Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Osmo App for the PC (Mac)

Reaction score
I would like to be able to use my Osmo for live broadcasts via FB and whatever while interfacing through and using the pipe resources afforded to my PC. It seems to me to be a logical application for the technology yet seems to be unavailable. Does anybody know what gives? It seems so obvious of an application like I said. Why hasn't DJI done this and even at that, why hasn't some third party picked up on it and developed something available in the Windows Store?

Apparently there's something out there or I've missed something obvious?

What are pipe resources?

Internet. I want to use the wired network resources on my PC instead of having to use the CELL DATA on my cellular device. Right now, since the Osmo connects via WiFi, that means the only way to the net is to use cell data to get there (with the store apps). There's gotta be a better/cheaper way when doing live feeds from fixed points.

Reactions: SanCap
Internet. I want to use the wired network resources on my PC instead of having to use the CELL DATA on my cellular device. Right now, since the Osmo connects via WiFi, that means the only way to the net is to use cell data to get there (with the store apps). There's gotta be a better/cheaper way when doing live feeds from fixed points.

Could you use apples airplay and send the data from the osmo to an apple tv box then connect apple tv to your computer?

Could you use apples airplay and send the data from the osmo to an apple tv box then connect apple tv to your computer?

You're way over complicating this and what you said wouldn't work anyway, I don't think. I can't come up with a scenario that would work like that.

You're way over complicating this and what you said wouldn't work anyway, I don't think. I can't come up with a scenario that would work like that.
Not complicated at all! I have piped the Osmo output via Airplay to Apple TV and out through a monitor. It does work. If you have not tried it how can you say it wouldn't work? If you don't believe me that's fine but you can't say it doesn't work.

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Not complicated at all! I have piped the Osmo output via Airplay to Apple TV and out through a monitor. It does work. If you have not tried it how can you say it wouldn't work? If you don't believe me that's fine but you can't say it doesn't work.

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

And that helps me use Osmo to do a live broadcast to the net how, exactly? You missed the entire point. I'm not trying to get it to a (LOCALLY attached) TV!

Last edited:
And that helps me use Osmo to do a live broadcast to the net how, exactly? You missed the entire point. I'm not trying to get it to a (LOCALLY attached) TV!
Sorry Wilson, I just picked up the live feed bit. I just strung this through apple TV and into a Video Mixer desk and gave a live feed on the video projector. Never done live feed to the web...I'll stick to mapping I think :)

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

NP. Didn't mean to get testy. I'm frustrated because what I Want should be out there. FROM DJI!

Actually, wouldn't your method have all the Osmo app stuff on-screen? That kind of defeats the purpose of a live feed to broadcast.

I can get a live feed. I could use your method to get to an HDMI capture board or USB device and do it. I'm just trying to avoid all kinds of variables, plus I don't want the app on-screen too.

A PC app ought to be obvious. Most modern laptops have wired and wireless connections. Some desktops do also. This really ought to be a no-brainer for DJI. The core is already written anyway. Why not just port it?

Granted, I could buy a nice webcam or use any number of other solutions (like a HDMI capture device as I noted above + almost any of my DSLR's), but it's the principle of the thing to me. There's simply no way this device shouldn't function in this way.

NP. Didn't mean to get testy. I'm frustrated because what I Want should be out there. FROM DJI!

Actually, wouldn't your method have all the Osmo app stuff on-screen? That kind of defeats the purpose of a live feed to broadcast.

I can get a live feed. I could use your method to get to an HDMI capture board or USB device and do it. I'm just trying to avoid all kinds of variables, plus I don't want the app on-screen too.

A PC app ought to be obvious. Most modern laptops have wired and wireless connections. Some desktops do also. This really ought to be a no-brainer for DJI. The core is already written anyway. Why not just port it?

Granted, I could buy a nice webcam or use any number of other solutions (like a HDMI capture device as I noted above + almost any of my DSLR's), but it's the principle of the thing to me. There's simply no way this device shouldn't function in this way.

In the Osmo settings you can switch all the app screen stuff off...I know, it's half baked! It was handy to walk around the auditorium though and wirelessly stream to the main screen.

Holder of CAA PFAW
BNUS-S Certified Pilot

But even that would still be limited to 720p. Maybe we're splitting hairs, but that wouldn't give us the full capabilities on-screen of the camera itself.

So I've been looking along these lines for myself recently. And found a partial solution. With the Osmo+ livestream to custom RTMP server I've setup a way to livestream without the need for internet or cellular. Its kind of round about way but works quite well. Osmo+ setup and using iPhone to control it. Then have my Macbook Pro also connect to Osmo wifi. On my Macbook I'm running a Ngix server with RTMP server setup. I set the Macbook wifi IP as the livestream server in the GO app. Then I have the Macbook wired connection hooked into my network and I'm free to use the RTMP source in anyway I want. Currently just opening it up in VLC on other computers in the network, but I could set it as an input source on OBS Studio if needed. My original reason for trying this was need to livestream an event to another building in a location with little to no cellular or internet service in order to accommodate a larger amount of people. This would work fine for a webcam as well.

Now that its all working, I have notices that the stream feed output from the Osmo+ seems to be 720p only. Is it not possible to get a 1080p or higher stream out of the Osmo?

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry