The faa knows this, it even states on the faa website they are "recommendations" regarding commercial uav flight and that's why they no longer issue letters to YouTube users about 333 exemptions. They simply have no authority to do so and they know it. The first people they harassed about it fought back and won. You can believe what you want, but you can't argue against the facts.

Sounds like an improvement over their current system. Wonder how that's gonna affect people that fly with tablet in airplane mode.
I was wondering the same. They mentioned the unlock would be temporary so maybe you can request the unlock through the site and it will last for 24 hours or some arbitrary length of time, allowing you to operate while not connected. Of course you wouldn't have the benefit of Airmap's up-to-date data on TFRs but you can still look it up before you head it out like the good old days.

There is nothing to debate, it's a simple fact. They haven't yet released any uav regulations. Go ask a lawyer, there is no law regulating uav flight and the full size aircraft regulations they are using for "recommendations" in the meantime do not apply and will not hold up in court.

I had the legal department at my company look into it. After two weeks they came back saying it's a huge gray area and they aren't comfortable saying one way or another if the FAA has jurisdiction or that there is anything enforceable. I decided it's better to not poke the hornets nest it left it alone.

Reactions: SultanGris
I had the legal department at my company look into it. After two weeks they came back saying it's a huge gray area and they aren't comfortable saying one way or another if the FAA has jurisdiction or that there is anything enforceable. I decided it's better to not poke the hornets nest it left it alone.
Fair enough, I shouldn't say there are no laws regarding them at all. If you invade airport airspace, violate city ordinances like the one LA recently passed or crash one into someone causing injury or property damage you will get in trouble and rightly so.

I'm just saying as far as flying commercially they technically have no jurisdiction. In the unlikely event they did try to come after you for not having it you'd win in court but probably cheaper in the long run to just get the 333 exemption. It's pretty easy to get and then you don't have to worry about it, I'm just saying it's technically not legally required if push comes to shove is all

Reactions: Joola

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fivafi