Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Video Editing Computer Specs Advice?Gurus.......

Reaction score
Guys
got a potential deal on a iMac Specs as below
3.4ghz intel core i7
24 gb 1600 mhz ddr3
nvidia geforce gtx 680mx 2048 mb
Any good for video editing with fcp x,adobe pp?
My mac book pro is not cutting the mustard.........
Thanks in advance

Add a solid state HD as a later updgrade. I believe the imacs come with with a 5400rpm HD which isn't the fastest. You should be good to go regardless. I'm running a Mac Mini i5 w/ 16gigs and a solid state dive and it runs fine for 90% of the video I edit with.

Add a solid state HD as a later updgrade. I believe the imacs come with with a 5400rpm HD which isn't the fastest. You should be good to go regardless. I'm running a Mac Mini i5 w/ 16gigs and a solid state dive and it runs fine for 90% of the video I edit with.
Forgot to add its got 8gb as well.
Just wondering if as it is its good to go or will I have to upgrade.
If upgrades are expensive may well bite the bullet and buy new.
Just researching before I pull the trigger.
You know how it is

Tweaker,

I have the exact same spec apart from only 16gb memory and a 3TB fusion drive, plus a Thunderbolt Lacie BIG2TB drive, you will be fine with this spec, I use Final Cut Pro X, really easy to work with and exports the 4k in at native resolution from the Inspire1. You may want to consider a thunderbolt drive if yo u have the money, I use mine to store the raw footage while using FCP, a solid state hard drive will be great for opening and running every day apps, but at 4k the raw footage takes up mases of GBs, some of my projects have over 200gb of footage then you'll need several hundred for processing video, I would say a thunderbolt drive is a better investment than a solid state. I have a 500gb solid state on my retina mac pro running FCP, yes "tbarnesarc" is correct it'll run faster, but FCP will use mases of GBs video editing

Reactions: tbarnesarc
Tweaker,

I have the exact same spec apart from only 16gb memory and a 3TB fusion drive, plus a Thunderbolt Lacie BIG2TB drive, you will be fine with this spec, I use Final Cut Pro X, really easy to work with and exports the 4k in at native resolution from the Inspire1. You may want to consider a thunderbolt drive if yo u have the money, I use mine to store the raw footage while using FCP, a solid state hard drive will be great for opening and running every day apps, but at 4k the raw footage takes up mases of GBs, some of my projects have over 200gb of footage then you'll need several hundred for processing video, I would say a thunderbolt drive is a better investment than a solid state. I have a 500gb solid state on my retina mac pro running FCP, yes "tbarnesarc" is correct it'll run faster, but FCP will use mases of GBs video editing
Tbarnesarc and Cheeky Monkey thank you guys.Really appreciate this forum and the guys on it!!
Always ready to chime in and spread the knowledge.
Good stuff

Cheeky Monkey I forgot to add the external drives point too. Opps. I haven't gone the thunderbolt route yet but my usb 3.0 drives seem to be working fine so far. I have a 2tb USB 3 external drive for my lightroom library and a 4tb external usb 3 drive for my premiere projects and video content.

Tweaker it seems that the call these days is to run your OS on the internal drive and store your media on externals. It's been working great for the past few years for me. You'll be stoked on your setup regardless. Enjoy it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
komalss