Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Video card for 4k vid?

Reaction score
Website
www.intheairphotography.com
Any suggestions for a video card for 4k video? Windows 10 64bit. I have an Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) now - too slow :( Looking at a GTX 1080; right now I'm doing mainly 3840x2160 29.97fps but might move up to 60fps if I get an SSD. I have an i7 chip so I'm pretty sure my vid card is what's slowing stuff down.

Are you finding playback slow or editing? If editing, what are you using to edit? What format are the files you're editing in?

I ask these questions because I struggled with editing 4K until I made some changes. I was capturing in 4K H.265 and found editing in Premiere to be incredibly slow and frustrating despite having a 8 core i7, 32GB of memory, fast SSDs and a GTX1080. Then I realised it was the way the H.265 codec works which causes the issues. To render a single frame in H.265, it needs to read and render a few seconds of the video prior to get a full frame. H.264 is similar but less intensive. So for every frame it was rendering hundreds during playback with any effects, adjustements or colour correction turned on.

So I started using CineForm compressed proxy footage in Premiere. Life was good. Only trick with proxy footage in Premiere is that you have to 'turn it on'. Add the proxy button to your playback window and toggle it on.

Are you finding playback slow or editing? If editing, what are you using to edit? What format are the files you're editing in?

I ask these questions because I struggled with editing 4K until I made some changes. I was capturing in 4K H.265 and found editing in Premiere to be incredibly slow and frustrating despite having a 8 core i7, 32GB of memory, fast SSDs and a GTX1080. Then I realised it was the way the H.265 codec works which causes the issues. To render a single frame in H.265, it needs to read and render a few seconds of the video prior to get a full frame. H.264 is similar but less intensive. So for every frame it was rendering hundreds during playback with any effects, adjustements or colour correction turned on.

So I started using CineForm compressed proxy footage in Premiere. Life was good. Only trick with proxy footage in Premiere is that you have to 'turn it on'. Add the proxy button to your playback window and toggle it on.
It has trouble with playback or even preview - if I have the color window open, too, slows to a crawl. I'm using Premiere. My system is much like yours except I have a GT 1050 Ti w/4GB of RAM. That's why I was thinking of upgrading to a GTX 1080. I've been using H.264. I'll try that CineForm - thanks for the tip.

It has trouble with playback or even preview - if I have the color window open, too, slows to a crawl. I'm using Premiere. My system is much like yours except I have a GT 1050 Ti w/4GB of RAM. That's why I was thinking of upgrading to a GTX 1080. I've been using H.264. I'll try that CineForm - thanks for the tip.
Here is Adobe's help page on using proxy footage: Basic Premiere Pro editing workflow

The hardest part about the instructions is finding the Toggle Proxies button. Here is how you add that to your UI:

hMzRU0B.png

If the icon is blue then proxies are on, you should immediately see a change in playback speed between having proxies toggled on and off.

Reactions: roblevine
Here is Adobe's help page on using proxy footage: Basic Premiere Pro editing workflow

The hardest part about the instructions is finding the Toggle Proxies button. Here is how you add that to your UI:

hMzRU0B.png

If the icon is blue then proxies are on, you should immediately see a change in playback speed between having proxies toggled on and off.
Holy moly thank you - what a difference!

Reactions: DaveAU

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kajal142