Inspire 2 battery management best practices

SMD

Reaction score
I have an I2 but due to work travel it's sitting back at my home still in the box never flown. Talk about torture, lol. Anyhow, I've been reading a lot of threads and I'm surprised by the way some are managing their batteries. Granted I haven't read the owner's manual (yet) but my initial plan is to use the batteries in the same way I've used batteries on my P3P.

Cycles 1-10 use the batteries down to 50%
Cycles 11-20 use the batteries down to 30%
Every 20 cycles discharge to 8%
Then typically use the batteries down to 30% and do the 8% deep discharge every 20 cycles.

More or less this seemed to be the rule of thumb used by many owners I know and it served me well. I'm surprised to see owners report of flying down to 15%. Unless there's new guidelines I would suspect that would decrease the battery life. Thoughts?

Simply use 'em. The intelligent battery power management systems seem to be a lot better than systems older than the P4 behaved.

In terms of management, I've flown my I2 from 100% down to 20% for the first few flight, and more laterly down to 15%. Mainly due to cooler and windier weather - I prefer to have some reserve left at landing in case it proves difficult because of wind. Also I'm being kinder on the batteries in colder weather. I've once tried discharging to below 10%, and the aircraft (which was on the ground) shut down the rotors at 10%.

So, In terms of discharge, you'll have to force the aircraft to stay in the air to get it below 10% - if it'll let you. When running on the ground, the motors automatically shut down at 10%. If in the air, I think it'll have autolanded by 10% - both are to stop the battery's voltage going down towards 2V and being over discharged. That means if you want to go below 10%, you're going to have to sit with the aircraft powered up, but motors off for quite some time....

By the way, if you've just got the I2 and haven't opened it up and aren't going to fly it for some time, then you might want to look at getting someone to get the batteries out and charging them up to around 45-50% as they'll have been shipped at under 30% charge for safety. DJI specs show storage charge between 40% and 65%. With a full charge-discharge cycle every three months.

Thanks I just got 8 more batteries and haven't fooled with them . Throwing a little charge to them now