Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

U.S. adding Chinese drone company DJI to economic blacklist

This will have a knock on effect, such as possibly no care refresh available to US customers.

You will not be seeing DJI products available in places like Best Buy etc.

Wouldn't be surprised If you see the apps pulled from Google Play and Apple store as well.

No spares, or sparse supply with expensive tariffs on everything.

The sky is falling and there will be fighting in the aisles to get toilet paper for lockdown and grab the last DJI products from the shelves before they disappear forever!!

No - not really. It’s going to have little to no effect whatsoever.
This blacklist is for companies supplying Chinese entities not the other way round.
DJI do not source any of their parts from the US, with the exception maybe being the Texas Instruments BMS chip inside their batteries (even their latest thermal imaging is not FLIR) so it’s really a moot point.
Worst situation is a US company would have to apply for a federal license to supply DJI.

No need to panic buy in Best Buy just yet....nothing really will change.
The same way that Huawei phones are readily available in the US so will DJI products be.

This oddly continues, along with similar subject on Banning Chinese (DJI) drones in Govt activity. It‘s not that either may not have merit to some degree, but that applies to so much more that’s ignored or allowed that would indicate lack of logic & fact, and more politics & speculation. To avoid a discussion on Party politics, the Politics meant is “business politics” and the attempt to gain market majority. The whole foundation of big companies & BVLS involves this economic subject, drone brands, FAA regs, Govt contracts, etc.

Similar to the “drone“ Ban that was getting pre-traction like it was already enforced, and some state agencies quickly joined... not even considering the whole scope or facts.

A few years previous, the top rated Kaspersky Malware product was ejected & banned from Fed Govt... still today zero fact or evidence... just suspicion politically driven.

Although, regarding the Drone Ban... the subject that‘s probably the catalyst to multiple Chinese reactions... which is great media hype mixing drone fear & Chinese while the total economic market involved is minuscule in size & participation compared to cellular, TV, network, automotive and other electronics.

3 weeks ago, Interesting and I feel rational, the “Chinese Drone“ Ban was recently challenged and Rejected by Congressional committee. So the “catalyst“ to the Economic Black List Ban and other proposals will most likely fail and not pass and become Law. But these other actions such as this blacklist will attempt to continue.

Reactions: Phillip DeVore
Before this thread goes the wrong route a reminder of our

General Rules

13. Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are not permitted in the community and will be closed or removed.

For government agencies only!! Everybody’s freaking out and they’re not paying attention to what is really happening.

Hopefully the comments below are apolitical enough, as I'm trying to stick to just the facts and a long standing opinion of mine regarding the US economic relationship with China.

True. An immediate effect though is US companies can't export to DJI. In reality, I'm not sure any US companies we're exporting to DJI so the effect will initially be minimal to non-existent. Unfortunately, justified or not, the US Govt seems to have a need to find a Boogie Man, and right now that seems to be some select Chinese companies.

Pulling out of the Trans Pacific Partnership has implications for the US.

In my opinion, if this was about US national security, we should have thought about that 40 years ago when we began outsourcing our high tech chip fabs to China. 40 years on and pulling that card is a little late.

Reactions: dougcjohn
This has had a trickle down effect. There are public sector utility companies that are stipulating as part of their contracts that DJI drones no longer be used around their infrastructure. The problem is there is nothing that comes remotely close to the capabilities of many of the DJI offerings. Sure a large co.pany could take the Financial hit to replace things like the M200 or M300 with a z30 or H20. Small guys cannnot do that easy. Its not hard to use someone elses software to ensure some sort of safety that the clients are looking for. Just seems all the bad press has really tainted DJI name to some clients, and they dont understand that there are a lot of capabilities that other drone manufactures are not even close to doing that DJI drones do very well.

Reactions: dougcjohn
I've lost track with "rumors", pending and released... wasn't DJI planning (or has) to release a version of SW and I think FW for Enterprise platforms that all associated connectivity concerns are not present or can be limited or fully turned off? Personally, I even feel this is nice but not warranted.

I'm one level down from even justifying a M300 and associated budget. I'm not flushing current platforms: M600Pro (2), M210, I2, M2E, etc and XT2, XT, X7, Z30, etc payloads to get involved in State or Prvt Companies that want to enforce a ban that didn't even materialize from the Fed Govt... recall it was rejected by Congressional Committee. Multiple Fed entities continue to purchase DJI: Military, FEMA, US Mashals, Ag and Geological as examples.

I'm aware of a Utility Company initially passed a non-DJI policy until they realized their M600Pro's with LiDar payloads, and Argus Sprayer (weed control) platforms would have a huge replacement cost. I believe they reversed that policy.

As mentioned previously, if this had any validity, there's a whole lot more that should be addressed long before the small percentage that involves sUAV usage.

I've lost track with "rumors", pending and released... wasn't DJI planning (or has) to release a version of SW and I think FW for Enterprise platforms that all associated connectivity concerns are not present or can be limited or fully turned off? Personally, I even feel this is nice but not warranted.

I'm one level down from even justifying a M300 and associated budget. I'm not flushing current platforms: M600Pro (2), M210, I2, M2E, etc and XT2, XT, X7, Z30, etc payloads to get involved in State or Prvt Companies that want to enforce a ban that didn't even materialize from the Fed Govt... recall it was rejected by Congressional Committee. Multiple Fed entities continue to purchase DJI: Military, FEMA, US Mashals, Ag and Geological as examples.

I'm aware of a Utility Company initially passed a non-DJI policy until they realized their M600Pro's with LiDar payloads, and Argus Sprayer (weed control) platforms would have a huge replacement cost. I believe they reversed that policy.

As mentioned previously, if this had any validity, there's a whole lot more that should be addressed long before the small percentage that involves sUAV usage.
I agree, I belive the issue that is currently at hand for me will change when the realization that the expectations of data will not be met with other platforms. Yes you can run in local data mode and not sync to DJI servers. That is part of current requirements. Requirements are about 2 months away from a complete DJI "Ban" for this project. This project is somewhat large and covers 2 states. That is about all I am comfortable discussing on an open forum. But it will have some serious implications. Because of the nature of the customer I am expecting to see this start to trickle down due to the integrated nature of this particular industry. I am hoping I am wrong on that.

On the humorous side, it'll most likely occur "exceptions" will materialize to allow various platforms due to lack or cost of alternatives. Those exceptions will most likely be focused on larger payload / speciality payloads and enforcement on smaller platforms that can realistically be replaced easily will continue. If this was to become reality, it would simply reinforce the true purpose, to control / limit one Brand over another.

If that were to materialize, I hope it provides justified challenges and legal arguments. This would then in-turn minimize other States or Companies to jump on the band wagon for a ridiculous unproductive direction.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth