Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Motor rattle

Reaction score
Website
www.lancekoudele.com
I recently did a motor inspection. On one of my motors there is a distinct rattle when turned with my fingers. Any tips on how to take care of this? I don't think I'll be flying it till this is taken care of.
=(

I recently did a motor inspection. On one of my motors there is a distinct rattle when turned with my fingers. Any tips on how to take care of this? I don't think I'll be flying it till this is taken care of.
=(

Being their seal bearings there not much you can do but maybe blow some compressed air into the motors, if that doesn't cure it I would count DJI customer service and see what they say, they will probably will tell you to send it in. I would fly it either last thing you want is to crash your bird.

=(
You can open up the offending motor and see if one of the magnets has come loose from its binding or its possible bearing needs replacing.
Remove the motor by taking out the four (two each side) just below the motor.
Then (carefully) remove the e-clip and thrust washer. The motor will now come apart. You will then be able to fully inspect the bell housing and individual motor components or replace the bearings if needed.

You can open up the offending motor and see if one of the magnets has come loose from its binding or its possible bearing needs replacing.
Remove the motor by taking out the four (two each side) just below the motor.
Then (carefully) remove the e-clip and thrust washer. The motor will now come apart. You will then be able to fully inspect the bell housing and individual motor components or replace the bearings if needed.

Where can the OP find or buy Bearings at? also if the OP dose this and finds an issue he will void his warranty! just saying, I totally endorse what you wrote but as long as the OP know what he or she is getting in to.

Reactions: Lance K
Where can the OP find or buy Bearings at? also if the OP dose this and finds an issue he will void his warranty! just saying, I totally endorse what you wrote but as long as the OP know what he or she is getting in to.
Thats a very valid point regarding warranty. Sorry, I forget sometimes since I have been building, maintaining and repairing my own aircraft for years.
Yes, if you do open anything up then obviously the DJI warranty will be void so you do anything like this at your own risk. If you are not comfortable working on your own machine then it is always best to send it in.
With regards to the bearings in the motors they are nothing special and are standard sized 6852Z Metal Shielded bearings available pretty much anywhere on the planet! They can also be known as 685ZZ or 6852ZR
Standard dia: 5/11/5 (Bore 5mm, OD 11mm Width 5mm). In fact, if you replace them with ceramic versions they will be of higher spec than the ones DJI fit at manufacture!
Please note, as I have explained before on this forum, I do not work or have any affiliation with either DJI or any of its subsidiaries nor do I receive any payment, incentive or otherwise for recommending anything DJI.
Any advice I give is gathered from my nearly 30 years RC experience of designing, building, flying, crashing and repairing anything radio controlled.
Hope that clarifies things........ And do be careful if you decide to go the route of opening up the Inspire yourself.

Thats a very valid point regarding warranty. Sorry, I forget sometimes since I have been building, maintaining and repairing my own aircraft for years.
Yes, if you do open anything up then obviously the DJI warranty will be void so you do anything like this at your own risk. If you are not comfortable working on your own machine then it is always best to send it in.
With regards to the bearings in the motors they are nothing special and are standard sized 6852Z Metal Shielded bearings available pretty much anywhere on the planet! They can also be known as 685ZZ or 6852ZR
Standard dia: 5/11/5 (Bore 5mm, OD 11mm Width 5mm). In fact, if you replace them with ceramic versions they will be of higher spec than the ones DJI fit at manufacture!
Please note, as I have explained before on this forum, I do not work or have any affiliation with either DJI or any of its subsidiaries nor do I receive any payment, incentive or otherwise for recommending anything DJI.
Any advice I give is gathered from my nearly 30 years RC experience of designing, building, flying, crashing and repairing anything radio controlled.
Hope that clarifies things........ And do be careful if you decide to go the route of opening up the Inspire yourself.

All great words of advice: Thank you for sharing the info on the bearings, most people have to know if they send in their bird for warranty they have to expect for their unit to be gone for over 6 weeks if not longer. I truly appreciate the advice and the knowledge you offered. I myself am mechanically inclined to do all repairs but I hate the idea if DJI has sold a faultily product they should pay for their repair. I don't have nearly close to the number of years of R/C as you do but I am pretty old in the R/C days of flying wings back in the late 70's since my family was poor I had to sweep porches and cut lawns to fund my hobby, I too have no affiliation with DJI.
Happy 4th to you and all Members here in the forum

Last edited:
Reactions: The Editor
Thanks for the advice! I would love to send this back to DJI and have them fix the issue but it sounds like they are very slow in the repair warranty area. Hopefully I'll hear back from them tomorrow... I do have some film work coming up and I can't be without my INSPIRE so I'll likely open her up and take a peek. Thanks for the tips!

Thanks for the advice! I would love to send this back to DJI and have them fix the issue but it sounds like they are very slow in the repair warranty area. Hopefully I'll hear back from them tomorrow... I do have some film work coming up and I can't be without my INSPIRE so I'll likely open her up and take a peek. Thanks for the tips!

I hope its something simple, good luck, Tahoe Ed had reports LA repair center had been working at a faster speed on getting repairs out, so I thought I would throw that in in case you have to send it in for repairs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207