Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Testing, Testing 1...2.. Recreational Drone Flyer Test . . .

Reaction score
Have all of us received the eMail from the FAA with this general topic: Testing, Testing, 1-2-3 : Recreational Drone Flyer Test Coming Soon! Can your business help?

Yes I did.....

The FAA wants YOU!!

I'm reviewing it now. Not sure how I can make it help my business, but I believe I would be an ideal candidate.

I received it yesterday, and the way I understand it is they want people to respond to their RFI on what methods of testing should be.

So I read the complete RFI today. Lots of FAA double-talk to get something for nothing from us.

I believe they envision places that sell drones, drone services or drone flight lessons as the ideal candidate. They don't clearly say that you can't charge a fee, but they do say the the testing designee may "incur" costs. I'm guessing that since they did not establish a maximum allowable fee, that they won't allow one.

So for one of the envisioned establishments, it may provide a bit of traffic and marketing opprutunity. As far as a photography, video or drone survey company like many of us on this forum, we would not see a benefit.

I would love to help out and help to educate the recreational flyer, but I'm a business man before anything else. If I can charge $50 to baby sit a new flyer I might do it on humanitarian grounds :). Otherwise, it's not for me.

Now I'd gladly be a drone enforcement officer for about $125,00/year if they want me.

Reactions: licensed pilot
Yes I did.....

The FAA wants YOU!!

I'm reviewing it now. Not sure how I can make it help my business, but I believe I would be an ideal candidate.
This is not a job offer. They are asking for suggestions and comment on how best to implement and test hobby flyers.
Free, gratis, you get nothing but a pat on the back, read it carefully.

This is not a job offer. They are asking for suggestions and comment on how best to implement and test hobby flyers.
Free, gratis, you get nothing but a pat on the back, read it carefully.

I realize that. I did read the entire RFI.

They are looking for not only ideas but entities to handle the testing. As an adjunct collage educator I thought my experience would be ideal as a proctor. I’m also background checked for working with children. I have a commercial location.

Unfortunately, I think they are looking for locations that sell drone products etc. that can use the testing service as a lost leader of sorts.

If they were smart they would allow a small fee to be charged. I think they will get more takers. Yes, they are looking for ideas and that is what we do here as well.

The comment about drone police as meant to be light hearted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alecia4669