Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Patch antenna wobbly in the hinge

Reaction score
I've noticed that my patch antenna has developed a bit of slack in the pivot hinge. Before the friction engages, it rattles a bit, maybe half of an inch up and down. There are these caps on both sides which I suspect hide the screws but I am not sure how to remove then without damaging them. Anyone with an idea??

Attachments

• 20180522_152541.jpg
    20180522_152541.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 16
MM,
I just took a look and I have to say, it is a head scratcher. Even if you remove the two screws that attach the sub bracket to the Cendence main bracket, it still looks like this was a pressed in fitting or a pressed in cap to cover a screw behind it.
Incidentally, I have about 1/4" of play at the outside edge of my patch antenna, but the hinge friction is very good.

MM,
I just took a look and I have to say, it is a head scratcher. Even if you remove the two screws that attach the sub bracket to the Cendence main bracket, it still looks like this was a pressed in fitting or a pressed in cap to cover a screw behind it.
Incidentally, I have about 1/4" of play at the outside edge of my patch antenna, but the hinge friction is very good.
Yeah I know it is a head scratcher. The caps look like they are not meant to be removed... I tried to stick a selfadhesive tape to them but no luck. My patch has a good half inch play at the end. If it does not get worse I might just live with it, that is if I can't get to the screws.

Yeah I know it is a head scratcher. The caps look like they are not meant to be removed... I tried to stick a selfadhesive tape to them but no luck. My patch has a good half inch play at the end. If it does not get worse I might just live with it, that is if I can't get to the screws.
Take the cover off the antenna unit and you see how it is secured.

Take the cover off the antenna unit and you see how it is secured.
I've done that and can see the two locknuts inside. But I can not see how I could possibly tighten them, as there is not much room there and access is limited. I would have to disassemble the the electronics, the PC boards etc but even than I am not sure if I could tighten them from inside. Have you had a simillar problem and fixed it?

LOL, I meant a photo of the internals after you opened it. But I do see what you mean. It is only a little more than what I am seeing on mine.

LOL, I meant a photo of the internals after you opened it. But I do see what you mean. It is only a little more than what I am seeing on mine.

I thought that the internals were what you wanted to see LOL. But it is actually very easy to describe. The flat part of the patch which makes the hinge in between the metal bracket is hollow inside and what you see there are two locknuts, one on either side. But the hollow space barely accommodates the locknuts, so I can't imagine any possibility how to tighten them. No room for any spanner or even pliers to hold and turn the locknuts. Maybe a socket on 90 deg handle?? Plus I am not sure if the metal plugs or cups are the actual screws pressed into the bracket or if they only cover the head of a screw inside which is turnig together with the locknut. Anyway, I might just leave it for now and if it gets worse I will put more thought into it..

I thought that the internals were what you wanted to see LOL. But it is actually very easy to describe. The flat part of the patch which makes the hinge in between the metal bracket is hollow inside and what you see there are two locknuts, one on either side. But the hollow space barely accommodates the locknuts, so I can't imagine any possibility how to tighten them. No room for any spanner or even pliers to hold and turn the locknuts. Maybe a socket on 90 deg handle?? Plus I am not sure if the metal plugs or cups are the actual screws pressed into the bracket or if they only cover the head of a screw inside which is turnig together with the locknut. Anyway, I might just leave it for now and if it gets worse I will put more thought into it..
Problem solved. There are two black screws which support the patch on the hinge. They are actually in between the metal brackets. They were both loose. I applied Locktite on them and tightened them really hard and the wobble has disappeared.

Last edited:
Reactions: marctronixx
That’s great. Did you snap a picture of them? When I removed the 4 panel screws, the cover panel did not release. I didn’t want to apply too muc force. Would love to see what the inside looks like.

That’s great. Did you snap a picture of them? When I removed the 4 panel screws, the cover panel did not release. I didn’t want to apply too muc force. Would love to see what the inside looks like.
The two screws I am talking about are outside! No need to open the covers at all. Just unscrew the two screws holding the patch to Cendence, pull it away from the Cendence and they are there for you to see, inside the U channel which slides on the handle. Two small black screws witch require star screwdriver bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: marctronixx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207