Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA What is the simplest way to get LAANC authorization? Update: soon DJI!

Reaction score
LAANC just went live for my region. I have a shoot scheduled in 11 days that lies inside the restricted airspace of Boston Logan airport.

What is the simplest way to get LAANC authorization for this flight? I have been looking at SkyWard, but it seems they are selling a more comprehensive platform than just LAANC authorizations.

What partner is the simplest, and least expensive, for LAANC?

Thanks.

Update: DJI Can Now Authorize Drone Flights in Controlled Airspace

Last edited:
Skyward is free and quick (almost immediate). Give you an example, I've been working a construction site in a FAM grid limited to 100 feet. The class B airport is 4.4 miles from the site and in a line with two main runways. By the time airliners fly over me they are at 2-3,000 feet.

Now the height of cranes requires me to go higher then 100 ft. Last night I filed a LAANC request for 250 feet yesterday, ATC called me same day and requested I added items #3&4 below. Resubmitted last night. Got up this morning and found the approval in my inbox. Doesn't get any better than that. :D

If it helps, my justification:

1. Two construction cranes on job site, highest FAM grid height is not sufficient to complete the job.
2. Tallest crane is approximately 250 feet in height.
3. The UAS shall not fly higher than the tallest crane, 250 feet, at any time.
4. The UAS will remain within a 500 foot radius of the tallest crane.
5. Upon approach of any manned aircraft the UAS will descend, and land if necessary.
6. The PIC holds a Commercial Pilot Certificate and is familiar with air traffic at this location, flown this construction site as UAS PIC for over two months.

Last edited:
I am going to the shooting location today to try it out. Can you tell me what steps I would do to get authorization via Skyward? I don't see an app; is it done on skyward.io? What service did you sign up for? What section of the web site us used?

Thanks.

I am going to the shooting location today to try it out. Can you tell me what steps I would do to get authorization via Skyward? I don't see an app; is it done on skyward.io? What service did you sign up for? What section of the web site us used?

Thanks.
I never use apps. I file online at skyward.io, there's no charge. It's been too long and I do not remember the steps. It should be easy.

nahant.png I went to the site yesterday to try it, and I could not make heads or tails of the skyward.io site on my phone.

I ended up using the AirMap app, and I think that it worked. Can anybody with AirMap experience verify that this checkbox and "Authorization Upon Submission" message indicates that I received LAANC authorization?

nahant.png

Turns out this is not all the way there. I needed to press the Submit button, at which point the orange banner would have turned green and said, "Approved", with an FAA confirmation number included.

I will try again tomorrow.

Update: I used AirMap, and it worked perfectly. This is what the authorization looks like:

auth.png

I also got a text from the FAA with a confirmation number.

I did get a rejection at one point, because I accidentally specified a maximum height of 300 feet. AirMap says the maximum allowed height ranges from 150 feet to 250 feet there, so it got rejected.

Thanks.

Hey Goodluck :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baie Car