Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Gimbal Damage

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Hi guys,

I've been flying my Inspire for a few weeks now where it's been faultless and alarmingly fun!

I was playing with the dogs today (they love to chase it, then run when it turns round!), anyhow on one rather impressive swooping turn I got a little too low to the ground and caught the camera on something (the field I was in is very uneven).
The camera is fine, but the gimbal took some damage; as you can see in the attached picture it appears to have shifted in it's housing somewhat. The movement on that axis is also reduced, it can be moved by hand but in flight it's solid.

GXup5c8.jpg

I guess my question is; is this something that can be fixed at home, or do I need to send to DJI, or some other option?

I'm not gonna pretend this was anything but pilot error haha, so I'm not looking for freebies, just how to get it fixed as I don't believe it warrants the purchase of a new camera.

Thanks for any help!

Definitely looks like you'll have to send it in. Send DJI Support a pic and ask them. If you need to get a new one, it's $550, gimbal and cam.

i had ghe same problem and managed to bend it back with a standing drill where i could put the force on it bit by bit... it is still off about half a degree but working good. you have to make sure it is supported well and no force is on the motors when you put it back. i had a thread about it where i asked for a pic as reference to see the straight parts and angles.

Definitely looks like you'll have to send it in. Send DJI Support a pic and ask them. If you need to get a new one, it's $550, gimbal and cam.

Yup, thats what I'm reckoning at the moment.
So since I'm probably gonna have to get a new one, I'll have a go at fixing it first.
I've sent DJI an email with photos in the meantime. But I guess I might not hear back 'til next week now.

i had ghe same problem and managed to bend it back with a standing drill where i could put the force on it bit by bit... it is still off about half a degree but working good. you have to make sure it is supported well and no force is on the motors when you put it back. i had a thread about it where i asked for a pic as reference to see the straight parts and angles.

Well, it's good to know there is a potential solution, do you have a link to the thread? I can't seem to find anything by searching.
I'll have a go at fixing it this weekend.

Yup, thats what I'm reckoning at the moment.
So since I'm probably gonna have to get a new one, I'll have a go at fixing it first.
I've sent DJI an email with photos in the meantime. But I guess I might not hear back 'til next week now.

If you buy a new one, would you consider selling the old one so I can get the bracket? If that part is still good, I'll buy it off you you can put that money towards a new one. If not, I'll buy a new one myself...

Let me know.

Mark

Last edited:
Just broke the gimbal down, I think if the bracket is good, it would be possible to disassemble it and take the good parts.

Mark

Just broke the gimbal down, I think if the bracket is good, it would be possible to disassemble it and take the good parts.

Mark

Yeah, I would be happy to cannibalise it for parts, but I fear the gimbal may be too damaged.
Can you give me a quick guide on how to break the gimbal down? I got so far and can't get the housing apart, I'm sure it must be simple but I can't for the life of me work it out!
I fix a lot of phones/laptops/cameras and this is infuriating me!

It's actually quite simple.

1) Remove the round end cap with 2 screws that "cap" on the end of the upper gimbal bracket where it swivels to the bottom bracket where it is actually attached to the camera. (two tiny phillip screws)

2) When the cap is off, remove 2 larger torx screws that will separate the upper gimbal bracket (the one you just removed the end cap on)

3) With the cap and bracket removed, you will see a round circuit board which is held on by 3 tiny phillips screws.

4) Remove those screws and lift the circuit board up. (there will be two tiny ribbon cables that are "clipped" in... there is enough room to just flop the circuit board over (because it's still being attached by the ribbon cables) and under the circuit board, there is a 9 or 10mm nut with two washers underneath it.

5) Remove the nut and the housing will separate. The ribbon cables that we left still attached connect to one big cable which wraps around the armature and bushings.

I hadn't taken the rest of it apart because I only need the upper bracket.

IMG_0446_zpsk6c8fw9b.jpg

HTH's,

Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: tubaornottuba
It's actually quite simple.

1) Remove the round end cap with 2 screws that "cap" on the end of the upper gimbal bracket where it swivels to the bottom bracket where it is actually attached to the camera. (two tiny phillip screws)

2) When the cap is off, remove 2 larger torx screws that will separate the upper gimbal bracket (the one you just removed the end cap on)

3) With the cap and bracket removed, you will see a round circuit board which is held on by 3 tiny phillips screws.

4) Remove those screws and lift the circuit board up. (there will be two tiny ribbon cables that are "clipped" in... there is enough room to just flop the circuit board over (because it's still being attached by the ribbon cables) and under the circuit board, there is a 9 or 10mm nut with two washers underneath it.

5) Remove the nut and the housing will separate. The ribbon cables that we left still attached connect to one big cable which wraps around the armature and bushings.

I hadn't taken the rest of it apart because I only need the upper bracket.

IMG_0446_zpsk6c8fw9b.jpg

HTH's,

Mark

Thanks!
I had actually done it that way, but I guess I must've caused more issue than I thought, as the nut with the two washers comes off fine, but the armature and bushings did not move one bit. I couldn't move it or the surrounding assembly at all. (the one directly behind the camera, not the one holding the camera on).
Anyhow, I managed to get it apart, but the ribbon cable is torn. They have them at the site below but there is too much other stuff that is not right with it so I may have to just get a new one and keep the old for parts.

Found some spares here: https://www.toemen.nl/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=dji+inspire&Submit=
I can get a camera from here for a little cheaper due to the exchange rate.

I'm pretty sure the top bracket is in perfect working order, so would be willing to part with that if you're interested.
I can't see how to get it apart without damaging the cable yet though.

Yeah, I just found out the spiral crank that raises and lowers the landing gear must be warped. When the landing gear goes up, it has a shimmy to it.

BTW, not sure where you live but with the US exchange rate, that camera in US currency is 584 where locally it's 550. Not a big deal, just thought I'd mention that.

Guess I'm going to send the whole thing off Monday....

Mark

Thanks!
I had actually done it that way, but I guess I must've caused more issue than I thought, as the nut with the two washers comes off fine, but the armature and bushings did not move one bit. I couldn't move it or the surrounding assembly at all. (the one directly behind the camera, not the one holding the camera on).
Anyhow, I managed to get it apart, but the ribbon cable is torn. They have them at the site below but there is too much other stuff that is not right with it so I may have to just get a new one and keep the old for parts.

Found some spares here: https://www.toemen.nl/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=dji inspire&Submit=
I can get a camera from here for a little cheaper due to the exchange rate.

I'm pretty sure the top bracket is in perfect working order, so would be willing to part with that if you're interested.
I can't see how to get it apart without damaging the cable yet though.

One more question... You mention that the ribbon cable is torn, which one? There are two small ones that connect to the aircraft itself and then the one that goes underneath that top bracket.

Regardless, if you'd like to sell the top bracket, I'll still take it if you don't mind...

Thanks,

Mark

Sorry about your snag. Would like to see some video of the dogs chasing I bet that's pretty comical!

One more question... You mention that the ribbon cable is torn, which one? There are two small ones that connect to the aircraft itself and then the one that goes underneath that top bracket.

Regardless, if you'd like to sell the top bracket, I'll still take it if you don't mind...

Thanks,

Mark

The torn cable is the one underneath the top bracket, and it's torn between the top bracket and the middle bracket (so it will need replacing). There was no way to get it off as the armature on the middle bracket is stuck solid.
I'll send photos when I get home.
The camera was still sending video to the ipad, so everthing else was fine.
I'll PM you with more details.

I don't know the finer details, but I'm in the UK, so buying stuff from EU member states can often be a better deal due to sales tax (I bought my router from amazon Germany and saved 20%). I presume it's similar to how your tax varies state-to-state.

Sorry about your snag. Would like to see some video of the dogs chasing I bet that's pretty comical!

Haha, sadly I was smart enough not to try to film as well as fly in this manner! But I do now regret not even getting footage seeing as I paid so dearly for it..I'll have to try to film them on my 'training quad' sometime.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop