Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Over Discharging TB50 Batteries

Although DJI do not mention periodically discharging a pack to LVC it is still advisable/necessary to get a more accurate fuel gauge percentage readout (if that’s what you fly by).

Yes, this is completely consistent with other posts on this general topic, and matches my understanding of the rationale. I appreciate you repeating it here.

I was actually quite surprised to find that the I2 manual's section on Battery use and maintenance said nothing about deep discharges, and I had hoped that some great new advance in battery power management had been made. Oh well.

Based on prior posts in this thread relating to LVC and flying as long as possible to deplete the battery, I feel it may be useful to quote what the I2 manual has to say about these things for those who might not have read it. From Page 29:

7. Over Discharge Protection: Over-discharging can seriously damage the battery. Current output will be cut off when the battery cell is discharged to 2.8V and not in flight mode. To extend flight times, over-charging protection is disabled as batteries discharge during flight. In this instance, a battery voltage below 2V, may cause a safety hazard such as a fire when charged. To prevent this, the battery will not be able to charge if the voltage of a single battery cell is below 2V. Avoid using any batteries matching this description. Always be alert to avoid serious over-discharging to prevent permanent battery damage.​

The emphasis on "and not in flight mode" above is mine. And I interpret the sentence "to extend flight times, over-charging protection is disabled" to be a typo that's really supposed to say that over discharge protection is disable. So, bottom line is that you really don't want to fly for as long as possible, as you run the risk of running the batteries down too far. Only deep discharge when not flying, so that the battery's built in protection will be in force.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsmithp486