Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Sending the Inspire 1 Pro Black Edition Back!

Reaction score
Ok... as much as I hate to do this, i have some (what i think) are serious problems with a machine i just paid over $4000.00 for... please let me know ...

When i received the Inspire 1 Pro Black (i'll just refer to it as the Inspire) i opened it up and many of the parts and pieces were strewn around the case, i realize things happen in shipping but it was missing a velcro that held the props in place, also the manual and some other pieces were all over the place, almost like someone shook the unit up or it wasn't packed right.

The camera is supposed to be assembled (per the instructions) and this camera already came assembled. I did not have to assemble it which seemed odd.

After i got the Inspire situated and set up i upgraded the firmware per the instructions and DJI's over the phone instructions. I also did a cold IMU calibration as well as a compass calibration. I calibrated the Inspire on a perfectly level surface (i tested it). From the first flight the Inspire swayed back and forth badly. I posted in some forums, called DJI and they told me to calibrate the IMU and reload the firmware, which did, same results still.
Im hovering at 7-10 foot and its just moving to the right about 5 foot, then moving to the left about 5 foot non stop. There is no interface in the area i live as i have 2 P4's with zero problems.

The battery that came with the Inspire never lasted more than 14 minutes, from 100% charge i got maybe 14 minutes if that. I get batteries can go bad over time and maybe this thing sat for a while but still, just another red flag.

I ordered a new TB48 series high capacity battery from the same company i ordered the Inspire from (E ZEE ELECTRONICS via Amazon and when i got the battery it was a TB47 in a TB48 box! Another major red flag. Shame on me for not ordering from a DJI authorized dealer.

Looking past all of that i go out to fly the Inspire today in a nice field that I always fly my P4's in and the video transmission signal was horrid, it kept going black, then a bunch of green at the bottom of the screen, then choppy video, it was definitely something with the lightbridge video transmission, the GPS was fine when i switched to the GPS maps. I shut down the Inspire and turned on my P4, it flew perfect with no transmission problems. I shut the P4 off and tried the Inspire again and nothing but video transmission problems.

I know some folks have all the patience in the world but at the end of the day i just don't trust the folks who i bought the Inspire from. I really feel like this Inspire could have been damaged somehow, repaired and resold to me even though it did ask me to activate indicating it had never been used, but nonetheless sometimes you just have to trust your gut feeling.

Im paying a lot of money for a top of the line product and i shouldn't have this many issues and this many red flags.

Good news is, CAMRISE on Amazon is a DJI Authorized dealer and i ordered the same one through them and it arrives Thursday.

Maybe i should not upgrade the firmware when it arrives? Anyways, that's my story, very frustrating and a great learning experience... 2 things i learned...

1 - Avoid E ZEE ELECTRONICS
2 - If it quacks like a duck it probably is a duck!

PS: I attached a video clip (i thought i recorded a longer clip but i screwed up and its only about 5 seconds) which clearly shows the black line appearing on the screen. This happened non stop when i would fly it.

Also this was on a brand new iPad 4 Mini through Verizon.

Tommy

The good news is that returning an item to Amazon is easy. Send it back.
Its a duck!!
I returned an item once to Amazon and got full refund even before I mailed the package back.

The good news is that returning an item to Amazon is easy. Send it back.
Its a duck!!
I returned an item once to Amazon and got full refund even before I mailed the package back.

Hopefully, apparently its a 3rd party seller so Amazon is kinda saying "deal with the seller directly" which makes me nervous but i sent a pretty detailed email with all the issues so well see what happens.

What is the most stable version of the Inspire 1 Pro Firmware just so i dont upgrade if i have the best, i feel like the newest firmware had some serious issues that attributed to my bad experience...

I think Amazon will still step in if there is no resolution. Their name is at stake. You can always do a CC chargeback if paid with credit card.
I stopped upgrading FW 4 months ago when a camera upgrade all but castrated my X5. Fortunately I was able to roll back to the previous FW and all has been fine ever since. I read constant posts on several forums reporting problems with FW updates which reaffirms my decision to stay where I am at.
If it ain't broke.... don't fix it!
I get a little red icon every time I fire up the bird that says FW update needed. I simply disregard it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy Bayshore
I think Amazon will still step in if there is no resolution. Their mane is at stake. You can always do a CC chargeback if paid with credit card.
I stopped upgrading FW 4 months ago when a camera upgrade all but castrated my X5. Fortunately I was able to roll back to the previous FW and all has been fine ever since. I read constant posts on several forums reporting problems with FW updates which reaffirms my decision to stay where I am at.
I get a little red icon every time I fire up the bird that says FW update needed. I simply disregard it.

Good info Aero, which firmware is solid for you?

I don't know which AC FW I am on. I will have to look next time I fire it up.
This was in May, the 5th to be exact..................
After thinking about it for several weeks, I took the plunge!!
I downgraded the firmware on my x5 camera back to Inspire 1 Pro Firmware v1.4.0.70 and boy am I glad I did!!
  • Auto focus has returned.
  • Focus assistant has returned.
  • Gimbal drift is gone.
  • Odd ISO readings gone.

Only thing I have to tolerate is notice that FW needs upgrading.
That's easier to live with than Inspire 1 Pro Firmware v1.8.1.00 was...............

See: Firmware Downgraded on X5 for more details

Reactions: Tommy Bayshore

I'm still on 1.8 something or other. Last time I updated it bricked my x5 and I had to send the whole craft in. They did send me a new one (camera), but it cost me down time. time=money

Got my new Inspire 1 Pro Black Edition today, i think i will leave it on the firmware that it has... is this pretty stable? (see attachment)

Attachments

• 20160915_200247.jpg
    20160915_200247.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 16

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaddeusKo