Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

How do I video 1000 acres?

Reaction score
I have been asked to produce a video of about 1000 acres of farm land for a schedule of condition. Is there an app, such as drone deploy that would fly the area and take video to enable production of a film instead of taking stills for production of a map? Thank you.

I have been asked to produce a video of about 1000 acres of farm land for a schedule of condition. Is there an app, such as drone deploy that would fly the area and take video to enable production of a film instead of taking stills for production of a map? Thank you.
Yes quite a few.
If all you want to do is video an area then two of the most popular (and reliable) would be Litchi and Autopilot. Both of these apps can do what you want autonomously. There are many others.

Yes quite a few.
If all you want to do is video an area then two of the most popular (and reliable) would be Litchi and Autopilot. Both of these apps can do what you want autonomously. There are many others.
FPV Camera is even better for this.
There are better alternatives to Litchi and AP.

Yes quite a few.

Beware the caveat, fully automated flight (including automated camera operation) via Autopilot requires the bird to be in constant, solid connection with the controller. If you launched from the exact middle of the 1,000 acre plot, you MIGHT be able to do it (under a mile in all directions). But more than likely not. Anything other than the exact middle of a 1000 acre square decreases your chances of success. I don't know about Litchi.

Their request is unusual and vague. What resolution to they want? What camera angle? Straight down? Oblique?

Assuming a 1,000 acre square, if they're looking for just a general aerial "tour" of the property, you could shoot a zig-zag pattern @ an oblique angle @ 400' AGL and get the entire property in < 4 flights. If you want to automate the flight, this can be done easily in the GS Pro app or the Go app. The best part is that, unlike Autopilot, the GS Pro app allows your bird can lose contact with your controller, and will continue its mission.

I have a tutorial on YouTube that highlights the Go App's automated (Waypoint) features.

Waypoint basics:

Though these tutorials don't cover your exact situation, you can use the information given to build the waypoint mission you need. Unfortunately, I haven't produced a video on GS Pro app waypoint flying yet.

Good luck!

Interesting video,
Just an observation, were your neighbours notified and happy with the filming of the tutorial or is the law different in the US to the UK when you should keep minimum 50M away from property vehicles etc?

Interesting video,
Just an observation, were your neighbours notified and happy with the filming of the tutorial or is the law different in the US to the UK when you should keep minimum 50M away from property vehicles etc?

The laws are different in the U.S. 50m doesn't apply here. Did not inform neighbors. Did see two neighbors. They said hello, chatted a bit about the drone, and moved on.

In the U.S., we are required to register our drones with the FAA. As such, our vehicles are privy to all the same rules and regulations as full scale aviation, which includes easements.

In the U.S., you don't own the sky over your property. The same laws that allow helicopters, planes and hot air balloons to fly over your property, also allows drones to do the same. When you think about it, it makes a lot of sense, as nobody sues the news station or sheriff's department when they fly their 2-ton helicopters with a $50,000 camera over their property. So why should one be concerned with a 3 lb. drone with $300 camera? I'll never get how one can ignore the former, yet go ballistic over the latter. Makes zero sense.

It would be interesting to see U.K. helicopter crash statistics, and then drone crash statistics. I didn't go to college or anything, but I'm going to guess ONE in-city helicopter crash caused more property damage and human carnage than the entire history of drones and RC modeling in the U.K. combined.

Reactions: Dr. Fibinotchi

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool