Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

iPad Pro 9.7 in. or iPad mini 4.....7.9in?

The biggest issue over the last two months is the during flight, the GO4 app completely locks up and forces you to get the aircraft back using either the RTH button on the controller, or to fly home using the controller. On some shoots, especially at distances, this has caused me much grief. I fly over water a great deal right now and on several occasions have thought my drone was lost.

DJI support has been unable to identify and resolve the problem. Their are quite a few threads on this issue, so I know I am not alone... No one seems to know if it is a HW problem or a GO4 app problem, but either way, the only way to recover is get the drone back, power everything down, and then restart everything.

The issue has made flying extremely stressful of late!!
ah dang thanks for the info

The biggest issue over the last two months is the during flight, the GO4 app completely locks up and forces you to get the aircraft back using either the RTH button on the controller, or to fly home using the controller. On some shoots, especially at distances, this has caused me much grief. I fly over water a great deal right now and on several occasions have thought my drone was lost.

DJI support has been unable to identify and resolve the problem. Their are quite a few threads on this issue, so I know I am not alone... No one seems to know if it is a HW problem or a GO4 app problem, but either way, the only way to recover is get the drone back, power everything down, and then restart everything.

Appreciate the info on the CrystalSky, I see you have the Ultra Bright too.
I was considering the same model & size more so for the bright screen, but questioned the flexibility using apps. Knew several Apps only supported iOS, but was reading up on the new CrystalSky FW that allowed 3rd party apps; which renewed the interest.
Had decided to wait a bit and see where the CrystalSky UB goes, and looks like I'll continue to do that for now.

Short note on the iPad mini 4, this is the newest & hasn't been a processor update since the 4 using the A8 processor. I have the cellular Mini4, love the size in a mavmount. I tried the Mavic's mount arms but it's more targeted on the cellular phones... the Mini4 isn't just a tight fit but a little in the way compared to the mavmount. Works great with the Inspire mount... although in comparison to using an iPad with a A9 you can defiantly feel the drag in performance. With the price being about the same as the new 2018 iPad with A10 & faster Graphic Processor I'd consider the new iPad. I'd really like to see a new iPad Mini5 with A10, faster graphics & twice the brightness.... but I doubt that will happen.

Appreciate the info on the CrystalSky, I see you have the Ultra Bright too.
I was considering the same model & size more so for the bright screen, but questioned the flexibility using apps. Knew several Apps only supported iOS, but was reading up on the new CrystalSky FW that allowed 3rd party apps; which renewed the interest.
Had decided to wait a bit and see where the CrystalSky UB goes, and looks like I'll continue to do that for now.

Short note on the iPad mini 4, this is the newest & hasn't been a processor update since the 4 using the A8 processor. I have the cellular Mini4, love the size in a mavmount. I tried the Mavic's mount arms but it's more targeted on the cellular phones... the Mini4 isn't just a tight fit but a little in the way compared to the mavmount. Works great with the Inspire mount... although in comparison to using an iPad with a A9 you can defiantly feel the drag in performance. With the price being about the same as the new 2018 iPad with A10 & faster Graphic Processor I'd consider the new iPad. I'd really like to see a new iPad Mini5 with A10, faster graphics & twice the brightness.... but I doubt that will happen.
My two cents: I went round and round about what to buy - eventually got an iPad Pro with 256G of storage. Part of my thinking was I'm going to have this around for awhile so getting the best, when amortized over years, doesn't cost much more. One benefit of the 10.5" one is that the controls and outputs on the screen are actually bigger, making flying easier.

I love the concept of the Crystal Sky, which is obviously why I bought it. The display is beautiful and bright, but at this point in time it is a somewhat crippled device. It was a big enough investment that I want it to work, but am not holding my breadth at this point. I may pick up a new IPad Mini as a backup unit for the near future.

Oh man, I'm reading all the previous comments in this thread and thinking the whole time, Just get Crystal Sky because not being able to see in direct daylight is kind of a pain. After reading your comment about Crystal Sky has me rethinking that totally. What is the use of being able to see in direct sunlight if the app is just going to crash. I too fly over water a bunch, and I was seriously ready to pull the trigger on a Crystal Sky rig, but not anymore. I'm all ios as it is right now with my phones, and tablets, and if the Crystal Sky monitor can't provide a app crash free experience.... well for me that is a total deal breaker. Glad I read this before making any purchases. Now I'm back to thinking I want the large iPad pro and combine that with my tripod. It won't work for over water or mobile shoots, but I'll just use my other iPads for those.

Oh man, I'm reading all the previous comments in this thread and thinking the whole time, Just get Crystal Sky because not being able to see in direct daylight is kind of a pain. After reading your comment about Crystal Sky has me rethinking that totally. What is the use of being able to see in direct sunlight if the app is just going to crash. I too fly over water a bunch, and I was seriously ready to pull the trigger on a Crystal Sky rig, but not anymore. I'm all ios as it is right now with my phones, and tablets, and if the Crystal Sky monitor can't provide a app crash free experience.... well for me that is a total deal breaker. Glad I read this before making any purchases. Now I'm back to thinking I want the large iPad pro and combine that with my tripod. It won't work for over water or mobile shoots, but I'll just use my other iPads for those.
I wish I could tell you it was just me, but I have been trying to solve this problem for two months and their are multiple people that are having the same problem. The display is beautiful and so easy to read in the sunlight, but let me tell you, the pucker factor that occurs when things lock up and you are flying blind is just not any fun. The other night it happened with a customer right beside me and that is when I realized that if I can’t get this to be reliable, I cant use this for my business.

DJI support has given me one more thing to try, and if that does not work, I am dumping the unit. I just cant fly with that risk, and other than brightness, I don’t hear of any real iOS issues.

Good luck,

Glenn

I wish I could tell you it was just me, but I have been trying to solve this problem for two months and their are multiple people that are having the same problem. The display is beautiful and so easy to read in the sunlight, but let me tell you, the pucker factor that occurs when things lock up and you are flying blind is just not any fun. The other night it happened with a customer right beside me and that is when I realized that if I can’t get this to be reliable, I cant use this for my business.

DJI support has given me one more thing to try, and if that does not work, I am dumping the unit. I just cant fly with that risk, and other than brightness, I don’t hear of any real iOS issues.

Good luck,

Glenn
Exactly, I totally hear you on that. I too was like ehh the device is built on android, but figured well it is locked down android, so it should be better than other android devices. I have heard many time before that the go apps on droid just don't work as well as ios version. I think DJI develops first for apple, and maybe it is just ported to droid from there, but I swear I think I may have only ever had one app crash in all the flight I have done with apple devices. I found not having older ipads or iphones made a difference, but that could all just be in my head.

Either way I'm backing off the Crystal Sky Monitor. I'll just continue to use the phone, and ipads I currently have, and maybe once the newest large ipad pro gets announced update to that bad boy.

I have several Android devices and DJI Go has never worked as intended on these other than my Galaxy S6. But who wants to fly with that tiny screen? I'd given up all hope on successfully using Android. So the only way for me to fly the Inspire 1 without issue was to buy an iPad. I'm not an iPad guy but this literally became my only option. And it has flown without an issue (so far).

The DJI support team appears foreign. Is this expensive drone made in China?

Reactions: Glennc63
I head you can crack and chip your iPad mini putting it in that way.... I was thinking of getting an attachment for my remote to put whatever iPod I decide on getting.
Yes, you’re correct . You’re better off buying the adapter holder on amazon

I do not use any external Apps on my Ultra Bright..... Never had any crash issues with the DJI Apps.... For me the screen brightness is amazing. Far and away the number one reason to spend the extra bucks. iPads are pretty much useless in bright sunlight.... Most hoods do not work well and are a PITA! NO issues, even in direct sunlight with the CS. I just added a non glare protector to mine and it works as advertised.

I’ve considered getting a Crystal Sky, but have held off because of issues others have had. I’m currently using an iPad Pro 10.5. It is great having the big screen and I also use it for photo and video editing. I had to get an adapter for it to fit on my remote, but I love it. The only downside is there isn’t a sunshade for it so I’m making my own. That being said I enjoy creating things and it really isn’t a big deal.

i too thought about the CS but then again theres more involved into it beside just the cost at first, the batteries and charger, and what ever else would need to be added into the drone kit when you go off flying. then you read of the troubles people are having with em. me id be kinda pissed to drop that much cash on a screen and have issues. plus also with a tablet is can be used for other stuff if you purchase a different tablet to use. with the CS you pretty much screwed with just drone use

plus my Tab S2 8in has been working fine with no issues

Help me out people!
Which iPad should I get for my Mavic Pro?
Should I get the iPad Pro 9.7 in. or iPad mini 4.....7.9in?
I have used the iPad mini 4 with my Mavic Pro from day one (I brought it when they first came out in Australia) and it works seamlessly I also have the iPad Pro 9.7” for my Inspire 1pro and Inspire 2 and it works perfectly with them, if you buy the 9.7 you will need a some sort of adaptor for it to fit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan