Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FAA Release NEW rules for UAS Operations

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: The Editor
Two main questions.

1. Is the DJI's RemoteID complied with the new rules, or can it be made comply via firmware upgrade?

2. In which categories are falling different DJI drones (Mavic 2 Pro, Phantome, Inspires) according the new "flying over people" regulations?

Any ideas?

Already thinking about the workarounds....

IMHO, the FAA has been too subjective and arbitrary with just about every drone rule/regulation they invented (perfect word). Even the 107 (a test any non-drone-owning housewife can pass) guarantees nothing. I find it hilarious that their response to huge shortcomings of their 107ish regulations is to make more regulations. I guess fixing the horribly flawed certification system never even occurred to them.

What I wouldn't give to sit down with the powers that be and create a REAL certification system that would educate UAS pilots on the key points they need to understand (METARS be damned), and would absolutely include a practical test. I'm sure the 1/2 dozen FAA guys sitting at their desk doing literally nothing all day making 6-figures a year would cite, "We just don't have the personnel." SMH.

Dollars to doughnuts, this is the FAA's response to pressure from Amazon's and Google's drone delivery divisions. Any takers?

D

Last edited:
Reactions: CactusJackSlade
Just my opinion, but there will have to be many small tags that transmit available. Obviously new drones will comply, but this isn't just drones. There is a huge segment of DIY people, by that I mean, drones, gliders, planes, helicopters, paraplanes, model rockets, etc. Not all of what I've described are RTF or BNF. There are still a lot of builders / DIYers out there that will need to comply. I don't believe it's the intention of the FAA to ground everyone.

For example, when you buy a receiver it will eventually include the tag with Bluetooth and or WiFi.

I think how the technology will work is still an unknown. I will infer the tag may be a data logger / black box for law enforcement, so when needed law enforcement will need Bluetooth or WiFi access to your logs so once they have you land, confiscate, or recover a crashed drone, they can access the owner info and flight logs.

I don't see how a live Bluetooth / Wifi connection would work so when people say anyone in the public can monitor your drone, I don't believe that. Bluetooth needs to be bound, so does Wifi. Both have limited range, so I don't see live monitoring being what they are after here.

I've also heard people say private property should be a designated exempted zone in addition to authorized flight fields. My problem with that is that private property doesn't matter, the FAA in the United States already has jurisdiction over the airspace above private property.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
There is so many questions that need to be answered, A lot comes to mind as I'm digesting 400+ pages of government lingo... but given how the government works, all this is going to come to a screeching halt when people/companies can't meet the deadlines with the "tech" side of this remote ID business. Just the power output that's needed, then add in bluetooth and/or wifi in what... some kind of dongle? There is no mention of grants for retrofitting existing aircraft either... The AMA is getting ready for an influx of membership in order to get these fly zones setup for those who don't want to register. Done U was pushing for expanding on RFID and I was on-board with that too. I had my own experience with the US NAVY and RFID and believe me... It works!

The FPV and the hobby/model plane community again seems to be taking a hit with this ruling. I was part of that as a kid with my COX gas powered flyer as my nerdy self took to the skys. I love what the FPV community has done. They have some cool tech in that space too... This is NOT operation Light Speed with Billions to throw at a solution. There is a lot of trial and error to go through and not enough time to evaluate the tech or enough money to literally 24/7 a solution in 18 months and be able to institute and national retro fit or buy back program for the aircraft that can't be retrofitted and lets not go to the resale market for those aircraft, They are boat anchors now if they can be retro fitted. Even if you have 5 acres out in the middle of nowhere if your more then 0.55 you must comply...

Man, I just picked up a super nice pre owned Autel EVO 1 to play with on Sunday, now I'm going to have a brick if it can't be retro fitted and as cool as the millennium falcon is... I don't want a deflector dish on the top of my bird wile I'm trying to fly/film the inside of a huge constriction project... (that image would be even more funny on my Whoop! LOL...) Actually, that idea of my Whoop & a GoPro 8 being allowed to intermix with a crowd or vehicles over my I2 is crazy.

So much to take in and yet so much could be taken out, not to say "its all bad" (I'm still reading the 400 page doc) but in the end, this ruling, in 30 days it will be law of the land. Amazon and Google will have their way, they have the billions to throw at the solution so it can serve their agenda. Donnie Frank has a point... A REAL certification system so you don't have people continuing to go off the rails buying something like an I-1 and then go straight out and fly BVLOS with a GoPro strapped to its backside and then panhandling this forum to help them find it after he looses signal and the aircraft goes rogue... (that did happen) It's going to be an interesting next few months... : D Happy New Year everyone!

Yup what others above have said. The 107 cert process is incomplete, just because you can pass an exam, you can fly?... No flight test to prove you even know what you are doing or bring your bird home manually if tech fails you?

I understand and do not oppose remote ID, within reason. If I live on a ranch in the middle of nowhere for instance. Or you are flying in the middle of nowhere (which I do often). Basically all my fixed wing aircraft will be unusable unless a RID retrofit can be had.

I'm thinking this will have a very detrimental effect on the R/C industry as a whole.... on the other hand it should prevent idiots from flying where they should not be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pavitrakher1