Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Insurance for Drones - Hobby/Homeowners

just an update.

My insurer has accepted to include my Inspire as part of my house and contents, I will be covered for Fire and Theft if the drone is in a locked building, but not when the drone is in action.

The premium is 150 NZD per annum. which is about 100USD per annum or 80EURO

Hello,

I am an aviation insurance broker. Currently, none of the aviation specific insurance companies are offering coverage for non-commercial use. There are now four of them that offer coverage for commercial operators (AIG Aerospace, Starr Aviation, Global Aerospace, and United States Specialty Insurance Company). Some of the companies require a FAA 333 Exemption and a pilots license. One of them does not require those items but only offer liability only. Their philosophy is that those requirements are between the operator and the FAA. The companies that offer "hull" and liability coverage generally require a pilot's license and the Exemption. As far as limits, I have written policies from $500K all the way up to $5M. If higher limits are needed, I am sure that can be negotiated. Aviation insurance does not work the same way as car insurance. You cannot go online and get a quote from a computer program. 90% of policies are submitted to an underwriter and negotiated on a case by case basis.

I recently read an article that stated their are now more registered UAVs in the US than manned aircraft. So, I anticipate that the aviation insurance companies will eventually offer coverage for non-commercial UAV operators. 325,000 registered UAVs in the US is too big of a market to be ignored.

Joe

Basic 1m PL insurance only (no hull) can be had for between 400 and 500. Hull insurances can add around 300 to that. These are very rough prices, and could well vary from when I last investigated, so your individual requirements may vary so get on to the insurers for a quote. You can only get commercial insurance if you have or are in training for a PFAW.
Thank you for the reply.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide