Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is the new Laowa 10mm f/2 compatible with X5S?

So, what is your experience?
I've done only a little testing so far. The lens mounts on the x5s with some difficulty, have to turn it with moderate force, which is weird because it mounts on my Olympus camera normally. Like the 7.5 mm, it is manual focus. The aperture is controlled by the app, which also recognizes the lens correctly. It balances well with the provided lens shade. If you add a filter, it will need some counterbalancing weight on the rear of the camera.

I've made one test flight including a video and some stills. The video is tack sharp, with no distortion or vignetting. Can't say the same for the stills (shutter speed was set at 1/1000 and 1/2000), but I'm a retired professional photographer and have a high standard for any lens that I own.

Not yet finished with testing, may add more comments later.

It balances well with the provided lens shade.
Correcting an erroneous item in my earlier post...

The lens shade doesn't provide sufficient weight for balancing the Laowa 10mm lens on the x5s camera.
To properly balance, I stacked three step-up rings, a 46-58mm, a 58-62mm and a 62-67mm. Together they provide the correct amount of weight to balance the lens, plus they shade the lens in the vertical direction so that it matches the stock lens shade. The shading provided in the horizontal is lower than that provided by the stock lens shade. There is no vignetting in any corner.

Apologies for the error.

Now, after performing some more lens tests, I have noted a problem related to the manual focus scale on the lens barrel, which has been mentioned in other posts. Suffice it to say at this time, it's inaccurate. Will continue testing...

One Pro Optic slim uv filter was all I needed for balance. I don’t have my scale here at the moment to provide a weight.

Reactions: rbycapri
I've done only a little testing so far. The lens mounts on the x5s with some difficulty, have to turn it with moderate force, which is weird because it mounts on my Olympus camera normally. Like the 7.5 mm, it is manual focus. The aperture is controlled by the app, which also recognizes the lens correctly. It balances well with the provided lens shade. If you add a filter, it will need some counterbalancing weight on the rear of the camera.

I've made one test flight including a video and some stills. The video is tack sharp, with no distortion or vignetting. Can't say the same for the stills (shutter speed was set at 1/1000 and 1/2000), but I'm a retired professional photographer and have a high standard for any lens that I own.

Not yet finished with testing, may add more comments later.

I have not been able to control aperture via the App, and I believe it is up to date. Can you verify which version of the app you’re using, and whether or not you’ve been able to adjust the aperture and have it stick? As soon as I select aperture, it slides automatically back to f/2 (in full manual mode).

Any solutions/feedback from others also welcome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonengo Brian