Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Remote ID Vendors?

Reaction score
Website
www.personaldronerepair.com
Just sticking my toe in the water here.
Has any one heard any rumors of a company that will supply the add on Remote ID Module for grandfathered in drones?
I have not had my ear to the ground lately.
Decided to post this question here.
I may have missed it, but I did not see any info on this topic in the search results.

Reactions: Phil DeVore
Has any one heard any rumors of a company that will supply the add on Remote ID Module for grandfathered in drones?
I may have missed it, but I did not see any info on this topic in the search results.
The FAA still hasn’t released a coherent specification of what remote ID is in the first place so it’s still premature for there to be remote ID modules.

The FAA may be working with industry partners on making the specification but we haven’t heard anything new on this yet. We are still years away from this.

"Remote ID" would require a hardware upgrade. It's not a simple app add on. This is why legacy drones are grandfathered in.

D

Just to be clear legacy drones are not grandfathered in and will require that hardware upgrade come September 16, 2023
So what is the hardware to be installed? Who makes it? Where can I get it? Who installs it???

Let the Google machines run wild...

1625093995825.png

Well there ya go. Easy peasy....LOL....

Leave it to the FAA to require a technology "upgrade" that doesn't yet exist. But hey...we're all "gambling" that SOMEONE will manufacture it by 9/23....LOL...

Those FAA. What a bunch-a-guys....LOL....

D

So what is the hardware to be installed? Who makes it? Where can I get it? Who installs it???

Broadcast ID can be as easy as a firmware upgrade depending on the particular craft and the manufacturer's willingness. (DJI craft have had the ability for years) The FAA also says it can be an add-on module with a cost that the FAA suggests should be negligible. We can trust them, right?

The formerly suggested "network id" was a different can of worms. But that went away, for now.

Last edited:
The FAA hasn’t a clue. They don’t know what frequencies to use they suggested Wi-Fi but that wouldn’t really work so good and I’m sure the FCC would not like that one bit. It’s already overcrowded there.
They had this pipe dream that any phone could receive the signal but that’s so not gonna work.

Broadcast ID can be as easy as a firmware upgrade depending on the particular craft and the manufacturer's willingness. (DJI craft have had the ability for years) The FAA also says it can be an add-on module with a cost that the FAA suggests should be negligible. We can trust them, right?

The formerly suggested "network id" was a different can of worms. But that went away, for now.
Hmmmm....I'd have to see confirmation on that. I understand they transmit some cursory information (like and make and model), but I don't think they transmit any specific information. I'll have to research this.

D

Last edited:
Hey Donnie, I'll help you out. Happy 4th!

View attachment 31109

View attachment 31110

Just to be crystal clear for everyone the FAA has not approved this as a means of compliance for remote ID. To avoid confusion I refer to DJI’s system as “Aeroscope” so not to confuse it with the FAA’s remote ID.

In its current form, Aeroscope would not qualify under the FAA’s vision for remote ID because it requires specialized hardware to receive the broadcast and is only available to Government agencies or their agents. The FAA’s remote ID is required to be able to be received by the public on existing commonly used hardware, use as mobile phones.

Having said that, it’s possible DJI could issue firmware updates to make legacy aircraft compliant. However, I’m not holding my breath that DJI will actually do that for older models especially for discontinued models like the Inspire 1. Only time will tell

Having said that, it’s possible DJI could issue firmware updates to make legacy aircraft compliant. However, I’m not holding my breath that DJI will actually do that for older models especially for discontinued models like the Inspire 1. Only time will tell

That sounds familiar, Brett !

Oh yeah.. :)

Broadcast ID can be as easy as a firmware upgrade depending on the particular craft and the manufacturer's willingness.

Reactions: Brett8883

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wild2Game