Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Spouse as partner in Drone work... ?

Reaction score
We‘re busy with sUAV activity, exploring higher Video Editing & Photography skills, 2D Photogrammetry, 3D modeling and the associated apps and programs. Has anyone had their significant “Other” join forces... maybe better at video editing, more creative mindset with the end production tools, or just wants to get involved.

As I approach retirement (5-7yrs) in ”other” job... the income & budget side of family contributions... and get more project oriented with potential alternate income source. My Wife is slowly developing and interest... maybe seeing this as a way to work together or possibly a team to substain the budget... or increase.

She’s now played with the thought of trying the flying side too. Introduces the POC maybe not always being the active Pilot too. She doesn’t have the interest to pursue PT107 certification, just wants a hand in things (at least currently).

This sounds intriguing... might have a positive outcome or might be like our tandem bike adventures... you either love it or hate it... there are no middle roads in tandem biking!

Anyone else cross this path yet?
Any stories?

We‘re busy with sUAV activity, exploring higher Video Editing & Photography skills, 2D Photogrammetry, 3D modeling and the associated apps and programs. Has anyone had their significant “Other” join forces... maybe better at video editing, more creative mindset with the end production tools, or just wants to get involved.

As I approach retirement (5-7yrs) in ”other” job... the income & budget side of family contributions... and get more project oriented with potential alternate income source. My Wife is slowly developing and interest... maybe seeing this as a way to work together or possibly a team to substain the budget... or increase.

She’s now played with the thought of trying the flying side too. Introduces the POC maybe not always being the active Pilot too. She doesn’t have the interest to pursue PT107 certification, just wants a hand in things (at least currently).

This sounds intriguing... might have a positive outcome or might be like our tandem bike adventures... you either love it or hate it... there are no middle roads in tandem biking!

Anyone else cross this path yet?
Any stories?
I actually have a lot of experience at this.

When I first started out in this business (long before the 333), I started on the Phantom 1. For those unfamiliar, the Phantom 1 transmits no telemetry data. Some may deem this "flying blind."

Like many in the industry, my machine was completely custom, outfitted with GoPro cameras with custom Peaux Productions Lenses, DYS 3-axis gimbals for video and 2-axis gimbals for photography, larger battery bays, increased voltage and on and on. My P1's (all 3 of them) also donned FPV systems and 900Mhz Rx/Tx for extended range and reliability.

Try to imagine long-range cinematography/photography with nothing more than line-of-site and FPV goggles. Needless to say I got "lost" twice because I neglected to turn the drone around and get a mental aerial image of my launch site. I know it doesn't sound possible, but imagine flying an airplane and looking for an airport that is nothing more than you and your girlfriend standing in a parking lot in a sea of parking lots. As a result, I crashed my drone twice as it ran out of battery as I fumbled through the air trying to find my way home (remember, no battery telemetry). Lesson learned. Both times I managed to "uncontrolled descent" the bird into bushes, which kept the P1 from suffering major damage. But I digress...

Naturally, because I was wearing goggles, line-of-site (which wasn't even a thing back then) and "situational awareness" were nearly impossible. So I decided to hire my GF as my spotter. Needless to say, she "over-spotted," reporting every tree, telephone pole, etc. No amount of coaching could settle her down. Now, intuitively this sounds like a good thing. But in reality it's very distracting. Add to this a female's natural inability to judge distance and speed very well, and you can see how this would add up to a plethora of "over-reporting." Her "help" was less than stellar.

However, having her there was definitely better than nothing.

Fast forward to today's modern UAV's. Any more these days she's simply there for compliance. However, you should be warned that your spouse will probably get bored very quickly and will lose interest in helping with your aerial jobs - at least that's my experience with Patti.

Here's one of my "old days" videos. Missing from my narration is the constant barrage of information Patti was feeding me the entire time. I had acquired a battery warning system that simply buzzed when voltage reached a certain point. However, the range on this device was limited, so a lack of beeping - which was due to the device being out of range - sometimes left the user with a false sense of security. However, when it DID work, it was a good tool to have.

In the video below, Patti warned me that the battery monitor was buzzing. Because it had been buzzing longer than usual, I started a stalled descent, which ultimately ended in an "uncontrolled landing." Fun times.

As you can imagine, Patti was screaming in my ear the entire time; "The drone is falling!!....you're going to hit a tree!!!...watch out for those power lines!!!" etc. All things I was keenly aware of...LOL... Needless to say, when a pilot is in panic mode, the LAST thing he needs is someone screaming in his ear information he is already well-aware of....LOL....

Enjoy:

Moral of the story; Your wife/GF might NOT be the best candidate for spotter.

D

Last edited:
Reactions: dougcjohn
Hey @Donnie Frank thanks for share... and chuckles!
You've certainly had your share of "couples team work"!

Ya, having VO and Boredom... and the Relationship lowering your supervisor role don't make a good outcome at times. If relationship takes priority, then being overly critical to VO is reduced. My Lovely, if I'm providing instruction that she doesn't desire or feel is warranted... just heads off walking to do her own thang!

I had to laugh a few times on your story... while you're experiencing a butt pucker flight moment, she's providing over saturated guidance. Ya, know you probably didn't respond correctly too... if I inject my own reactions.

My Lovely has untapped artistic talent, and nearing retirement she's discovering more too.
I've attempted to wet the photography / video post work as an avenue and she's entertaining it like a Cat, she's pondering & weighing her time for the outcome.

The partnership team definitely has it's benefits with a few challenges. We got into tandem bikes, had a blast on simple cruises on weekends. We took it on RAGBRAI (7 day ride across Iowa) for a "FUN" day. Climbing a long grade hill, I indicated something about her pedaling maybe 1 time too many... she not only stopped pedaling but dead legged it, making the climb a bit of a struggle on the now silent guy. Ya, I acquired new skills on how to properly express to achieve a positive reaction.

I think if I adjust to "our" expectations, this could be an enjoyable event; Key is "our".
I'll not rush it, I'm content to let it develop on it's own... or if it fades, either works.
She defiantly would be an asset working with on some projects or gaining her artistic ideas.

Hey @Donnie Frank thanks for share... and chuckles!
You've certainly had your share of "couples team work"!

Ya, having VO and Boredom... and the Relationship lowering your supervisor role don't make a good outcome at times. If relationship takes priority, then being overly critical to VO is reduced. My Lovely, if I'm providing instruction that she doesn't desire or feel is warranted... just heads off walking to do her own thang!

I had to laugh a few times on your story... while you're experiencing a butt pucker flight moment, she's providing over saturated guidance. Ya, know you probably didn't respond correctly too... if I inject my own reactions.

My Lovely has untapped artistic talent, and nearing retirement she's discovering more too.
I've attempted to wet the photography / video post work as an avenue and she's entertaining it like a Cat, she's pondering & weighing her time for the outcome.

The partnership team definitely has it's benefits with a few challenges. We got into tandem bikes, had a blast on simple cruises on weekends. We took it on RAGBRAI (7 day ride across Iowa) for a "FUN" day. Climbing a long grade hill, I indicated something about her pedaling maybe 1 time too many... she not only stopped pedaling but dead legged it, making the climb a bit of a struggle on the now silent guy. Ya, I acquired new skills on how to properly express to achieve a positive reaction.

I think if I adjust to "our" expectations, this could be an enjoyable event; Key is "our".
I'll not rush it, I'm content to let it develop on it's own... or if it fades, either works.
She defiantly would be an asset working with on some projects or gaining her artistic ideas.
Hehe...funny you mention the tandem bikes. That's on our list.

I should have probably qualified my comments by sharing that Patti and I get along famously. After 11 years we still laugh together (turns out I'm quite funny) and make a great team. We rarely argue. The VO thing was something she did because she loves me, but not something she necessarily enjoyed. She will still VO for me OCCASIONALLY, but no way would she do it "full time." YMMV.

D

I'd agree, if you're not already close and compatible this wouldn't be a good avenue to explore.

LOL... Watch the Tandems... they say they're marriage makers or breakers.
Probably pretty accurate... and you can go as hard as you want and her at her pace without loosing each other.

We enjoyed it so much, we had a custom built (Bilenky Viewpoint). She (stoker) sits in Ft on a lawn chair type recumbent seat & legs extended and I'm (Captain) in back on a traditional saddle & position. Her power goes through a 9 cluster cog to vary her cadence and ratio... allows her to stop pedaling when we work through bike traffic or simply stop on a non-demanding section and take scenic pictures. We thought the traditional tandem would improve communications, but you're spaced out and wind over ears. The custom puts her head at my handle bars greatly easing communications... harder to learn balance & steer (ft wheel under her seat), but works great!

Add a trailer to the rear for drone equipment & misc gear... Good Fall Trail riding & drone photo opportunities.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
This is a great thread! Made me laugh —

My wife and I have worked together in a few ways over the years. She often stands next to me while I’m flying and suggests angles / shots, but her real talent is color grading. She has 0 experience or training, whereas I spend about 10 hours a day in Premiere a day. But since I’m very very colorblind, I usually have her come in at the 11th hour and color everything before sending to the client.

It’s actually always gone extremely well, and especially with co-flying or high stress working, communication and whatnot is so important so sometimes, your significant other is the best person to fulfill that role

Reactions: dougcjohn

My wife and I have worked together in a few ways over the years. She often stands next to me while I’m flying and suggests angles / shots, but her real talent is color grading. She has 0 experience or training, whereas I spend about 10 hours a day in Premiere a day. But since I’m very very colorblind, I usually have her come in at the 11th hour and color everything before sending to the client.

It’s actually always gone extremely well, and especially with co-flying or high stress working, communication and whatnot is so important so sometimes, your significant other is the best person to fulfill that role
Good examples... even covering your colorblind deficiency! I agree, I’ll dabble for hours... going back & forth on color or transitions.... I’ll ask her opinion, she watches it ‘once’, says this-or-that suggestions. She has a much better artistic eye... Urrrg!

Now... humorously... note the age of the respondents... the nahs and positive.
You’re doing great as a team at your age, I wouldn’t have even requested her assistance 30 years ago!
Might say my “open receptiveness” has refined over the years.

BTW... you mention Premier & Color Grading. If ya have a iPad Pro (2018-2020), check out LumaFusion. Color Grading & Correction with proper add-on is simplistic & accurate. If you give it a serious look, you’ll be impressed especially with 3rd party LUTs, Transitions, etc. As a Multitrack editor (video & audio multi track... I think 12) can out perform PC Editor products running on notebooks... for non-raw video work. The graphics power of the iPad Pro‘s processor can shame higher end GPU’s. Plus, you can easily pass to FCP, Resolve, Premier.

I looked at it very hesitantly, kept reading praise for it; but later more than impressed of both LumaFusion and the power of the iPad Pro compared to built up MacPro, 12 Core, 12GB GPU, 128GB system. So much, my limitation was the 256GB storage and purchased another 2018 iPad Pro 12.9” w 1TB (Used) and Samsung T7 1TB USB-C SSD.

Several great YouTubes on LumaFusion, although this site has a great work through & exercises and nice add-in tools. Korey’s color grading tool or color seperation is quick & accurate. The Text transitions, Keyframing simplicity are impressive. It does lack some tools, but exceeds much! He’s also very prompt to assist with questions.

There are two parts to this. Part 1 - Flight - My better half has no interest.

Part 2 - the business. It started out as a "Whatever" moment, but when the checks started to come in she jumped in with both feet helping with the invoicing, customer relationship management and accounting. It has been a win win. Not only do I get help in the "office" but the "Why are you spending so much money on a toy" comments have ceased (The business bought us a new car last year). OBTW our Golden anniversary is next year.

There are two parts to this. Part 1 - Flight - My better half has no interest.

Part 2 - the business. It started out as a "Whatever" moment, but when the checks started to come in she jumped in with both feet helping with the invoicing, customer relationship management and accounting. It has been a win win. Not only do I get help in the "office" but the "Why are you spending so much money on a toy" comments have ceased (The business bought us a new car last year). OBTW our Golden anniversary is next year.
You hit it very good!
Great point on purchases too! Money coming back in sure helps to "sell" the new Toy!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sjoby08