Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Olympus 14-42mm "Pancake" Need Balancing?

Reaction score
Do I need to use a balancing ring to help balance the 14-42mm pancake style Olympus zoom lens on the X5S? Or is it ready to go out of the box?

Thanks,

I've searched and found rings are needed for the Panasonic 14-42.

And also saw rings needed for the X5 camera.

But I haven't found any definite evidence the 14-42mm Olympus on the X5S needs balancing.

Appreciate the help.

This I'm guessing the Oly about same weight as the Panasonic, but here's a simple solution. The lens very light so the weight has to be on the front of lens; purchase a set of filter/adapter rings on Amazon . . . they make a great balancing ring as you add/subtract rings. Here's a pic to help as this is the set-up on my X5s Also serves as a lens hood, nicely.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 9.01.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 9.01.55 AM.png
    294.2 KB · Views: 50
Great idea jpalamaro! The Oly 14-42 definitely needs front weight. Without any the lens even when extended seems to make the gimbal back heavy and puts unnecessary strain, I would think, on the motors.

Thanks for the replys. I'll pick up some front stabilization options here.

We have used 3-axis ground stabilizers for years, so I'm familiar and comfortable with the stabilization process. It is very important.

Appreciate the help.

I have found the pancake lens to be terrible in its resolution.
Think of it as a utility lens as its strengths IMO are in its versatility not as a quality lens. And while my reply smacks of an elitist attitude my X5S as a platform does yeoman service in getting a camera where I cannot get one normally, quality even with prime lens mediocre at best compared to my Nikons or Sonys.

This lens creates a squealing noise for about 5 seconds upon startup. With, or without a balancing ring on the front. And even after the gimbal is calibrated.

No other lens does this on my X5S.

Any others have this happen?

This lens creates a squealing noise for about 5 seconds upon startup. With, or without a balancing ring on the front. And even after the gimbal is calibrated.

No other lens does this on my X5S.

Any others have this happen?
This would seem to me it’s not the X5s/gimbal but the lens making the noise since not happening on other lenses.

This would seem to me it’s not the X5s/gimbal but the lens making the noise since not happening on other lenses.
I have done some more research with others who own this lens. It seems to be the norm, as it does it upon startup on all of theirs as well.

Must be the zoom factor.

Ok so very sorry to dig this one up, but I got an odd issue that is like many posts above.
Got the oly 14-42 and put it on X5S, if unbalanced it makes no noise at all, even on startup.
If it's perfectly balanced, or balanced in any way, on startup it produces this awful mechanical grinding noise.
Surely it should be making less noise if balanced?

Seems to be the "norm" from what I've found. Happens to at least 3 other M210's or I2's with the X5s I know.
I have this same effect on mine. I have X5 on my Inspire 1 with original balancing ring from DJI and when i put it on it has this grinding noise on startup then it calibrates then it like shuts off and drops and recovers. I put my hand on the gimbal and felt that its back portion its shaking.
When i remove balancing ring everything seems normal and quiet.
So You tell me this is normal and should i use it and dont worry ?

I have this same effect on mine. I have X5 on my Inspire 1 with original balancing ring from DJI and when i put it on it has this grinding noise on startup then it calibrates then it like shuts off and drops and recovers. I put my hand on the gimbal and felt that its back portion its shaking.
When i remove balancing ring everything seems normal and quiet.
So You tell me this is normal and should i use it and dont worry ?
Exactly same here, and the lens shakes only when it is at 14mm.... trying to figure out whats up with it. When the lens is on an Olympus camera, its just fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207