Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK PFAW Changes Coming ?

Reaction score
Hi Folk's i have been holding off for my PFAW as i have been to busy with other projects but its coming towards the time I'm ready, iv heard rumores of changes coming for I1/P3 category ?

Anyone got any ideas of whats proposed and when ?, was talking with Resource group and they were pretty keen for me to go ahead asap but an insurance advisor told me to hold back if i can.

tbh iv been out the loop with this specifically for a few months so need some guidance

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Folk's i have been holding off for my PFAW as i have been to busy with other projects but its coming towards the time I'm ready, iv heard rumores of changes coming for I1/P3 category ?

Anyone got any ideas of whats proposed and when ?, was talking with Resource group and they were pretty keen for me to go ahead asap but an insurance advisor told me to hold back if i can.

tbh iv been out the loop with this specifically for a few months so need some guidance

Yes there are few things mooted but a decision has yet to be made regarding weight category. The CAA has not decided yet whether to scrap the sub 7kg limit and make it sub 5kg (wont make any difference to Inspire whether loaded with X5 or X3). That lower class will then have fewer restrictions imposed for PFAW holders enabling better and less restrictive urban operations. Being able to fly over built up areas etc.

The 166/7 restrictions will remain for non PFAW holders and hobbiest flyers.

Reactions: Scotflieger
Thank you for the reply, do you believe the process to obtain the licence will also become easier or remain the same just a lower weight category ?

Currently the training is up to 20kg I believe then you choose to pay one or the other, if you decide to go above 7kg I believe your still qualified to ?

Sorry my understanding on this subject is very limited,

Thank you

Thank you for the reply, do you believe the process to obtain the licence will also become easier or remain the same just a lower weight category ?

Currently the training is up to 20kg I believe then you choose to pay one or the other, if you decide to go above 7kg I believe your still qualified to ?

Sorry my understanding on this subject is very limited,

Thank you
No the training will remain the same: 2 days of ground school, followed by a written exam (around 75% mark), followed by writing an Ops manual which is approved then finally a flight assessment.
Currently categories are:
<7kg
7-20kg
Over 20kg

Any qualification in a higher category automatically entitles you to fly a lower weight UAV.

I hear what you are saying but this has been rumored for about a year now and still nothing has come of it....
I have no idea with regards to estimated time frame for this new legislation... it could be months or it could be years...
Depending on how patient or not you are, my advice would be to go ahead.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84