Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI X5 Lens Test Olympus 14-42mm

Indeed ... it's a fair lens, for sure, and the ability to dial in the fov while in the air is great. I can't imagine trying to do a smooth zoom while flying .. well, I guess I could .. in hover ... but more often than not I'm trying to use the flying aspect to change parallax and perspective, rather than fov transition .. could use the smooth zoom more on the Osmo.

I also found that the zoom works smoothly on my osmo X5...really disappointing that it zooms smooth on the osmo and not the inspire but still a useful lens on the bird.

Thanks @Mizamook for the feedback. Been too busy with editing to fly it more than once but next week gonna go big on testing and shooting. Will try to throw up a short edit like others have done with this lens.

Anyone have a preference or notice a quality difference between Tiffen and Hoya Neutral Density filters? Looks like both make a 37mm thread size. Tiffen one is $5 cheaper.

Has anyone experimented with the balance ring and ND filter combos? I have an ND filter now, and while its not as heavy as the balance ring I am considering not using the balance ring on top of the ND filter. Any advice on if an ND filter in place of balance ring is a nice mid range weight solution..?

Has anyone experimented with the balance ring and ND filter combos? I have an ND filter now, and while its not as heavy as the balance ring I am considering not using the balance ring on top of the ND filter. Any advice on if an ND filter in place of balance ring is a nice mid range weight solution..?
I couldn't find a good combination with the balance ring so my solution was to get a 37mm to 46mm step up ring(Sensei 37mm Lens to 46mm Filter Step-Up Ring https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AE1LDRY?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf) and use that in combination with my B+W nd filters and 46mm balance ring for my 15mm DJI and 12mm Olympus lens. Balances perfectly and now most of my lenses use the same filter size.

Greetings from California, I too fly the Inspire One Pro with the Olympus M.Zuiko ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ. I tried the balancing ring without the filter and the gimbal really had to work overtime and was quite noisy. I removed the balancing ring and installed a single ND filter and the lens operated normally. AND I also agree with the others, zooming while taking video produces poor results. For our videos we have been using D-Log with processing in DiVinci Resolve with stunning results. Learning curve for DiVinci is steep unless you have a color correction background, but worth it.

Reactions: Mixchief
Greetings from California, I too fly the Inspire One Pro with the Olympus M.Zuiko ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ. I tried the balancing ring without the filter and the gimbal really had to work overtime and was quite noisy. I removed the balancing ring and installed a single ND filter and the lens operated normally. AND I also agree with the others, zooming while taking video produces poor results. For our videos we have been using D-Log with processing in DiVinci Resolve with stunning results. Learning curve for DiVinci is steep unless you have a color correction background, but worth it.
What ND filter are you using?

I am using K&F Concept which has 3 in a set/2ND, 4ND and 8ND......usually fly with the 4 on sunny days and the 8 if by the ocean.

are these the filters you have?

cant decide if i should purchase a 37 > 43mm step up ring and use my current filters or buy the K&F concept type you mentioned.

I have used the 14-42 lens and find it to be a good single lens alternative to having a 12mm and a 45mm. It is subject to micro bounces if everything, props and gimbal are not balanced well. I use a ND9 filter to keep the ISO between 100 and 200.
Greetings from California,
Just saw your post about props and gimbal balance and this reminds me of my problem when I switched to the M4/3 camera with the Olympus M.Zuiko ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ. I found that my Inspire 1 had mis-matched motors and got "motor overload" errors only on take off, but those cleared in flight. Took my Inspire 1 into DJI and they put matching motors and controllers at a reasonable price. Made sense - heavier camera/lens - greater load on the motors.

Your thoughts?

Larr2000

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell