Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Video editing basics in DaVinci Resolve 15: The Color page, part 3

Reaction score
Website
www.portlandprodrones.com
This is an article I wrote for Photofocus.com. I hope this is helpful.

Video editing basics in DaVinci Resolve 15-The Color page -part 3.png
The Color page videos are broken down into 3 parts. This is part 3 of the 3. Other parts of my DaVinci Resolve 15 installments are in the links below.

DaVinci Resolve 15 – Media Page article here.
DaVinci Resolve 15 – Edit Page – Part 1 article here.
DaVinci Resolve 15 – Edit Page – Part 2 article here.
DaVinci Resolve 15 – Edit Page – Part 3 article here.
DaVinci Resolve 15 – Color Page – Part 1 article here.
DaVinci Resolve 15 – Color Page – Part 2 article here.

In video editing, my primary tool is DaVinci Resolve. While I do use Final Cut Pro X for some things, I have a real fondness for DaVinci. One thing to note is that it requires a more powerful graphics card than FCPX. The good news is you can try it for free to see if your computer can run it. The free version of Davinci Resolve 15, both Mac and Windows, can be found here – you will find it on the bottom of the linked page. It is really quite amazing what they give you in the free version!
DaVinci Resolve 15 is broken down into pages. These pages include the Media, Edit, Fusion, Color, Fairlight, and Deliver. In this video, I am going to show you the basics of the Color Page in DaVinci Resolve 15.
One more important note is that when you are updating to newer versions of Davinci Resolve, be sure to run Uninstall Resolve, before installing the new version. This Black Magic Design’s recommendation.

You'll find the full Article here.
Video editing basics in DaVinci Resolve 15: The Color page, part 3 | Photofocus

View attachment 22295
The Color page videos are broken down into 3 parts. This is part 3 of the 3. Other parts of my DaVinci Resolve 15 installments are in the links below.

In video editing, my primary tool is DaVinci Resolve. While I do use Final Cut Pro X for some things, I have a real fondness for DaVinci. One thing to note is that it requires a more powerful graphics card than FCPX. The good news is you can try it for free to see if your computer can run it. The free version of Davinci Resolve 15, both Mac and Windows, can be found here – you will find it on the bottom of the linked page. It is really quite amazing what they give you in the free version!
DaVinci Resolve 15 is broken down into pages. These pages include the Media, Edit, Fusion, Color, Fairlight, and Deliver. In this video, I am going to show you the basics of the Color Page in DaVinci Resolve 15.
One more important note is that when you are updating to newer versions of Davinci Resolve, be sure to run Uninstall Resolve, before installing the new version. This Black Magic Design’s recommendation.

Chris, again thanks for the videos... all great resources. Especially for me, I’m in the process of focusing to learn one of the Editors this Winter. I was leaning towards FCP X, but downloaded and installed DV15 to examine. Not familiar with video editors (still photography) they all seem foreign and layout to get started confusing.

Are your Videos per the Full DV15 version, will using the free version be in sync or missing tools discussed?

I’ve read where FCPX is easier or more understanding to learn compared to DV15 & Adobe Premier? Your opinion, based on a video noob?

Reactions: Phil DeVore
Chris, again thanks for the videos... all great resources. Especially for me, I’m in the process of focusing to learn one of the Editors this Winter. I was leaning towards FCP X, but downloaded and installed DV15 to examine. Not familiar with video editors (still photography) they all seem foreign and layout to get started confusing.

Are your Videos per the Full DV15 version, will using the free version be in sync or missing tools discussed?

I’ve read where FCPX is easier or more understanding to learn compared to DV15 & Adobe Premier? Your opinion, based on a video noob?

Thanks!

As far as editors go, Davinci definitely has a learning curve. I use both and have recently been doing a number of projects in FCPX. FCPX works a bit differently than traditional track base editors like Davinci and Premiere. There are things I like about both.

Since you are starting from scratch, I would suggest starting with FCPX and see how that works for you. There is a FCPX trail here:Final Cut Pro X - Free Trial

Also some of the best paid on-line training, I've experienced is Ripple Training for both FCPX and Davinci. Their training is worth the price to me.

You'll find FCPX here: Final Cut Pro Learning Path – Ripple Training
You'll find Davinci here: DaVinci Resolve Learning Path – Ripple Training

Chris

Thanks!

As far as editors go, Davinci definitely has a learning curve. I use both and have recently been doing a number of projects in FCPX. FCPX works a bit differently than traditional track base editors like Davinci and Premiere. There are things I like about both.

Since you are starting from scratch, I would suggest starting with FCPX and see how that works for you. There is a FCPX trail here:Final Cut Pro X - Free Trial

Also some of the best paid on-line training, I've experienced is Ripple Training for both FCPX and Davinci. Their training is worth the price to me.

You'll find FCPX here: Final Cut Pro Learning Path – Ripple Training
You'll find Davinci here: DaVinci Resolve Learning Path – Ripple Training

Chris

Haven't tried Ripple, I see Apple also encourages Ripple. I've used Lynda.com in past for IT related training and see they too offer FCPx training and a few DV12 & DV14 videos. Looks like Ripple is solely for the video editing training. I'll probably use Lynda.com subscription to get started on FCPx and yours for DV15... if still lost, Ripple would be next in line.

View attachment 22295

Thanks for the info about DaVinci Resolve because I am trying to learn how to use it for my Inspire 2 videos and I appreciate all the help I can get at this point. I just bought a 2015 iMac and I hope it’s big enough to run this program.

Reactions: CP Anson
Thanks for the info about DaVinci Resolve because I am trying to learn how to use it for my Inspire 2 videos and I appreciate all the help I can get at this point. I just bought a 2015 iMac and I hope it’s big enough to run this program.

Your iMac 2015 is a great machine. Not knowing which one you got, but they offered up to a 27" 5K screen. If your's came with lower Meg, it can easily be upgraded to higher RAM and HD's can be swapped out for newer high capacity SSD's. You have a super platform to go forward with 4K video. I have 2011 iMac 27, i7 CPU, 32Meg, 2 x SSD HD (1TB & 2TB) performs great but limited to a 2K screen of the era which doesn't really limit me... although it's now capped in MacOS to High Sierra, no biggie! Just added a (not arrived yet) 2018 MacBookPro, i9, 32GB, 2TB with 5K video to Docked Screens. Will keep the iMac too!

Enjoy the iMac, and good luck on DV15

Your iMac 2015 is a great machine. Not knowing which one you got, but they offered up to a 27" 5K screen. If your's came with lower Meg, it can easily be upgraded to higher RAM and HD's can be swapped out for newer high capacity SSD's. You have a super platform to go forward with 4K video. I have 2011 iMac 27, i7 CPU, 32Meg, 2 x SSD HD (1TB & 2TB) performs great but limited to a 2K screen of the era which doesn't really limit me... although it's now capped in MacOS to High Sierra, no biggie! Just added a (not arrived yet) 2018 MacBookPro, i9, 32GB, 2TB with 5K video to Docked Screens. Will keep the iMac too!

Enjoy the iMac, and good luck on DV15
I was lucky enough to get the late 2015 27” iMac with the i5 Intel processor running Sierra OS X with 8 GB RAM and the AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB VRAM. I got it used but it was in amazing shape and I got it for a very reasonable price so I couldn’t pass it up. I am hoping that it’s going to be enough to do what I need to do with DaVinci Resolve 15. Right now I am using the free version but I intend on upgrading soon. Let me know if you think it’s going to work out or not please.

I was lucky enough to get the late 2015 27” iMac with the i5 Intel processor running Sierra OS X with 8 GB RAM and the AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB VRAM. I got it used but it was in amazing shape and I got it for a very reasonable price so I couldn’t pass it up. I am hoping that it’s going to be enough to do what I need to do with DaVinci Resolve 15. Right now I am using the free version but I intend on upgrading soon. Let me know if you think it’s going to work out or not please.

When you go to the "Apple" Icon in upper left of screen... "About this Mac", then select "System Report" and select "Graphics / Display". Look down past the graphics card to the Display... it either shows 2K resolution or 5K resolution.

The 8GB (2 x 4GB SIMMS) can very easily be upgraded to 32GB (4 x 8GB SIMMS), I think that year's MB can extend to 64GB, My 2011 says 16GB but goes 32GB, and I think 2015 says 32GB but registers 64GB. Either way, 32GB would easily improve the system performance for video work much better than the 8GB. It's a very simple swap, through a small access panel... maybe 20 minutes top!

The R9 and 2GB is ample video processing power. I'd suggest bumping the RAM out to 32GB and entertain adding a large capacity SSD drive.

32 GB RAM for iMac 2015 (really any of them) @ $230
https://www.amazon.com/OWC-SO-DIMM-PC3-14900-Memory-Upgrade/dp/B018VEJ4AS?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4&th=1

It's FREE upgrade, I'd upgrade to the newest Mac OS too... Mojave 10.14.
The gains are a nice improvement form Sierra.... High Sierra was a nice improvement too for that matter.

If you need any technical help... PM me or email me - [email protected]

Just in case... I'm not sure where you are on Mac savvy... I'd recommend upgrading to Mojave 10.14 prior to getting yourself all loaded up with programs & tools. Just in case on the rare event you need to install from scratch.

To ease the upgrade, or install easily from scratch... Fresh Install.
Make a bootable 8GB USB Stick easily by using the Install Disk Creator utility... free & safe.
Install Disk Creator -

Download Mojave, STOP do not install... Quit.
Run Install Disk Creator, select Mojave as the Mac OS and select your USB 8GB stick as destination.
Let it run... 20-30 minutes normally to complete.

Reboot with USB Stick inserted, after the Apple "Bong", hold down Option KEY, Select USB Stick - Mojave to Boot.
Follow the prompts and it will install either NEW Fresh or Upgrade On top... your option.

A
When you go to the "Apple" Icon in upper left of screen... "About this Mac", then select "System Report" and select "Graphics / Display". Look down past the graphics card to the Display... it either shows 2K resolution or 5K resolution.

The 8GB (2 x 4GB SIMMS) can very easily be upgraded to 32GB (4 x 8GB SIMMS), I think that year's MB can extend to 64GB, My 2011 says 16GB but goes 32GB, and I think 2015 says 32GB but registers 64GB. Either way, 32GB would easily improve the system performance for video work much better than the 8GB. It's a very simple swap, through a small access panel... maybe 20 minutes top!

The R9 and 2GB is ample video processing power. I'd suggest bumping the RAM out to 32GB and entertain adding a large capacity SSD drive.

32 GB RAM for iMac 2015 (really any of them) @ $230
https://www.amazon.com/OWC-SO-DIMM-PC3-14900-Memory-Upgrade/dp/B018VEJ4AS?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4&th=1

It's FREE upgrade, I'd upgrade to the newest Mac OS too... Mojave 10.14.
The gains are a nice improvement form Sierra.... High Sierra was a nice improvement too for that matter.

If you need any technical help... PM me or email me - [email protected]
No I am not Mac savvy but l already upgraded to the latest Mojave software but I can’t afford the other upgrades you suggested right now but thanks for the information. I’ll PM you when I am ready to get the other things installed. I am taking an iMac class next weekend and hopefully this will help me to learn at least the basics before I head out to the other things I need to do.
Thanks again

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing all the parts in this post. Gladly I don't need to look for them online. I'll have a look at them!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop