Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Payload weight

Reaction score
Website
www.pageforestry.co.uk
Hi all,

I have an Inspire Pro that I use for mapping, and I need a wider FOV than the standard lens gives.

I've therefore acquired an Olympus M Zukio 9 to 18mm zoom lens which gives a FOV of 100 degrees to 62 degrees.

Elsewhere on the forum someone says that it won't balance, but there is a video of an Australian who balanced a Panasonic Zoom lens successfully, so I intend to use his method of moulding lead counterweights to balance the Zukio. I think it will work.

However using blu tack and £1 coins to balance the lens in the meantime I reckon the all up weight of the balanced Zukio will be 212 grams (153g for the lens plus 59g for the balancing weights).

What is the view of the forum? Is this too much for the Inspire Pro? I've seen someone state in a lens list that one should not exceed 156g.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Mark

Hi all,

I have an Inspire Pro that I use for mapping, and I need a wider FOV than the standard lens gives.

I've therefore acquired an Olympus M Zukio 9 to 18mm zoom lens which gives a FOV of 100 degrees to 62 degrees.

Elsewhere on the forum someone says that it won't balance, but there is a video of an Australian who balanced a Panasonic Zoom lens successfully, so I intend to use his method of moulding lead counterweights to balance the Zukio. I think it will work.

However using blu tack and £1 coins to balance the lens in the meantime I reckon the all up weight of the balanced Zukio will be 212 grams (153g for the lens plus 59g for the balancing weights).

What is the view of the forum? Is this too much for the Inspire Pro? I've seen someone state in a lens list that one should not exceed 156g.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Mark
The Inspire Pro will happily lift that weight of payload (although depending on your quoted MTOM in your ops manual you made need to make an amendment?)
You will obviously see some reduced flight times when adding additional mass.
The question would be, although the gimbal will be statically balanced (when you have finished experimenting with the weights etc) will the gimbal motors be happy dealing with the extra inertia of moving, breaking and stabilising the additional mass that lens will have.
I'm afraid it would be a case of try it and see.
If the gimbal senses an overload situation it will throw out an error message on the app.

Hi,

I've spent the afternoon moulding weights for the rear of the final and the tilt motor.

Although not perfectly balanced the rear takes 36g and the tilt motor took 22g. I've held them on with Velcro. I've operated the machine indoors simulating a very rough flight and there has been no messages via GO that indicates the final motors are under strain. So I think the Zukio 9 - 18mm lens is a goer! Of course I haven't tested it flying, which I'll do tomorrow and once I've done so I'll post initial impressions. If I can fathom out how to I'll post photos of the weights in situ.

Cheers

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Can you offset the rear weight to one side so it also contributes to the lateral weight. Saving you putting so much extra on the side?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Yes mikeL, I have done so...
5bdae31f7738efebf1c2603163be6b76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Reactions: mikeL
Hi,

I flew this afternoon for 10 or 12 minutes using a TB 47 battery. Air temperature was 10 or 11c and virtually dead calm. I got several 'Motor overloaded - aircraft to decelerate' messages most especially when I was climbing.

Nevertheless the gimbal motors were cold to the touch when I landed, so I don't think they were working hard.

I guess the 59 extra grams have made a difference - the flight time was shorter too.

Any thoughts? Editor?

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_4613.JPG
    IMG_4613.JPG
    507.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4614.JPG
    IMG_4614.JPG
    560.1 KB · Views: 26
Hi,

I'm learning to like this lens.

The Go app controls the focus and aperture. The machine doesn't seem to dislike the extra weight. All in all it seems that this lens is a goer...

Here's an image from this afternoon. I was undertaking a woodland assessment, and I just took a few photo's of the surrounding countryside - this one taken towards the sun on a hazy frosty day. This is at 18mm and f8.0.

Cheers

Mark

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxtimber