Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Shutter priority on Inspire1 with Zenmuse X3?

Reaction score
I hope this is a quick question: I have been advised to do a topo survey with my Inspire 1 (with a Zenmuse X3) setting it to shutter priority. I am using Map Pilot Pro. Is it possible to set shutter priority on this camera from within Map Pilot or do I need to do this using DJI Go or similar? Can someone let me know if this is possible and, if so, how to do it?

The advice to use Shutter Priority was spot on. The reason being that in full Auto mode, MapPilot (and any other program) will opt to adjust shutter speed down so low that you may suffer motion blur. Of course, you could fly slower, but that would suck for larger jobs.

Yes, you can set the camera's mode in MapPilot. But remember that the X3 has a fixed aperture (f/2.8, if memory serves). Therefore (assuming the X3 is compatible with MapPilot), it will be adjusting ISO on the fly. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I prefer to see the aperture adjust first before adjusting ISO setting. We're not shooting for beauty, so you have a little more latitude with camera settings.

You will have to keep in mind that if you set the shutter speed too slow, ISO won't be able to compensate for bright situations (like a white roof), as ISO can't go any lower than 100. So I would opt for higher shutter speeds. A good starting point would probably be 1/2000 on a sunny, summer day, with 1/1250-1/1000 a good starting point for a cloudy day. Remember, with mapping photos, the faster the shutter, the better. So don't use any ND filters.

Remember, my recommendations are starting points. You need to fly test flights to find ideal shutter speeds for different situations. Partly cloudy days are going to require near perfect settings.

All that said, the Inspire 1 is not the ideal drone for mapping. But if that's what you have, then that's what you have. After you get it all set up, please share your experience.

Good luck.

D

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide