Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK PFAW renewal, flight hours

Reaction score
Quick question. With the changeable weather it hasn't been easy to get out recently. I have done simulator practice as a last resort (along with real flying whenever I can).

With the renewal and logbooks, is simulator time valid when you have no choice as well as real flights? I remember ages ago being told that it was fine as a last resort, but I can't find any references anywhere.

It's only real flights that the CAA would want to have fall back records of. Their perspective is safety which doesn't come into sim practice. You only have to show 2 months worth of flight at renewal anyway.

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Last edited:
Yes, they are after safety, but it states "Flight Time" hours. When I originally did the BNUC-S ground school, there was reference to sim flights being valid, but I wanted t double check. Does anyone here know for sure?

Yes, they are after safety, but it states "Flight Time" hours. When I originally did the BNUC-S ground school, there was reference to sim flights being valid, but I wanted t double check. Does anyone here know for sure?
Sorry I don't know for sure, only CAA could answer that I think. Flight time to me is time in the air not in a sim. I don't think manned pilots count time in a simulator as flight times. Just doesn't seem right to me. You should have no bother getting your real flight time hours up though even in our changeable weather. 2 hours every 3 months is not hard to hit!

EDIT: PS. That's less than 3x 15min flights a month. You would need to be doing a lot more than that to make having a PFAW worth while. Imo.

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Last edited:
Reactions: The Editor
2 hours every 3 months is not hard to hit!
It is when you are running a full time video production that isn't focussed solely on aerial video, and the local area has nowhere you can easily legally fly!

Anyway, I have checked directly with the CAA, and they told me.... that they didn't actually know themselves, but to err on the side of caution and only submit real flying hours.

It is when you are running a full time video production that isn't focussed solely on aerial video, and the local area has nowhere you can easily legally fly!

Anyway, I have checked directly with the CAA, and they told me.... that they didn't actually know themselves, but to err on the side of caution and only submit real flying hours.

I can't help you on the CAA rules, but perhaps I can help on where you can fly legally.

I am currently building time and experience on a UAV with a view to getting my PFAW at some point (I have been into RC fixed wing on and off for 20 years), so I spent quite a bit of time working out where to practise legally.

I live in west London, so you would think - no chance for anywhere local, but in fact I have two locations 15 minutes drive away. Both are local council sites in parks (google "model flying" plus the name of councils in your area). One is linked to being a member of a model flying club, but the other is not. A third site is maybe 20 mins away - in a Royal park with no restrictions and a fourth site is also available around 30 minutes away with no restrictions on a common. Not sure why councils have designated flying areas, perhaps it dates back to when the sport was more popular?.

I also joined a BMFA affiliated model flying club. Quite a few clubs were really sniffy about flying drones, but I did find one about 60 mins away with its own 7 day a week flying field that not only welcomed drones but also had an examiner for my BMFA A flight exam (still going to do ground school etc - but wanted to make sure I could actually fly the things before spending cash). One downside to this site is that I need my BMFA A cert before I can fly solo - but if you passed the flight test for your PFAW you should be able to get the A cert with ease on your first or second visit. It is basically just hovering (mostly tail in) and a few lazy figure 8s, plus some questions on the ANO related to model and UAV rules . The BMFA website has a club locator page - you would be surprised at how many model flying clubs there are out there.

My first post on the forum - been lurking for months but finally a thread where I could add value!

Reactions: roninsteel
Sorry I don't know for sure, only CAA could answer that I think. Flight time to me is time in the air not in a sim. I don't think manned pilots count time in a simulator as flight times. Just doesn't seem right to me. You should have no bother getting your real flight time hours up though even in our changeable weather. 2 hours every 3 months is not hard to hit!

EDIT: PS. That's less than 3x 15min flights a month. You would need to be doing a lot more than that to make having a PFAW worth while. Imo.

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Hi, I am trying to determine the minimum legal flying requirements for commercial pilots. So is the above (3x 15min / month) the legal minimum for the UK?
Flying will be a secondary role for our pilots so won't always be able to fly each week, regardless of weather conditions, so I want to state the legal minimum required per month within the OM.

TIA.

Hi, I am trying to determine the minimum legal flying requirements for commercial pilots. So is the above (3x 15min / month) the legal minimum for the UK?
Flying will be a secondary role for our pilots so won't always be able to fly each week, regardless of weather conditions, so I want to state the legal minimum required per month within the OM.

TIA.
Strictly speaking (and stupidly as far as the CAA are concerned) the only requirement is you must have obtained 2 hours flight time in the preceding two months prior to renewal.
So, in theory, someone could not fly at all all year and then do 2 hours flying the day before they send in their renewal SRG1320.
It's a rediculous 'rule'

Flying time/requirements do not need to go into an ops manual.

Strictly speaking (and stupidly as far as the CAA are concerned) the only requirement is you must have obtained 2 hours flight time in the preceding two months prior to renewal.
So, in theory, someone could not fly at all all year and then do 2 hours flying the day before they send in their renewal SRG1320.
It's a rediculous 'rule'

Flying time/requirements do not need to go into an ops manual.
Thanks for clarifying the unclarified LOL

Thanks very much for help.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin