Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Does anyone have experience flying at large public events?

Reaction score
I have been approached by a new client who would like me to take some aerial photos at a world record attempt. I don't really have much experience covering large events so I'm not sure what all I need to consider.

There will be roughly 3000 people standing together to form a shape with their bodies. The site will be closed off to anyone who is not there to participate in the record attempt.

I am in the UK, so I know that I couldn't fly within 150m of this open air gather of more than 1000 people. Should I worry about wind direction on the day - if my transmitter disconnects then it may drift toward the crowd? What sort of permission/ release form do I need to get people on site to sign? What is the best sort of emergency procedure to put in place at things like this? What else do I need to consider here?

Any advice is appreciated!

I did something similar and was able to be a safe distance away from them and used a longer zoom lens to shoot down and on an angle at them. I'm in the US with fairly strict rules but we still had everyone sign liability waivers...

I have been approached by a new client who would like me to take some aerial photos at a world record attempt. I don't really have much experience covering large events so I'm not sure what all I need to consider.

There will be roughly 3000 people standing together to form a shape with their bodies. The site will be closed off to anyone who is not there to participate in the record attempt.

I am in the UK, so I know that I couldn't fly within 150m of this open air gather of more than 1000 people. Should I worry about wind direction on the day - if my transmitter disconnects then it may drift toward the crowd? What sort of permission/ release form do I need to get people on site to sign? What is the best sort of emergency procedure to put in place at things like this? What else do I need to consider here?

Any advice is appreciated!
Moved to correct section.

Presumably you hold PfCO in which case you will have a working knowledge of risk assessments and site surveys.
To answer your question - yes, wind direction should definitely be a factor in your RA and it is advisable to also have more than one ‘ditch area’ in the event of a problem.
At public events of 3,000 people it is not practical to have every attendee sign a waiver however, since this is a closed event it would by advisable to have a pro-former sheet waiver where people are required to sign and print their name as they enter. Presumably, they know why they are there and should not have an issue signing a waiver. Although this will not absolve you of all liability (since negligence can still be cited and will not give you a defense against personal injury/death) it will give you a level of protection should anything untoward happen.

Good luck with the attempt

Reactions: slim.slamma
Should I worry about wind direction on the day - if my transmitter disconnects then it may drift toward the crowd? What sort of permission/ release form do I need to get people on site to sign? What is the best sort of emergency procedure to put in place at things like this? What else do I need to consider here?

What company did you take your PfCO with for them not to teach you this stuff!?

Moved to correct section.

Presumably you hold PfCO in which case you will have a working knowledge of risk assessments and site surveys.
To answer your question - yes, wind direction should definitely be a factor in your RA and it is advisable to also have more than one ‘ditch area’ in the event of a problem.
At public events of 3,000 people it is not practical to have every attendee sign a waiver however, since this is a closed event it would by advisable to have a pro-former sheet waiver where people are required to sign and print their name as they enter. Presumably, they know why they are there and should not have an issue signing a waiver. Although this will not absolve you of all liability (since negligence can still be cited and will not give you a defense against personal injury/death) it will give you a level of protection should anything untoward happen.

Good luck with the attempt

Great reply 'Ed' - informative, positive and encouraging. Operating in 3D airspace whilst concentrating on photography or video filming whilst at the same time considering crucial safety aspects can be a daunting challenge for both experienced pilots and newcomers to this very new industry.

Forums such as this one play a big role in helping people to operate in a confident and safe manner.

Reactions: The Editor
Sorry my response was not as positive as The Editors, but safety is a concern on a job with 3000 people.
A PfCO holder should already have these things written into the operations manual, under emergency procedures. Which made me question if NIDroneGuy holds a PfCO, or question the competency of the company who trained someone up without discussing what happens when a transceiver is disconnected.

I shouldn't jump to conclusions, and at least NIDroneGuy is asking for help which is more than some do.

FYI NIDroneGuy, there are 3 planned things that happen when the transceiver is disconnected - They are all set in the DJI Go App.

1 - Hover: Note If the drone is in Atti mode then it will drift with the wind...
2 - Land: Does what it says on the tin.
3 - Return Home: Make sure you gave the drone enough time to set it's home position before taking off. Check it's return home altitude too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela